CNC Torch wiring question-Lotos LTP 6000

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Helicoptermike
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

CNC Torch wiring question-Lotos LTP 6000

Post by Helicoptermike »

Hello everyone,
I am new to both CNC Plasma and this forum and I have a question. Please keep in mind that I would describe myself as electrically challenged! I am just about to finish up assembly of my first table and was wondering, before I really screw something up, the correct wiring of the CNC Torch that I have. I bought it from Lotos for the Lotos LTP 6000 Plasma cutter. There is a 2-pin connector on each end (torch and case). Unless I am mistaken all I need to do is splice the 2 wires from the controller into the start/stop switch wires on the torch between the terminal plug and the switch. Then to use the torch I just plug the torch into the machine and the splice would allow the CNC controller to turn the torch on and off. Correct?

Thanks!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Torch wiring question

Post by jimcolt »

Hopefully your Lotos plasma has a manual that has a wiring diagram or schematic? On most of the low cost imports (Like lotos) you simply connect the plasma start output relay on your cnc machine (it would help us if you said which type of machine controller....there are 100 or more different brands of cnc plasma controllers in the world...alll a little different!)...to the torch trigger switch wires (the two wires that go to the pushbutton switch on the torch).

Be careful if the Lotos is a high frequency start plasma.....special grounding procedures and a driven ground rod usually are necessary with these plasma's to prevent damage to the cnc contol box and computer.

Jim

Helicoptermike wrote:Hello everyone,
I am new to both CNC Plasma and this forum and I have a question. Please keep in mind that I would describe myself as electrically challenged! I am just about to finish up assembly of my first table and was wondering, before I really screw something up, the correct wiring of the CNC Torch that I have. I bought it from Lotos for the Lotos LTP 6000 Plasma cutter. There is a 2-pin connector on each end (torch and case). Unless I am mistaken all I need to do is splice the 2 wires from the controller into the start/stop switch wires on the torch between the terminal plug and the switch. Then to use the torch I just plug the torch into the machine and the splice would allow the CNC controller to turn the torch on and off. Correct?

Thanks!
Helicoptermike
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: CNC Torch wiring question-Lotos LTP 6000

Post by Helicoptermike »

Thank you very much Jim!
I emailed a request to Lotos for a schematic and additional information right after I posted last night. I really appreciate the information!

Mike
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

I have a Lotos LTP 5000D , AND Im having the same problem that you had. please tell me how did you connect the torch to your cnc. just to let you know I have a longs breakout board as a controller.
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

I have a Lotos LPT5000D cutter, and I have the same problem with the torch. please tell me how did you solve it?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a manual for that unit
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/B1y1AfD4naS.pdf
It shows a connector on the front for the torch switch to hook it to a CNC controller you will need to determine which of the 2 pins on that connector are the torch trigger (OHM meter will help) once you have the trigger pins located you will need another plug that will connect there to go to the CNC controller torch trigger out. The torch trigger out will go to the plug and connect to the front of the plasma unit. When testing be sure you have the torch pointing is a safe direction if you can have some one hold it as they were going to cut on metal and trigger the torch on signal. If you are using Mach3 you can type in M3 (and enter) into the Input line on the MDI screen and then a M5 (and enter) to shut it off. If you have it wired correctly it will fire the torch and stay on until you type M5 (and enter) to turn it off be careful.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

Mine comes with pilot arc feature, I even bought a P-80 torch that comes with a pilot wire too.
So, you simply mean I should get an external wire, connect it from the cnc controller (I've got a LONGS 6-axis breakout board as controller)
to the connector on the front of the plasma?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You do not want to think about using the pilot wire that is for starting the arc not the torch on/off function.
what was talked about here was the wiring to connect the CNC controller to the plasma unit to turn the torch on/off.
It is not the same circuit :shock: :o
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

chilax bro I was not going to do anything. I'm waiting for you to tell me what to do. I want to get my torch working automatically, thats all.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

OK I just wanted you to know what not to do.
Here is how I do it but I am not using the long's board as it does not have a relay contact output.
Here is the BOB I use and recommend from a US supplier The 12 volt relay is a very standard relay sold a auto parts houses you could buy a 5 volt one from radio shack if you want to use 5 volts that powers the BOB.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Axis-Cnc-Brea ... SwHnFV38Ok
torch on-off switch relay.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

thank you for the diagram. it will be very helpful, I just dont get this 85,86,87,30.
The BOB i got, has output pins, is it the same as relay contact output?
please check the link below
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161368373199?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You may be able to use an output pin but I don't think so, (the direction pins for that Driver output may put out 5 volts you could check with a meter). One reason I did not use that BOB from long is it is for a router setup (I may have 4 new ones of those BOBs in my scrape box). The BOB I used has a relay on the board that is used as a switch for the external 12 volt relay (or 5 volt relay), I'm 90 % sure that it is pin 9 that I used in Mach for output #1 to turn the relay on/off (M3 on, M5 off, in g-code). See attached diagram for the pins on the relay (marked on the bottom of the relay)
relay buy locally at a auto parts store.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-30-40A-AMP ... SwgQ9Vrb57

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
husam.abbas
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by husam.abbas »

I think im going to use a PC power supply to geta 5 V, and may be I will buy the BOB you suggested earlier. But, these numbers, what do they represent exactly?

I'm totally new for these things, and i really appreciate your help.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The are the pins for connections on the relay 86 and 85 are for the relay coil when 12 volts is applied to one and ground to the other the relay will work. Pin 30 is the common for the circuit you are triggering and 87A is for when the relay is triggered to complete the circuit (switch on). pin 87 is if you are using the relay to to open a circuit your circuit would be wired to 30 and 87 and when the relay is triggered the circuit will open (switch off)
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”