Delusional Design CNC - Initial Review

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Delusional Design CNC - Initial Review

Post by msc »

Just about a month ago my son came to me and said “Dad, you need a CNC to go with your plasma cutter”. My son is smart so what was I to do? I told my wife we “need” a CNC table.

One month ago I knew nothing about CNCs except that they were very cool and expensive. So I started my research and found PlasmaSpider. In my research one person here who told me to check out Delusional Designs CNC. I found close to nothing on the entire internet about this machine or the company. This was a red flag to me but I contacted George the owner anyway. After several lengthy conversations with George I became very interested since his price( $5,000) was right what I was willing to spend and he had more features than I thought I could get at the price. Then when he told me he would deliver to my backyard shop, set up and train me on my machine, I was sold.

George delivered my machine just over a week ago. After using it for a week I am very pleased. The table is built very solid. I do not know enough about the components to comment except to say everything works. Using my Hypertherm PM 45, I am getting very nice clean cuts on the 16 gauge steel I have been learning on. The few issues I have had have been operator error and George patiently walked me through the software. He has answered my calls and texts right away.

Since I came here looking for guidance, I thought I would give my initial review of my table. So far, I am very happy with my choice.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Delusional Design CNC - Initial Review

Post by Brand X »

Your post has many red flags.. First is 5,000.00 delivered.. Same posts on different websites.. Are you related to George, or one and same?:)
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

LOL. I thought the same thing when I started looking into it. Yeah, I posted this on Welding Web this morning as well. No, no relation. No, I am not him, he is about 25 years younger than me. And actually it was $5,000 plus delivery of about $875 plus I bought the pizza while he trained me and my son.

I would not have purchased a CNC if I had to pay much more than I did as I could not justify the expense. I was very skeptical as this was about half the price of other machines with the exception of Eagle Plasma which I also considered. If he didn't deliver and set it up I would not have considered it. I only felt somewhat comfortable as I paid a 50% deposit on Paypal and figured I had some protections if it was not what it seemed when it was delivered. And yes, I was sweating it for a couple of weeks.

Is it as good as other more expensive machines? I have no idea as I have never seen another CNC in real life. As far as how it will last, I have no idea of that either. I just thought I would post this as I started my search on this forum. So far I am happy with my purchase and now I now own a CNC machine :)
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Is this an arduino controlled table?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Yes, although I am not really sure what that means. Instead of Mach 3 it uses Repitier Host.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the up-date on your purchase and the follow through by the seller.
Now to the arduino based, this means it uses a mini computer to control the operations of the table turning the G-code into actions.
Now for the bigger question can you install any type of Torch Height Control on the system?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by flimmy »

I also have a 4x4 Delusional Design table and it uses a Proma Compact THC .

I chose to pick my machine up at his shop just south of Chicago and save some money. I took my PM 65 with me along with my computer and we set everything up and were cutting parts on the machine I was taking home. I've had my table for a little over a year now and use it about 3-4 days a week cutting art stuff and brackets for sxs's. I haven't had any issues with the table. I have had the occasional problem with not knowing how to do something or what a setting should be and George has always answered my calls , text or emails and has been way more then helpful.

I use TourchMate V9 , I could use Inkscape and have it on my computer just haven't had the time to use it enough to learn everything it can do.

I also run Sheetcam , and Repitier Host
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

acourtjester wrote:Thanks for the up-date on your purchase and the follow through by the seller.
Now to the arduino based, this means it uses a mini computer to control the operations of the table turning the G-code into actions.
Now for the bigger question can you install any type of Torch Height Control on the system?
All my cnc plasma tables come with water table,floating head and auto torch height control.. They also turn off the thc,torch,plate marker and spindle from g code ..The post processor i made can do all these things without stopping to switch things ...Mach is a very old outdated system that uses 15 yr old computers with is very problematic and is not expandable.. by controllers are capable of controlling six axis or four axis,two extruders,a heat bed,two fans, a plate marker, plasma torch,thc off and on, and a spindle for milling all st the same time..Lets see you do that with a mach machine.. My machines also run via usb on win xp,vista,7,8 or 10..They can also be run from an sd card without a computer hooked up..Oh ya for your red flags i sell my 4x4 for $5000 the 4x8 is $6000 a 5x10 is $8000.I do free delivery up to 100 miles from my Griffith,IN location. These are my standard prices with the features listed and a laptop computer with alll the software included.. These are the same prices posted on my website which is Delusionaldesignscnc.com..No i don't spend alot on the website nor do i spend alot on advertising the machines speak for themselves..Yes i am kind of new to this i have been building machines for about 8 yrs now and have been doing this full time for around three yrs..I spent 5 yrs developing the firmware,software and the rest of the machine..The cut quality my machines get is laser quality and they can do this up to 500 ipm....This is all i do you can look up the business license as i am in indiana and the other stuff is readily available online..Only red flag i see is why my competition is charging so much for outdated technology..I stand behind my machines and deliver 95% of the machines i build ..i Do free lifetime software updates and do onsite training and make sure my customers are happy and the machines are cutting doing what they were meant to do..if you are interested in knowing about the machines just message me ..i can tell you anything you want to know as i designed,manufacture and use my machines.. ..
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Oh by the way Mark thanks for the pizza.. It was a fun trip my son was glad we got to do disney while we were down there..i wished we could have made it down early enough to go out on the boat....It was a crazy long drive but being able to two for one it makes it all worth while....i wonder who is using the machine more you or Andrew.. ..Please don't forget to send me more pics of the projects you make... i like seeing the things my customers make
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The cut quality my machines get is laser quality

Another red flag.. :lol:
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Hey George. If I had known you were going to read this I would have said not only are you at least 25 years younger but better looking as well :)

I posted this because I find it rare today that a business actually delivers on what they say they will. You came through with what you promised and I feel comfortable sharing that. As far as Brand X's red flags, I don't know how to respond so I won't.

As far as who is using the machine more, we are working together so far and we are having fun. Andrew (my son) is getting really good at designing and is way more creative than I am. He does tell me I am better at buying stuff for the shop that we "need".

We did set up a Facebook page under "My Shop Company" if you want to check out what we have been doing. But I must warn you that for the photos we covered your "sexy Delusional Designs" logo with our company name. I hope you don't mind too much. Check it out and let me know wha you think.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Ya i must say i like it better with the delusional designs logo :shock: .. but i am glad you are getting to cut all those things that have been bouncing around in your head.I know your customers will truly enjoy the quality products you make for them...I stay true to what i say and what i built the company to do which is build the best possible machine possible for the garage guy or the business that is just getting starts and doesn't want to spend $25,000 on a machine just to get cutting..This is how business should be done.. Simple ,honest,and mutually beneficial.. .Soon you will be expanding and need that 4x8 machine?Just try to buy it in the summer so i can get away from the cold weather up here ;)
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Brand X wrote:The cut quality my machines get is laser quality

Another red flag.. :lol:

Like i said laser quality..See attached pic.. That was 14 ga steel cut at 500ipm with a hypertherm powermax 65 ..This was the first cut off one of my 4x8 machines.. as you can see on the straight cuts where it is a full speed there are none or almost no serrations to the cut.. The two small serrations to the right of my thumb on the rounded part is where the lead in was..The machines speak for themselves you should talk to one of them .. But hey i am always up to see if anyone else has better cuts.. i put a lot of time and effort into making the machines perform like this and not as much into hiring sales men and paying for ads or paying people to go on the forums and knock or talk bad about my competetiors machines which they have never seen in person..I know i know red flag.. we get it
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't even see you thumb
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill