Lockformer 1000B Can't Cut DXF Files

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Atomikal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Lockformer 1000B Can't Cut DXF Files

Post by Atomikal »

Need help, Why can’t I cut dxfs?
My table will not cut any dxfs.
It will only cut items made in Trimble fabshop?
Doesn’t make sense atall if I design something in fabshop or make a sign that only has letters and numbers from
Fabshops menu it will cut no problem. Have sent the dxf files to other companies and they can cut them easily.
I bought the book of dxfs from a very reputable company and would very much like to be able to use them. Please any assistance would be great.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Lockformer 1000B

Post by tcaudle »

DXF is a drawing (CAD) format. You have to run them through a CAM program that actually does the toolpath (most common is G-Code). Some controllers have the CAM integrated with a drawing program THAT talks to the motion hardware. So, the bottom line is what file format does your Lockformer need to actually cut. If its G-code you simply need to get a general CAM program (like SheetCAM) and feed it the DXF and use a POST to generate specific g-code for the Lockformer. If the Lockformer will not take external g-code then you may be SOL. I opened the extensive list of machines (POSTS) in SheetCAM and it doe snot show a Lockformer...not a good sign.
Atomikal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Atomikal »

Does it show a Vulcan 1000b, that is the table. The manufacturer is Lockformer.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

The only Vulcan 1000B I have ever seen was a sheet metal (HVAC) contractor. They had proprietary software geared around very thin sheet metal.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Vulcan machines were made specifically to cut HVAC ductwork using proprietary software. Vulcans were sold by their Brand name of Lockformer....which is now owned by Mestek Machinery. mestekmachinery.com If you contact them directly and say you have a Lockformer Vulcan 1000B, then they may be able to steer you to some operating software that will help. These machines are pretty loose from a tolerance point of view. They wer made to cut 26 gauge galvanized at 400 ipm, if within an 1/8" or so they wer happy! Jim Colt Hypertherm
certifiedinc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by certifiedinc »

We have a 1000b in our shop. If your trimble fabshop software is functioning, you can burn any dxf file (within reason). I have noticed, with ours, that you cannot burn very fine lines, unless you really slow the machine down. I don't burn out any signs and speeds higher than 150 ipm, cause I have noticed that machine will get lost in the coordinates, and vibrate until it has lost ground. Also, at 150 ipm, I do not make it burn lines that are shorter than .125, as that also seems to cause problems. I can walk you through how to import dxf files if you are still having trouble, as all of my drawings are done in autocad, then imported into the trimble software. Let me know if I can help.
Kent Mellenbruch
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kent Mellenbruch »

I have a drawing that keeps getting a bad segment error in vs control when I try to burn it. when I set the cut path and review the cut in fabshop it works ok but not in vs control. it always errors out on the outline of the drawing, cuts inside pieces ok.
any help would be appreciated I can send the file if needed
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Kent Mellenbruch wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 am I have a drawing that keeps getting a bad segment error in vs control when I try to burn it. when I set the cut path and review the cut in fabshop it works ok but not in vs control. it always errors out on the outline of the drawing, cuts inside pieces ok.
Are you able to post your drawing file for us to see?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Kent Mellenbruch wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 am I have a drawing that keeps getting a bad segment error in vs control when I try to burn it. when I set the cut path and review the cut in fabshop it works ok but not in vs control. it always errors out on the outline of the drawing, cuts inside pieces ok.
Perhaps you could post your drawing or dxf file so we can take a look.
Thanks,
David
RSM Sheet Metal Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RSM Sheet Metal Works »

Try starting the cut at the point it errors on the outside of the drawing using a leadin.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”