Motor Tuning Question?

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Motor Tuning Question?

Post by ajk2004 »

Guys,
I have a C & CNC bladerunner and I had a question on motor tuning. I am trying to get it tuned and thought I about had it. What you want is that when you move the gantry 1" the DRO shows 1" of movement. I am trying to do this but am frustrated by the results. I tested this by moving the gantry 1" according to the DRO and then would measure on the table to see how much movement I was getting. I thought I had it. I noticed on a project I did I had the size at roughly 36" squared but when the cutter finished the piece was like 42" squared. I then proceeded to cut out 3" diameter circles to test the machine. I had to do some tuning to get the machine to cut 3" circles but then when I cut another large project, it cut a little larger then the program file. Is this what they call losing steps? I just want to be able to cut whatever the program file is sized to. If something is 5x5 I would like it to be within a 1/16" of an inch or so, give or take a little with inside/outside offset. Thanks guys.
Andy
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Motor Tuning Question?

Post by steel 35 »

Somewhere in the directions it says to make the lines as long as possible and do the adjustments with the long lines making smaller adjustments making it more accurate?

Gear reduction or not?
Gantry Homemade, PPL, ECT?
With more info someone here may be able to give you the # S
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ajk2004 »

I guess I forgot to mention that. I do have gear reduction. I have components from cncrouterparts.com I believe it is the NEMA 34 setup. Once upon a time, I knew the reduction, 3:1 maybe? My gantry is homemade. Thanks for the help.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here is the setup I use for the CandCNC setup, and as steel35 said at the end move about 80% of you axis travel to check for each axis.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... on#p123635
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ajk2004 »

Acourt & Steel,
Thank you for your help. I plan on following your post about how to set up my motors. I didn't understand what steel was talking about when he said make your lines as long as possible. After reading Acourt's post I see what he is talking about. one quick question. If I move my gantry's x axis one inch or 54", what is the difference. Again, I would consider myself a newbie, but if it goes an inch worth of travel, should a long line be just as accurate? Thanks guys. Can't wait to get home to try this.
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

If the travel is off by a tiny amount per motor revolution then the error will be more apparent when you make a long move rather than a short one.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Calibration error is cumulative. If you are off .01 in 1" you will be off .360 in 36 . There is a calculator on the Websire in the Support section. Just type in the numbers and it gives you the new Steps per unit setting.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”