Delusional Designs CNC Support

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Delusional Designs CNC Support

Post by msc »

I bought my Delusional Design CNC table last March after a member here advised me to check them out. I have been happy with the table and George, the owner, has been very helpful.

After a couple of months of not cutting we went to cut this morning and nothing happened. I called George and left him a message. Within 3 minutes George called me back and walked me through what turned out to be a computer port problem. The problem was with my computer, not my CNC, but George helped and stayed with me until I got up and cutting. A simple problem to fix but I was totally lost.

I am still very new to all of this. With the support I am getting from George I would not hesitate to telling any new person to strongly consider Delusional Designs as their first CNC.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Delusional Designs CNC Support

Post by flimmy »

I have one of the Delusional Designs CNC 4x4 tables and can say that George has THE BEST customer support you could ask for. Just about any time of day he will answer the phone or text ( within reason lol ) and answer any question about plasma cutting you have. It could be with his tables , your cutter , or even a file your working on he will help.
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Anyone know if this company is still in business ? Thanks
v8vic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by v8vic »

Talked to him about a week ago. Was in business then.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Talked to him yesterday- great guy. I'm probably pulling the trigger on one of his machines next week.
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Anyone have this table and put some serious time on it to test? Thanks
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

They don't answer or return phone calls, texts, emails, or Facebook messages. Just lost a cash sale. I feel sorry for those trying to get an issue resolved. Beware.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Chinese New Year ends Jan 6th. :geek:
Ellie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ellie »

txbobcat wrote:They don't answer or return phone calls, texts, emails, or Facebook messages. Just lost a cash sale. I feel sorry for those trying to get an issue resolved. Beware.
I have never had any issue getting in touch with George. If you are indeed researching and trying to find a reasonably priced table I would suggest be patient and give him another call.
Ellie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ellie »

tcaudle wrote:Chinese New Year ends Jan 6th. :geek:
Oh Man It didnt even occur to me to ask George if he celebrates the Chinese New Year! None the less he spent close to an hour on the phone with me yesterday and for the majority of that time he was kind enough to answer questions from me that didnt even have anything to do with the table he builds.

I have been researching CNC tables for about 3 months now and as a newcomer its quite overwhelming all the info out there. If there are any legitimate concerns I should have in regards to Delusional Designs please do share.

By the way I lived in China for 6 years - it not uncommon for people to take as much as three weeks holiday ;)
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by flimmy »

I just talked to George a few days ago and he is moving into a bigger shop and has been busy. I'm sure if you call him now he will answer or get back to you pretty fast.

I've had my table for about a year and a half and love it.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

flimmy wrote:I just talked to George a few days ago and he is moving into a bigger shop and has been busy. I'm sure if you call him now he will answer or get back to you pretty fast.

I've had my table for about a year and a half and love it.
Yup- just spoke to him on Monday. He finished the move and is back to building tables (mine included). He's hoping to have mine finished next week so we can get it set up and start cutting.
sam-tip
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sam-tip »

Just got off the phone with Delusional Designs. Had a great conversation about tables. Said they sold 25 machines in past month. Payment is half down when ordering and other half when he delivers. I was thinking 4x4 for my limited space but he recommended 4 x 8 machine.
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by flimmy »

sam-tip wrote:Just got off the phone with Delusional Designs. Had a great conversation about tables. Said they sold 25 machines in past month. Payment is half down when ordering and other half when he delivers. I was thinking 4x4 for my limited space but he recommended 4 x 8 machine.

I have a 4x4 table and could use a 4x8 on occasion but the 4x4 works best for the space I have. One other thing to remember is material handleing if your getting 4x8 sheets of steel. I can pick up 50" sq pieces of 3/16" but that's it.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I looked at their table. Is anyone weird about having a belt driven system? I don't know that I would trust it. And replacing it and getting it lined back up again just seems like a big pain? I had belts on my shapeoko3..worked well for that but they do stretch and had to be re-adjusted. Plus it was only moving at 30ipm or less
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

gamble wrote:I looked at their table. Is anyone weird about having a belt driven system? I don't know that I would trust it. And replacing it and getting it lined back up again just seems like a big pain? I had belts on my shapeoko3..worked well for that but they do stretch and had to be re-adjusted. Plus it was only moving at 30ipm or less
I am sure it's the most awesome machine ever built.. :lol: I am not a real PlasmaCam fan, but I sure would not slam one like this. you don't build your business by slamming a very successful company. Like them or not. He is leaving out so much, I don't know where to start..So I won't..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgpzojY8Tw
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

Not sure about the leaving out part but the points about plasmacam being pretty cheesy versus other offerings is on target.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Instead of running a machine around without cutting anything. Draw/cut, and produce two parts to compare too. Use it a few years, and compare again.. Otherwise total sales job on a POS table (IMO)Because you run your mouth in a sales vid, does not make it true. He was comparing his table, not a quality table around the same price as a Plasmacam..
txbobcat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by txbobcat »

So of the points brought up on the video which ones do you disagree with?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The part, that you can't cut smooth with a plasmacam.. I think there are many examples here, that proves otherwise.. I don't see any cuts being made on his table to show that it's even rigid enough to get good cuts. None. Making a big deal about running a table remote is just plain silly.. You going to use a robot to load, and unload the steel? I can run my table around, and say it's the best table since sliced bread, but without Proof, it's all bull. His great free software is better then the $2000.00 PlasmaCam software? Where is this proof again, and not what people using the Software seems to say. Saying the PlasmaCam can't slow on Corners like his can seems suspect too.. Is there proof it does not cut correct, and only he know how to do it?

The whole thing comparing a table by running it around on the Axises mean nothing.. His THC blow all others away too?
Best thing its to run, and run far away from this guy ..(IMO) See too many fly by night tables over the year.. Same M/O..
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I'm not the biggest Plasmacam fan. However...people that I trust and respect (Jim Colt, Shane Warnick, etc) use their tables (or variants such as Samson) for production, and do just fine. I've seen photos of Shane cutting 1"+ on his Samson.

I've only run across good feedback from the Detrick Designs table, but I don't know of anyone using it with unbiased feedback I can trust.

My concern with proprietary controls would be long-term support. Plasmacam has a history of support, regardless of how you may view that support. Gene Detrick seems to offer good support as well, though I don't know how long he has been around.

I think you could do worse than either offering.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Have any of the nay sayers ran or even seen a delusional designs machine in person??????..Cuz side by side comparisons say alot ..I watched several Jim Colt plasmacam videos where he says it took a minute to design a part but yet they didn't show the part being designed in the 20 minute video???I have run both and can speak first hand on both....Now i know i am not supposed to speak the truth or do real world videos doing side by side comparisons.. But hey it is what it is ..There are several of my competitors that make solid machines for the price ..I think there are several options worth looking at.. Mine just so happens to be the best bang for the buck in the under 10,000 dollar range. ..You knock what i say and show which is 100% the truth and yet you have never seen or run a delusional designs cnc machine?And somehow you are supposed to be the know it all guru on the subject;Sounds more like trolling than speaking on facts..
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Brand X wrote:The part, that you can't cut smooth with a plasmacam.. I think there are many examples here, that proves otherwise.. I don't see any cuts being made on his table to show that it's even rigid enough to get good cuts. None. Making a big deal about running a table remote is just plain silly.. You going to use a robot to load, and unload the steel? I can run my table around, and say it's the best table since sliced bread, but without Proof, it's all bull. His great free software is better then the $2000.00 PlasmaCam software? Where is this proof again, and not what people using the Software seems to say. Saying the PlasmaCam can't slow on Corners like his can seems suspect too.. Is there proof it does not cut correct, and only he know how to do it?

The whole thing comparing a table by running it around on the Axises mean nothing.. His THC blow all others away too?
Best thing its to run, and run far away from this guy ..(IMO) See too many fly by night tables over the year.. Same M/O..

Do you struggle with using youtube?There are several videos of my machines cutting,milling and plate marking..Just how someone can say something is the best Someone could also say something is bad that they have never seen .Just cuz you refuse to look at the videos and see one in person as others have... You saying something based off of an opinion and making comments about something you must clearly not have taken the time to look into says things about you not about my machines .The people who have my machines can testify to how they work and hold up .. Soon i will have a video coming out from a former plasmacam owner who can tell you all about the differences between the two and help you with your proof you refused to find before speaking..The software is called Inkscape and sheetcam.I know others you talk highly about on here use it to.. And yes it is better than plasmacam when they use it same as when i use it..Main difference it i have made custom post processors and my electronics are more capable which allows me to turn of the thc and slow down in corners tighter than 45 degrees..But i guess in all your wisdom you are gonna tell me and all the other guys running up to date softwares like Inkscape and sheetcam that a company that went over 14 yrs without a software update is the cutting edge of as far as software and technology goes right?..I mean dang we live in a world where we don't have the same phones we did a year ago.We do not have the same tv from 2 years ago and yet you find it hard to believe that the up an comers haven't come up with something that beats an old over priced outdated software?Do you still pay the same price for tech things you did yrs ago?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I been using Inkscape, corel, for a long time... Also Sheetcam since 2003. So keep up the S**T , seen it all before from the CNC plasma companies that trash others, to make others think they worth buying their Junk.. Generally go tits up soon., but not before it leave a bunch of people holding the bag.. Worthless in remote running.WTF is that spiel about?

Have you ever heard of CandCnc.. I upgraded my original control box, and THC just a few years ago.. Just added stuff to my power supply, and it was seamless. That was to my box built in 2005. Don't think you will be around long enough for that kind of support.. I believe somebody should just built their own with a qaulity gantry kit and use better parts then messing with a sub standard low rent table.. Inkscape is free, and SheetCam package is really low cost too. Much better proven setup in the end, and no sales pitch for a substandard machine..
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

gamble wrote:I looked at their table. Is anyone weird about having a belt driven system? I don't know that I would trust it. And replacing it and getting it lined back up again just seems like a big pain? I had belts on my shapeoko3..worked well for that but they do stretch and had to be re-adjusted. Plus it was only moving at 30ipm or less
The shapeoko has a belt drive system but they use rubber belts with cloth reinforcements. My machine uses polyurethane belts that are kevlar and steel belted..Huge difference and My drive-pulley system makes a huge difference as well ..I would be glad to explain the differences if you would like..As with anything it is not just what you use but how you use it that makes all the difference..A rack and pinion system without some way of taking the backlash out would give all kinds of problems and issues with maintaining it..Your car most likely has a timing belt that drives the cam, top fuel funny cars use belts to drive the blowers and drive the cam..Nascar engines and formula 1 cars use belts to drive the cams..Hell even harleys use belts to make them move ..Trust and believe if there was a better more reliable system that robbed as little power from the engine they would be using it..But gear drive and chain drive are just not up to the task especially when you are talking about precsion

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”