Need some help

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Sgt Joker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need some help

Post by Sgt Joker »

I have a an a40 thermal dynamics plasma with a machine torch, it has a cpc port with the following wires coming out of it, start and stop, divided arc voltage +and -, ok move and dry contact. My plasma table runs off of a gecko g540 board and also has a relay I was wondering if any one knows how to connect the wires, I connected the two start and stop wires to the relay separately but when I run the program the torch doesn't fire. Do I need all of the wires connected and if so where to, also I run mach3 and sheetcam, do I need to change anything in either of these to get the torch to work, any help is greatly appreciated. SGT JOKER
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Need some help

Post by mlinehan »

You wrote that you connected the start/stop wires separately. The start signal is just closed contacts, both wires must be connected to the relay. Test it by crossing the two wires without using the relay.
Sgt Joker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Sgt Joker »

I had them connected to the relay separately to each prong and still nothing when I touch them Together i get a arc, I was wondering if there is anything in mach3 that needs changed, also are the + and - divided arc volt and the ok move and dry contact for the height control and if so how are those wired ? Thanks for the help it greatly appreciated.
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

There are 3 separate signals in that interface connection

Pins 3 & 4 are the start signal. Close to start, open to stop. Usually a system like yours has a relay which closes on command from the CNC and this makes the connection between 3 & 4 to start the arc. So check to see that the relay closes when you try to start. If not, check to see that the relay is connected correctly to the CNC and that the CNC is actually sending a start signal. It could just be that your computer program does not have the start commend programmed in.

Arc voltage is a measurement of the distance between electrode and plate. The arc voltage signal is connected to your height controller and is the reference that tells the height controller to move up or down one cutting has started. Pins 5&6 or 7&9 give you arc voltage. Most systems like yours use 7&9 for full arc voltage. 5&6 are a divided arc voltage, so the full arc voltage is divided by 16 or 30 or 50, selectable on the interface pcb. See pg 3T-1 in your operator's manual.

Pins 12 and 14 are a dry contact for OK-to move. This means that a relay in the interface closes to complete the OK-to-Move circuit. This occurs when the current sensing circuit sees current in the work lead, meaning that cutting has begun and it is OK to start movement.

From your description, I am not clear whether you will use arc voltage or OK-to Move with your system.
Sgt Joker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Sgt Joker »

I have the wires connected to the relay when I cross the wires I get an arc but for some reason when I run mach3 it won't start I even changed the relay just to make sure, in the g code it says m03 starts the torch but when it gets there it doesn't start I don't know if there is something else in mach3 I need to turn on or what, that's for the help.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Sounds like your pin assignments in Mach3 are wrong, which would make the relay not activate. From the CPC you'll need to connect pins 3 and 4, which are torch on/off, to a relay that activates when you call M03. M03 needs to be configured properly so that when it is called it activates the correct pins and thus, the correct relay.

If you have no THC, it will work with just torch on/off as long as Mach3 THC mode is turned off. If you have a THC (Depending on who's THC) you'll need to connect pins 5 and 6 to it. Most of the hobby THC's use raw arc voltage input rather than the factory divider board.

Pins 12 and 14 are for ArcOK and connect to an input on the G540. The pins for that input need to be mapped to "THC On" in ports and pins. If Mach3 THC mode is on, Mach will wait for an ArcOK signal before it moves....and is the arc is lost wile cutting, Mach will pause until the arc is restored. Again, depending on your THC, you may or may not have to use Mach3 THC mode.

Who's electronics do you have? Who's table? Or did you build it all from scratch?
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
Sgt Joker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Sgt Joker »

I got the pins and ports setup in mach and the spindle but still nothing. the board is a gecko g540 and the relay is A40 a1. It has me stumped. Thanks for the help
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

Whose Table do you have, whose software, operating system are you using?
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”