Thermal Dynamic A60 issues

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Thermal Dynamic A60 issues

Post by jsd010 »

My district has recently purchased 3 Torchmate 4x4 tables with Thermal Dynamics A60 torches. From the beginning we have noticed that the cap is hard to unscrew. It usually requires two sets of pliers to loosen after having it only hand tightened. It got so bad today that when trying to change my tip to a 60A that I broke the torch head itself into 2 pieces and am having either replace my entire lead or head of the torch.

Has anyone else had issues with the cap getting stuck and not being able to access the tip, charger, or electrode? My regular plasma torch and all others I have ever used have been able to be loosened by hand. This is the first time I have had this issue, and it is not crossthreaded.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thermal Dynamic A60 issues

Post by timberfab »

there are a few different shield caps. they look very similar, but are different lengths. each cap corresponds to as different amperage tip (which are also slightly different sizes). Make sure you are using the correct shield cap. that information is in the parts diagram break down in your manual.

Everyone is going to tell you to get rid of your thermal dynamics plasma cutter for a hypertherm. I'd say take your time, be patient, work out the bugs, and use them. i have had a few and never really had any bad experiences with them.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

This is what happened when trying to take it off with pliers.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
cnchybrid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cnchybrid »

Josh I'm so sorry that you have been dealing with this problem. That is the first time that I have seen that happen before. It is critical that you do not over tighten the shield cup. I know you are mechanically inclined to know to not cross-thread the shield cup. I've seen you install them with my own eyes. Hopefully one of your students didn't over tighten it while you were away from the machine and used pliers to do so.

Call Thermal Dynamics and let them know what has happened and if there is any way that they can help. After all you guys bought 3 plasma cutters from their distributor and that should stand for something I would hope. Maybe even call your distributor who you bought the plasma cutter from and see if he has any spare parts/torches that he could give you?

Anyways if you want you can shoot me a call tomorrow and I can let you vent and after that maybe come to a solution. I understand that Ed's torch was assembled wrong at the factory. Could be from the same batch but with you changing out your consumables multiple times I think it has to be on your end or the students.

Well this is long winded so let me know what you come up with. I will be at home base tomorrow and then off to California Thursday at a school there.

Take care buddy,
James
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

I have contacted TD, and have yet to hear a response. I went ahead and ordered a new lead through my distributor. Ironically, I got my table working (motor cards weren't set right in the control box) the day after I broke the tip. Hopefully next Wednesday when I receive my new lead I can test the table out with a torch, Just have to rerun the lead through the carriages. I am going to send off the broken lead with my distributor to see if he can refurbish it, then try to sell it. I have told the other teachers in my district to contact TD to see if they have a solution and to quit using pliers.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
timberfab

Post by timberfab »

you don't need the entire lead. you can replace just what is broken.. part number and description

Torch Head Assembly without leads (includes items 2, 3, and 14) - 9-8220
timberfab

Post by timberfab »

That would be supper awesome then!
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

Yea, that's not happening. $700 but im making some back.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Did you get your issue squared away?
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

As of right now, I am still waiting on my distributor to fix it. I had to get them the parts because they said it was not covered under warranty, (I called and got the part for free) and they have been avoiding my weekly phone calls. It sucks that they close before I can visit them after work. I have a day off coming soon and will pay them a visit.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”