How to "Move & Pierce" Alltra table HPR plasma

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

How to "Move & Pierce" Alltra table HPR plasma

Post by theoperator »

We have a new Hypertherm Plasma Machine at work, and have been trying to cross over from Flame Cut to plasma. In the book it tells about a few piercing options that are used for various thicknesses but does not tell me the settings i need to use to move and pierce to avoid slag and spray.

Ive tired changing a few setting like Ramp, pierce delay, pierce hold time.. Nothing seems to change the way it pierces!

Advice would be great!
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: How to "Move & Pierce"

Post by gary42095 »

you need to specify what type of machine you have and the software you are running to get any help. but pierce delay sounds like what you are looking for. post up machine and software and im sure someone will be able to help
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Let us know the manufacturer and model of plasma table and model of Hypertherm plasma that you are using and I am sure someone here can help you out.

Should be pretty simple...the important thing is consumable selection, pierce height, and delay time. What thickness of material are you trying to cut? Must be thick.
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by theoperator »

Alright let me go to work friday afternoon and write down this information and I'll post up later.
I know its a dual head Alltra with a bevel master, 400amps 32mm thick plate grade 60.

the software is burny 10.

I think i need to modify some cut charts to do what i want to do,...wanna pierce the same way as a messer does..
anyway ill post tomorrow l. thks!
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by theoperator »

gary42095 wrote:you need to specify what type of machine you have and the software you are running to get any help. but pierce delay sounds like what you are looking for. post up machine and software and im sure someone will be able to help
Pierce hold time is whats killing me @ 1.1 sec's its just sitting their, no rooster tail.
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by theoperator »

This machine is a Alltra HPR400XD.

These are some questions i will be asking Alltra next week when they come by..........

ALLTRA questions

Can we use a straight cut chart when we are cutting straight cuts, using beveled consumables?
Since voltage is a range and not a set variable in beveled cut chart..

Are straight consumables cheaper?

Can we create a ?move and pierce? cut chart for thick plate, preferably anything over one inch!?

Does the alltra side of the program override burny's cut presets? How do we make alltra's variables to match burny's presets, and how do we revert to default?

Can we get more options in the cut charts or do we create custom cut charts our selves?

Can we get a copy of our basic cut charts default so that we can default them later if they have been modified.? We might have this already?!.

For OEM Consumables how many starts and stops should we expect? Would Silver-line consumables be more efficient for mild steel (? or Higher)?

Do we have rapid part technology? How do we setup this up? Do we have Rapid Z-axis motion?

We need to setup soft stops back 1? closer to the front of the table so we can burn two 240's starting @ the edge... How do we do that?

Can we program the machine to auto stop after a set amount of starts??? (if im unloading the machine and am not there to c the alert prompt I would not know if the consumable has reached the end of its life).. so sad?

We need to get boot from usb disabled from CMOS please!!!

A static IP address would be more secure, and if dhcp is enabled and doesn't want to give out new hex keys... is more likely a static IP assigned to each machine would be more reliable!!

Where is the test purge screen @ for testing coolant and gas mix?

How do get get THC or auto height sensor to ride the bowed part smoother?
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

theoperator wrote:This machine is a Alltra HPR400XD.

These are some questions i will be asking Alltra next week when they come by..........

ALLTRA questions

Can we use a straight cut chart when we are cutting straight cuts, using beveled consumables?
Since voltage is a range and not a set variable in beveled cut chart..

Are straight consumables cheaper?

Can we create a ?move and pierce? cut chart for thick plate, preferably anything over one inch!?

Does the alltra side of the program override burny's cut presets? How do we make alltra's variables to match burny's presets, and how do we revert to default?

Can we get more options in the cut charts or do we create custom cut charts our selves?

Can we get a copy of our basic cut charts default so that we can default them later if they have been modified.? We might have this already?!.

For OEM Consumables how many starts and stops should we expect? Would Silver-line consumables be more efficient for mild steel (? or Higher)?

Do we have rapid part technology? How do we setup this up? Do we have Rapid Z-axis motion?

We need to setup soft stops back 1? closer to the front of the table so we can burn two 240's starting @ the edge... How do we do that?

Can we program the machine to auto stop after a set amount of starts??? (if im unloading the machine and am not there to c the alert prompt I would not know if the consumable has reached the end of its life).. so sad?

We need to get boot from usb disabled from CMOS please!!!

A static IP address would be more secure, and if dhcp is enabled and doesn't want to give out new hex keys... is more likely a static IP assigned to each machine would be more reliable!!

Where is the test purge screen @ for testing coolant and gas mix?

How do get get THC or auto height sensor to ride the bowed part smoother?
I will be watching this post as we just ordered the same machine from alltra.....is their tech support as good as the salesman said it would be?
Brian
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Alltra is a great manufacturer of industrial CNC plasma cutting machines. They sell Hypertherm industrial plasma (The HPR400xd is a Hypertherm high definition class plasma).....and their after sales support is among the best in the industry. They will be able to address every one of your questions.

In regards to piercing with the Hypertherm....follow the specs in the manual...they are also embedded in your cnc control and in your software. Piercing in place at the correct pierce height and using the correct pierce delay is the best method....peircing on the fly is not recommended.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by theoperator »

BrianMick wrote:
I will be watching this post as we just ordered the same machine from alltra.....is their tech support as good as the salesman said it would be?
Brian
I have very little experience with plasma machines. With flame cutters yes.

As an operator i am fairly happy with the overall system. This system requires more programming than what are programmers are use to, and if they get most of the embedded settings correctly it runs well!
Last edited by theoperator on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
theoperator
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by theoperator »

jimcolt wrote:Alltra http://www.alltracorp.com is a great manufacturer of industrial CNC plasma cutting machines. They sell Hypertherm industrial plasma (The HPR400xd is a Hypertherm high definition class plasma).....and their after sales support is among the best in the industry. They will be able to address every one of your questions.

In regards to piercing with the Hypertherm....follow the specs in the manual...they are also embedded in your cnc control and in your software. Piercing in place at the correct pierce height and using the correct pierce delay is the best method....peircing on the fly is not recommended.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
Consumable life is an issue with thick cuts. Makes a great cut but about 300 starts its time to change them... Would silver line tips help the life with thick plate? Rising shielding gas help?

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”