Torch Dragging

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torch Dragging

Post by boodog710 »

I have a Dynatorch 5x10 table with a Hypertherm 1250 plasma. I have had them for 4 1/2 years and have cut over 15,000 parts. So I know a little about the operation of the machine, or so I thought. I recently moved the machine to a new location, hooked everything back up and started cutting. Since the move my torch drags on about 40% of my cuts. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it pierces, starts the cut and dives into the plate. This happens primary on 3/8 and 1/2 plate but it has also done it on thinner stuff, just not as much. My voltage and speed is set correctly. I can turn off the THC and can continue cutting, no problem. I have tried upping the voltage, slowing the speed, increasing the speed, no effect. Anyone with any ideas?

Jack
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Dragging

Post by plain ol Bill »

Jack I don't have a Dynatorch but reading about you problem it sound mechanical to me. Check all fasteners etc. to insure everything is tight. When you tell your X axis to move a set distance up or down check it with feeler gages or a known thickness to see if it is moving correctly.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

Bill, thanks for the suggestions. I have tightened all connections again. I will check the travel on the torch. Dynatorch recently moved their operation from Kentucky to Alabama. Leon is the support person and he has been hard to catch up with lately. I will also check on this with Hpertherm.

Thanks -- jack
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

Dont be afraid to talk to Russell.. Russell knows the Dynatorch inside and out..

Good luck.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Try to reset your torch in the holder, either go up or down and get away from the "loose" spot on the slide. During the move it may have been stressed and now it shows up more. Or, maybe someone had already done that and it got moved back to the original location. We did mostly 1/2 with ours and found the problem was not as often on thicker and thinner material. You can also put some grease on the ballnut inside the slide *caution* how far apart you take it. I used to lift the magnetic cover and reach in with a long wooden qtip loaded with krytox or some other thin grease like lubricant.

I found messing with the settings was the wrong direction to go as the slide required different forces at different heights. I am assuming you have the INA linear slide that has the ballnut and magnetic cover. Ours was about three years old and had it.

WSS

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”