Go torch

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Go torch

Post by edclayton1 »

What can anyone tell me about the go torch? I was thinking it might make sense to buy one and then turn around and enlarge it. They are careful on their website not to show the options and upgrades pricing though. At least it would be new come with servos and the newest design edge software for much less than a new plasmacam table. :twisted:
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Go torch

Post by PlasmaMac »

Go torch is basically a minimalist & low cost variant of the plasmacam system. It comes in a smaller and more compact 2x2 cutting platform. Sales and support are all done online only. This differs from plasmacam, which provides much more of a full service experience. The parts and components and base software on a go torch are from plasmacam. Upgrades to a go torch can be done thru plasmacam as well.

The 4x4 system directly from plasmacam has the added benefit of not only having a larger cutting area and a better stock software package, but also has a 3 year warranty, free phone technical service and support. The Go torch machines have a 1 year warranty, and support is done online only.

For those just starting, a go torch is good low cost way to get started with a machine that has proven components from plasmacam. Planning for some upgrades (mostly software based) down the road would be a good idea on this machine.

if you don't mind the whole online sales and service part of things, then the go torch isnt bad at all.

Personally, having the larger machine (in one shot out) of the box, and a warranty that is 3x better along with the convenience of having the human element for service and support are factors that I find very valuable, and important enough for me to go the plasmacam route. But for those with limited "real-estate" and or lower budgets to start with, I could definitely see the attractiveness with a good 2x2 from go torch. Either machine can be set up to do exactly what you need it to do relatively easily.

Good Luck Brother!!

JAG
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Thanks for the info JAG. I have now also discovered some of the older threads here concerning these machines but I was still unaware of the support issues you mention here. For me I think buying a used plasmacam and doing the ownership transfer might be a better path to consider. I like calling humans in real time when I'm in a jam if at all possible.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

As long as you know how to operate a ratchet wrench and follow a really easy to follow instruction manual, there probably isn’t much that can go wrong with a go torch. I would be more inclined to get a go torch now after having a 4x4 plasmacam even if things with them are online. I mean, you are totally correct, it is a really affordable machine for virtually anyone, but at the same time it’s not a totally free lunch either. It’s just like anything else in life, there is a reason for its price and there is a reason why a new plasmacam has its price.

If there is one thing that I learned from Adam Smith (the father of economics) along with what my grand dad use to always tell us back in the day: "there is a no such thing as a free lunch" and "What is cheap, usually ends up being expensive later on".

Definitely weight all of your options. If its meant to be then it will happen.

Sometimes there are some great deals out there and sometimes not so much in the used market.

Also check with plasmacam periodically if you are close to getting one, sometimes you can get in one of their really good sales like my pal did.

Good Luck Brother!

JAG

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”