cutmaster51 / torchmate problem

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
billphillips
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cutmaster51 / torchmate problem

Post by billphillips »

Last week I accidentally dropped a plate and it hit my 25 foot atc cable from the cutmaster 51 to my table , there was no visible damage to the cable other than a shallow dent mark, now my 51 will not fire, all indicator lights are as required, good air, clean grounds to work piece. But the unit does not want to fire I have an sl100 torch how does one dismantle the torch body so I can access any wiring to complete a continuity check on any wires that run in the cable any guidance would be appreciated. replacement cable from my local distributer and a 2 week delivery, so I need to check every possibility before I spend a small fortune ( about 480.00) on ordering one. Running an older 4x4 torch mate system, Reading the torch manual is not helping much

thanks in advance

bill in red deer
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: cutmaster51 / torchmate problem

Post by mlinehan »

When you say it does not fire, what happens when you give it a start signal?

Does the gas flow? If no, then the start signal likely did not get to the logic. That will not have to do with the torch lead. If you are using the torch with the solenoid on the tube, then that might be the torch lead, power wires to the solenoid open.

Does the DC light blink? If yes, then the logic might see a short, which might be damaged wires in the lead.

At the quick disconnect, measure for continuity from the gas fitting to the pilot return connector (the flat one). With the consumable parts removed,you should not see any continuity there.
billphillips
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cutmaster51 / torchmate problem

Post by billphillips »

Mlinehan,

I got the torch to fire today, but now it keeps losing the controller signal, I think I need to bypass the torch control circuit to an external line from the torch lead, it appears that the pip circuit is ok, I will pick up some spade connectors tomorrow and try it

thanks for your help

bill in red deer

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”