Upgrade to make CNC better

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Upgrade to make CNC better

Post by msc »

I am looking to buy a CNC table but since I do not know how much I will use it I don't want to spend too much initially. If I were to buy a lower end CNC table would I be able to upgrade components, both electrical and mechanical, if I decided I needed to? How difficult is this and would it be worth it?

It seems like the price doubles from the low cost to the name brands. I am finding 4x4 tables for about $5,000 and then the price jumps to about $10,000
and up. Seems like there is nothing in between.

I do not want to build my own machine right now as I really don't feel like I know enough and I want this yesterday. I don't mind spending $5K and improving it over time if I find I use it and find the the need.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Upgrade to make CNC better

Post by _Ogre »

cheaper tables seem to have cheaper parts
v rollers on angle iron vs linear rails and guides is the big difference
thc (torch height control) vs fixed torch and off brand motors and drives are other items that lower cost
typically the better parts make for higher speeds, better tolerances and longer lasting

you could upgrade any of these, but at 3 times the initial cost
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 4 x 4 tables that work best, have the best software and the best support (after the sale) seem to be all in the $12k to $15k range. When you shop for the lowest price often you will get lesser electronics, height controls that do not work well (or no height control) as well as poor support to get you through the learning curve. Some are happy with the lowest priced machines, however there definitely is a big difference in performance, quality of cut and long term support to keep the machines running. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

The $5K question is really "What am I truly going to do with it?" Until you are pretty confident of that, then this is a kinda a WAG for what's a "good" starter table.

Knowing everything I know now... HA... *sigh* me\fights the urge to scream! lol. I maybe should have saved up and spent the $15K-20K to buy a turn-key model that is "supported" by a company recommended by more than just a few folks here but I have a huge problem with space and that forced me to build a custom DIY sized table (48x28 usable), but planning for someday when I got into a bigger space, I could expand the size with very little additional effort or cost.

That said, even if I did have room for a 4x4, I probably would have still built my own table using off the shelf technology for the value, by keeping the critical features of a "pro" table with better components and electronics and saving money using my moderate skills. It still required quite a wide range of skill sets, most of which I had to learn on the way, including, but not limited to:

Welding and Fabrication, PC Troubleshooting, Software and Electronics troubleshooting, Mechanical Engineering, and a shit-load of patience, frustration and sweat. In the end, I'm about 85% happy with my results in spite of a lot of bumbling through things I should have studied more. I have the ability to use my table to not only cut metal in a consistent manner now; I can also do routing of wood and plastics.

Lastly, "upgrades" even when they are planned for, are a real PITA because 9/10 you have to completely tear down the table yourself. I don't know of any company out there that will install these upgrades for you because generally they require so much labor.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”