THC on a Cutmaster42

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

THC on a Cutmaster42

Post by donniem70 »

I have a cutmaster42 currently in use on my small home built CNC plasma table. It works pretty good, but as always I want to make it a little better.

I purchased a Proma 150 THC that I would like to install in it. My issue is I am not sure where to hook up the arc +- wires on the cutmaster.
The Proma has the option to use div current or full.

I did do a search and found some recommendations on using the 7-3452 adapter kit for wiring in the trigger wires (mine a already wired though).
Would this adapter make it easier to do the arc wiring? Or is that something I need to do in the machine? If so, where? lol.

The only thing I see in the torch lead is the two Trigger wires (pins 3&4) a Short Jumper (pins 1&2) and the Negative/Plasma

Thanks for any help
Donnie
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC on a Cutmaster42

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hey Donnie

Your Cutmaster may or may not have a plug on the back of it (typically 9 pins) that will provide you with access to the trigger wires and arc voltage signal wires. If your Cutmaster came with a hand torch chances are you will not have this 9 pin plug and likely not the voltage divider to provide div voltage to your THC.

If this is the case you will need to access full voltage from inside the Cutmaster by connecting your + - leads to the mainboard. + goes to the location on the board where the ground clamp cable is attached and - connects to a ring terminal on the board labeled electrode if memory serves me right.

Best of luck.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Thank you for the info. I will look at it and see what's what.
It did come with a hand torch and I do not remember seeing a plug on the rear. But I will look again.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Okay. I do not have the plug on the back. I opened the unit up.

I see where the ground clamp attaches to the board.

I do not see anything labeled "electrode" I do have one that is labeled "out". The wire that connects to it goes to the large center brass terminal that the air is supplied to also. I would think that would be the "electrode", right?
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I am not certain but it sounds correct. If you can have someone fire the hand torch while you read the voltage across the ground connection and your "out" connection you should see 100v dc roughly roughly which would indicate that's a good location for the connection.
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

How did you get the Thermal Dynamic Cutmaster 42 to work on a CNC? I have one and was told by ESAB tech support it's not CNC compatible. Also we're you able to use a machine torch, or just hack up the hand torch? Thanks in advance!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

You can use the machine torch,but not the SL-100 SV automation torch on the Cutmaster 42. You could wire in Tom's setup here, and have a good start..
https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/univ ... ction-kit/

I had one on my Easb 1600, and Thermal/victor-52 before i just bought the Victor voltage divider card

Just because Esab says something, does not make it true..
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

Brand X wrote:You can use the machine torch,but not the SL-100 SV automation torch on the Cutmaster 42. You could wire in Tom's setup here, and have a good start..
https://www.candcnc.com/store-home/univ ... ction-kit/

I had one on my Easb 1600, and Thermal/victor-52 before i just bought the Victor voltage divider card

Just because Esab says something, does not make it true..
Thank you for the info!

Just so I’m clear, I can only use a hand torch with the TD 42 on a cnc table and there’s no way to adapt a machine torch to my cutter? Also how involved is installing the kit in my plasma, has anyone done a write up or video of the installation?

Thanks again and I wasn’t trying to mess up the thread. I just figured my questions kind of fit with the others.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

You can use a SL-100 180 degree torch on the cutmaster 42.. You cannot use the 180 degree SL-100SV automation torch with on the cutmaster 42

You can use a SL-40/SL-60/SL-100 hand torch on the cutmaster 42, and the standard 180 degree machine torch. Just not the automation 180 degree torch.. You do's have the pins/voltage to operate the valve in the torch on the SV model torch.

There are two torches that are 180 dergee layouts.. You can use one, but not the other.. (Clear) The trigger wires hang out the torch on the one you can use..You have to wire those in to fire the torch.. What it does is for a hand remote start/stop, on a track burner.. I used one on my Cutmaster 101, and 151 for years..(CNC)
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

Brand X wrote:You can use a SL-100 180 degree torch on the cutmaster 42.. You cannot use the 180 degree SL-100SV automation torch with on the cutmaster 42

You can use a SL-40/SL-60/SL-100 hand torch on the cutmaster 42, and the standard 180 degree machine torch. Just not the automation 180 degree torch.. You do's have the pins/voltage to operate the valve in the torch on the SV model torch.

There are two torches that are 180 dergee layouts.. You can use one, but not the other.. (Clear) The trigger wires hang out the torch on the one you can use..You have to wire those in to fire the torch.. What it does is for a hand remote start/stop, on a track burner.. I used one on my Cutmaster 101, and 151 for years..(CNC)
Ok perfect, that’s what I wanted to know is if I could use the 180 degree torch. I don’t want to hack up my SL-40 torch I love that thing! I want to have a dedicated machine torch for the table and still be able to use my hand torch. Do I need the adapter that they sell? Or is that only for the older machines and the other brands that you can use it for?

Thank you very much for the help and information. I’m surprised that no one has done a write up for the cutmaster 42 it’s such a good machine for sheet metal. I mainly cut .083 mild steel and .063 aluminum and use 20 amp drag tips with the machine turned all the way down. The hand cuts are amazing and can’t wait to see what it would do on a cnc.

Thanks Dan
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I use my 38XL with the 20-35 amp drag tips, and SL-40 torch.. Yes they are 35 amp max tips.. It's a great low air use setup, and a nice upgrade to the 38XL..I have had two Cutmaster 42 over the years.. Sold them off,but had other plasma cutters that had a bit more range on top.. This 18/19 year old unit is a great $129.00 ebay cutter.. Had one brand new at one point..Put a SL-60 on that one.. I made my adapter from the machine to the ATC adapter, and then my SL-40 torch went on to that adapter. Had all the parts that way.. I could never figure out why Thermal did not recommend the SL-40 torch for that machine, but it's a great upgrade..Parts last forever when you only push them to the max 29 amps output.. The 20-35/ 9-0091 tips are the lowest air use tips, and lowest current draw on the machine when using them.. So when running full out on 120 volts, those are the only Tips/Nozzles to use for max performance.

I meant to say you do not have the voltage/pins for the SL100-SV torch.. Standard machine torch will go right on the 42 without issues.(no adapter) You probably could pick up the trigger/contactor wires inside the machine also, if you prefer to hook one up that way..

I get great cuts with my Thermal dynamics /victor machines, and will pick up another one down the road..Like my 45 XP very well, but each brand has something good to offer.. (IMO)
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

Brand X wrote:I use my 38XL with the 20-35 amp drag tips, and SL-40 torch.. Yes they are 35 amp max tips.. It's a great low air use setup, and a nice upgrade to the 38XL..I have had two Cutmaster 42 over the years.. Sold them off,but had other plasma cutters that had a bit more range on top.. This 18/19 year old unit is a great $129.00 ebay cutter.. Had one brand new at one point..Put a SL-60 on that one.. I made my adapter from the machine to the ATC adapter, and then my SL-40 torch went on to that adapter. Had all the parts that way.. I could never figure out why Thermal did not recommend the SL-40 torch for that machine, but it's a great upgrade..Parts last forever when you only push them to the max 29 amps output.. The 20-35/ 9-0091 tips are the lowest air use tips, and lowest current draw on the machine when using them.. So when running full out on 120 volts, those are the only Tips/Nozzles to use for max performance.

I meant to say you do not have the voltage/pins for the SL100-SV torch.. Standard machine torch will go right on the 42 without issues.(no adapter) You probably could pick up the trigger/contactor wires inside the machine also, if you prefer to hook one up that way..

I get great cuts with my Thermal dynamics /victor machines, and will pick up another one down the road..Like my 45 XP very well, but each brand has something good to offer.. (IMO)
Thanks again for the information.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Sorry I haven't replied before now. Work has been crazy and I have not had a chance to get back to this.
When I got the machine it had the standard SL-40 torch. I modded it and made it a 180 deg setup. I have another plasma that I use for hand cutting. The 42 is just dedicated to the plasma table.
Plasmanewbie, I have not had a chance to check it yet.
I will let you all know what I find out.
Again, sorry about the delay.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

That was the correct two places. I tested the current and that was it. As I was installing the two leads for the THC I did notice on the board it says "OUT -" (where the lead goes from the board to the center torch lead) and 'Out +" (to the ground lead)
Thanks for the help.
I will keep everyone updated on how the rest of the THC install goes and how well it preforms.
This whole setup it a learning curve for me, from the software changes to the wiring. Maybe my info will be a help to someone else green to this, as myself :-)
quarky42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by quarky42 »

The Cutmaster 42 Service Manual gives you the pin out of the control board inside the housing. (Google search, it should come up easily, dunno if I can post links here. This is my first post. I created an account so I could add this.)

You could either tap the lines directly or if you buy some male and female connectors and pins, you can create your own piggyback harness without modifying the cutter.

Arc Voltage is J10, pin 1 positive, pin 2 negative.

A thread on another form titled "Cutmaster 42 CNC conversion" got me started on this path and he has info over there about what connectors to buy. I am in the process of ordering stuff to setup my own. I hope this helps someone tease out the info they're looking for.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

quarky42 wrote:The Cutmaster 42 Service Manual gives you the pin out of the control board inside the housing. (Google search, it should come up easily, dunno if I can post links here. This is my first post. I created an account so I could add this.)

You could either tap the lines directly or if you buy some male and female connectors and pins, you can create your own piggyback harness without modifying the cutter.

Arc Voltage is J10, pin 1 positive, pin 2 negative.

A thread on another form titled "Cutmaster 42 CNC conversion" got me started on this path and he has info over there about what connectors to buy. I am in the process of ordering stuff to setup my own. I hope this helps someone tease out the info they're looking for.
Thanks for the info. I did get my THC connected. I have not had the time though to get it setup to work correctly with it. That is the mach3 setting and controlling.
I would love to read more of the info you referred to on the other site. You can pm me with a link or info where to find it, that would be great
Thanks again

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”