Table to cut 1/8" to 1/2"

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
VSAWMike
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Table to cut 1/8" to 1/2"

Post by VSAWMike »

I am looking to buy a table either a 4x4 or a 4x8 size to cut parts. I would like to cut up to 1/2" and have nice clean cuts from a reliable machine.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Table to cut 1/8" to 1/2"

Post by gamble »

Cutting ability is dependent on your plasma cutter.
Also what is your budget? You can build your own table or get a budget table from eagle or go overpriced like torchmate 4800.
That being said I think my next table is going to be from arclight. Seems to be a good table for the money
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Love my Arclight. 18 months now and still cutting like a champ.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
VSAWMike
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by VSAWMike »

I am aware that the cut is dependent on the plasma cutter attached to the table. I used to run an old 6x12 table cutting armor plate.

What I really need to know is what table will handle a sheet of 1/2" thick. Maybe even 3/4" thick if I chose to cut it. What is your arclight cutting?

My budget is 10 to 15K. I would like to probably use a Hypertherm machine as they have always been good to me.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I absolutely love my Bulltear/Starlab table. The frame is welded 3" steel tube. I know they even offer a 4" tube version. I'd consider another (if needed) in a heartbeat. Take a look at a true "industrial" machine, such as a Hornet (formerly Retro Systems) table. Then take a look at the Bulltear offering. You'll see LOTS of similarities.

One thing I've learned, which seems counterintuitive...it takes a MORE capable table to cut thin sheet metal material, than it does thick stuff. Acceleration issues, rigidity issues, speed issues, repeatability...become MORE prevalent in thinner material. Something thick like 1/2" is actually easier to cut cleanly, due to the much slower speeds involved.

Assuming the frame of the machine is structurally stable to support such weight, that is. That part seems like it would be trivial, in comparison to engineering a good gantry/drive system.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
VSAWMike
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by VSAWMike »

Ok, that sounds logical. I figure I better do as much research as possible in the next month or so before purchase. All my experience is with an old very large industrial table that was old a few years ago when I was using it. I appreciate the help.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”