It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Frying start cartridges on cutmaster 101

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Yellowstone

Frying start cartridges on cutmaster 101

Postby Yellowstone » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:36 pm

So I had a couple cartridges that came with my machine and they shorted out so I bought some new ones. Well I fried a new one today. Shorting out on the electrode. Any one else have this issue? Pricey little buggers to be buying all the time.
Sampson 510, TD cutmaster 101, lots of Welders tig,mig, aluminum push pull, vantage 300, sa250d, Ford Trucks.

radicalrescue
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Frying start cartridges on cutmaster 101

Postby radicalrescue » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:51 pm

are u running air dryer, i had the same thingon my120 cutmaster when i first got my table check ur tips i got some an they were a dragin tip

Yellowstone

Postby Yellowstone » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:24 pm

I have a separator. No drier yet. What's a dragin tip? Drag tip? I bought new nozzles and electrodes. I was a little suspicious of wet air being the culprit but I was running a little Bosch POS compressor, prior to hooking up my new used Quincy 60 gallon 2 stage, and I didn't have this problem. Thanks for the reply. A desiccant drier is on the list.
Sampson 510, TD cutmaster 101, lots of Welders tig,mig, aluminum push pull, vantage 300, sa250d, Ford Trucks.

Yellowstone

Postby Yellowstone » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:42 pm

I cut all day today without an issue. I did pull it and clean it once.

jawslandshark

Postby jawslandshark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:37 am

You might try changing out your shield cup to a new one. I have had some start cartridge problems in the past, I even talked to ESAB about it at Fabtech. When I found out this was not a common thing I checked some of my consumables and found a warped shield cup, probably because I use the crap out them and had burned up the end pretty bad hand cutting with this particular one, plus I think I overtighten them. I don't use mine much on the cnc table anymore, it has been transferred to job site hand cutting duty for now. A scotchbrite pad will clean the start cartridges up real well, plus I don't crank them on anymore, just snug. I always use TD consumables and even on a little portable compressor with only a MotorGuard have not had anymore problems.

Yellowstone

Postby Yellowstone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:09 am

I did change from a shielded cup to a non shielded today. That was my variable. Until I get into some thicker stuff I'm sticking with it. I've been hitting the cartridge with a SS brush. Thanks for the replies, there's so many little things that can ruin your work piece. I haven't had a torch signal not detected error in a while so I think I'm on the right track. I do keep getting incomplete cuts reoccurring in the same area but it must have to do with cut path??

Yellowstone

Postby Yellowstone » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:12 am

I did change from a shielded cup to a non shielded today. That was my variable. Until I get into some thicker stuff I'm sticking with it. I've been hitting the cartridge with a SS brush. Thanks for the replies, there's so many little things that can ruin your work piece. I haven't had a torch signal not detected error in a while so I think I'm on the right track. I do keep getting incomplete cuts reoccurring in the same area but it must have to do with cut path?? I re cut the path and it cuts but it acts funny in its own when I let it rip.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutters”