Head Is Spinning - Need advice on machine to purchase

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
menniej
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Head Is Spinning - Need advice on machine to purchase

Post by menniej »

First off I would like 2 say Hi 2 everyone and this has been a great site with LOtzz of info and Help ,
Im looking into getting a CNC plasma cutter. I First started into looking into a Plasmacam , Then a Torchmate then I came across the trucut CNC . I say "My Head is Spinning" because the more you look into the machines the more you read The Good and The BAD about them and now kinda confused :? . What im looking for is a well built machine that I can cut out designs and parts and not spend all day designing . Looking into getting the hypertherm powermax 1650 for the bigger stuff and we already have a smaller miller plasma at the shop 4 the smaller stuff. Im Looking into spending around $16,000.00 as we already have the industrial air compressor/dryer , all wiring and ventilation fans . The machine will be goin into my familys machine shop http://www.mennies.com/. Can anyone help me out on the best type of machine to get ? And has anyone have anymore info on the trucut cnc machine , I could not find any feedback on that machine but it does look well built and for the price It has me thinking on it .. :?: there site is trucutcnc.com

Thanks Guys for any help you can give me ..
Jason Mennie
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Head Is Spinning ! ! !

Post by elkriverfab »

Jason,

One thing you Will find out is........You will be designing all day.
For one thing you will do it so your projects are unique and the other is you will get addicted to creating new stuff all the time.

I have been doing it for over 7 years now and I find myself up all hours of the night, even more now than when I got into it.

If you don't mind doing simple projects and not wanting to be different I guess you could do that.

I have a plasmacam and I am happy with it. I do wish it was larger though 4 X 8 or so.
It is a good machine though.....

If I was buying right now, I would go for the Samson just because plasmacam software is good.

What ever you do just make sure it is from a company that has been around for a while and will be around for a while.

The last thing you want to have on your hands is a machine with no tech support and no parts.
Stick to something that is tried and true. :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
menniej
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by menniej »

Thanks for geting back to me with your help.
If you dont mind could you answer a few :?: for me on your PC ?
After getting the info packet with DVD and order form . Is the machine really that easy ? I was looking into getting the 4x4 with Advanced height control and then for the software upgrades was goin to get both Advanced Design and advanced machine control and for the Specialty add`ons get the Full 3D Capability . and after adding all that up you start talking alot of coin :shock: LoL , I guess 4 the money will I be getting a machine that will last for years to come with out that many problems with it and ezz to use ?

Thanks Again .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please consider the 2 companies who advertise at the top of these pages and contact them to find out what they have to offer. Both these manufacturers in addition to PlasmaCam frequent PlasmaSpider.com to help answer questions in regards to their cutting systems. This may be something to consider during your quest for the right machine.
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

menniej wrote:Thanks for geting back to me with your help.
If you dont mind could you answer a few :?: for me on your PC ?
After getting the info packet with DVD and order form . Is the machine really that easy ? I was looking into getting the 4x4 with Advanced height control and then for the software upgrades was goin to get both Advanced Design and advanced machine control and for the Specialty add`ons get the Full 3D Capability . and after adding all that up you start talking alot of coin :shock: LoL , I guess 4 the money will I be getting a machine that will last for years to come with out that many problems with it and ezz to use ?

Thanks Again .
Jason,

Admin is correct, you should check them all.
There are several good machines out there to toss around.

I have found plasmacam to be great software.
As far as the software upgrades and torch height upgrade, I don't have them.......Wish I did but you know how it goes, it all adds up ($$$$$$$$$) when trying to get into this.

I have the DHC unit.
As far as software, I have not found anything I cant draw, design or cut with it.

After talking with many plasmacam owners we all seem to do things differently but the same.

I can draw up parts and designs when others say it is not possible. I guess it just depends on how you jump into it.
I would love to upgrade to the newer software and DHC2 when I can.

After using their software for a few years it is like second nature now and every time I open the manual I see another way of doing something.

I guess that what happens when you get to where you can draw your parts and art, you just keep going.

Then, you get a different job and say "how is this done" you end up constantly learning and it is a learning process.
But with my experience with plasmacam you can have an idea in your head one minute, one paper the next and in your hand fast.

They are all the same to an extent...........Set up needs to be done correctly, torch height setting is very important,
speed is just important and torch settings too.

It's funny how I will have a problem and then someone else will have the same problem with a different machine (same monster in a different skin).

I will say to someone wanting to get into to this is.........Cutting is the easy part, finishing, powder coating, welding and all the other stuff deserves the same amount of homework as well.

Just look at the knives WSS and Plain Ol Bill did.......Anyone can cut a knife out but to be able to finish them like that is a entirely different story.

Plain Ol Bill does his by hand and I will say no machine will do that for you (beautiful).

I would love to be able to layer steel like bill does and come out with that at the end, that's craftsmanship.
Same with WSS, you can cut a knife blank out but to have it look like his in the end is a work of art!

I have found that the machine is only a small part of it, the rest is truly learned from trying.

The patinas and metal finishes from Steel FX look like a great product. I have never used his but some like it.
The nice thing is he offers some advice and he sells a book on finishing too, the others do not.

You will never find the advice on machines because everybody will keep your head spinning with mine is better, no...mine is better and mine is better than all of them............

I have had friends buy the ones the Admin was talking about and they like them too.

Just go with what feels right for what you are going to be doing and look through the posts for all the info we have all had issues with.

Then there is the big chore of how you will be selling the stuff you cut out! Totally different homework there........

The machine is the small part of the equation.......... But if you start out with a good one the rest can come together well.

As far as getting a machine with no problems................Not going to happen but most are from user error for sure (learning curve). but yes, plasmacam is easy to use and I am happy with it.

I think I am going to extend my cutting surface to a 4 X 8 (add track and extensions).
I have seen it done and it works great. Gives it more usable surface.

I cant stress enough about finishing your pieces and finding a market for them.
Remember.........there is a lot of metal art for sale out there, just look at ebay. It is swamped with it.

Find a niche and cut the heck out of it with another on the back burner.......This is what keeps you up at night designing and creating new stuff!

Oh yea one other thing..........the people you will find on this site can help when all else seems lost.
There are some fine people here and most are willing to help you out in a crunch :D

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Just a thought here, if your family owns a machine shop have you thought about building your own table.
You can add things that you like from anybrand and not use things you dont, also if you build it tech support is available 24/7 when you need it.
Tom at CandCnc has very good electronics packages to cover all size tables, there are gantry kits out there also, the gantry should not be a problem for a mach shop to build, mine works and I am not a fully functional mach shop by any means,
Just my 2 cents worth, I feel i can build what i need instead of what someone else thought i needed
Mike
menniej
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by menniej »

Thanks Everyone For The Help And The Fast Replys .
Goin to Call tracker later today and see what they have to offer ..

Thanks Again .
Jason Mennie
wrenchhead
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by wrenchhead »

I have a tracker and I love it. The software is very easy to use and the tech support is awesome.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

I have a Torchmate II, a 4x8 table and the ATHC. One thing I might change if I had to do it again, would be a Hypertherm plasma versus the Thermal Dynamic, but why, I'm not sure, just the fact that it seems like most people have the Hypertherm. Torchmate tech support is without equal in my book, and it's free for life, so I'm biased, and being a newbie, I went with a machine already set up to run. But now I'm not a newbie, or at least less of a newbie, but there are electronic packages out there that someone could buy and fashion their own table. And software like the ever popular Mach 3. I guess all of this kind of hinges on your ability to weld, and your knowledge of electronics. Good luck. bob.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I'm very happy with my PlasmaCam. I don't have the time, energy or desire to learn all the things a good CAD program can do for me. The PCam software does what I need, and the newest version leaves what I have in the dust - according to all reviews.

Not having used any other equipment, I can only relate my experience with the PCam, and it's all been good.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”