Looking to get into CNC plasma

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
mtbitt
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Looking to get into CNC plasma

Post by mtbitt »

Hopefully I posted this in the correct place. I have been reading, and getting more confused.

I have an auto repair shop, and would like to expand my horizons.

Naturally, cost is an issue. I did find a place in Troy Ohio that makes and sells cnc plasma tables. Has anyone heard of them? It is about 4 hours from me, so it is possible for me to pick up, instead of having to have shipped.

There was a place listed in Chambersburg PA that I found on Craigslist, now I cannot locate, I was out of town and did not write the phone number down,

Any suggestions are welcomed. I am thinking of a ex4 table but may consider going 4x8 if that would be a big advantage.

Thank You!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking to get into CNC plasma

Post by tnbndr »

Check out LDR Motion Systems, they are in Potsdam, NY. I drove there from WI to pick up my table and have no regrets.

The suggestions you have posted may be viable working options and cheap, but I have never heard of either one and been on this forum for quite a while.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
mtbitt
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mtbitt »

Thanks, I will check them out.
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

I don't want to say not to buy from a little start up company, (they were all little start ups once) but if anything they have is propitiatory and the company goes tits up on you, it can be a big problem. I like my ldr, they have a good reputation, and the componentry is used by several manufacturers.

You could build one, which has its pluses and minuses....but if cutting metal is the goal then just buy a table. If you want a hobby that will drain your patience and time, by all means build a cnc table. I prefer to use the expertise of others when possible, it gets me toward the goal quicker.

Just my .02, good luck!
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I picked up my (first) table from Matt at Bull tear/Starlab earlier this week. I couldn't be more satisfied with my supplier choice. Matt has been hugely helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and patient through this process. He spent the whole day with me at his shop, teaching me the ropes and going over any questions I had.

He had ~5 other tables there, in various sizes and states of construction. His employees were busy bees, and he kept them busy. His time is obviously in demand, yet he spent the entire day with me, to make sure I was not only 100% satisfied with my purchase, but comfortable with it's operation as well.

Speaking of shop...wow. His capabilities are awesome. Huge CNC bridge mill, several CNC machining centers, CNC lathes, manual equipment, industry level software (Solidworks, Mastercam, FEA software, etc). It made me feel good to know that my table (the plasma tables) are the *least* precise machines he's used to dealing with. Not the feeling of some guy in a garage bolting together extruded aluminum beams from China.

He's in MN (was a 10 hour one-way drive for me to get my table). I was sure I made the right choice after reading about his tables, satisfied customers, and customer support. Seeing the actual engineering/manufacturing capabilities only reaffirmed my choice.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

motoguy wrote:I picked up my (first) table from Matt at Bull tear/Starlab earlier this week. I couldn't be more satisfied with my supplier choice. Matt has been hugely helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and patient through this process. He spent the whole day with me at his shop, teaching me the ropes and going over any questions I had.

He had ~5 other tables there, in various sizes and states of construction. His employees were busy bees, and he kept them busy. His time is obviously in demand, yet he spent the entire day with me, to make sure I was not only 100% satisfied with my purchase, but comfortable with it's operation as well.

Speaking of shop...wow. His capabilities are awesome. Huge CNC bridge mill, several CNC machining centers, CNC lathes, manual equipment, industry level software (Solidworks, Mastercam, FEA software, etc). It made me feel good to know that my table (the plasma tables) are the *least* precise machines he's used to dealing with. Not the feeling of some guy in a garage bolting together extruded aluminum beams from China.

He's in MN (was a 10 hour one-way drive for me to get my table). I was sure I made the right choice after reading about his tables, satisfied customers, and customer support. Seeing the actual engineering/manufacturing capabilities only reaffirmed my choice.
Very good info on Starlab. Thank you for posting, we don't hear a giant amount on spider about them.
Cheers!
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by illusivedf »

Dynatorch been running one since 2006 with a Hypertherm Plasma.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

+1 on Bulltear/Starlab!
Had mine for 2 years now with 130amp Hypertherm

Richard
sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

I just got my LDR and I am very happy with the table. Price point was awesome great service and air bladder table.
LDR 4x8 w scribe :D
Miller syncrowave 250
Hobart ironman 230
Baliegh tn 250
Bantam 12 ton 48"
JD2 model 32
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

sr guy wrote:I just got my LDR and I am very happy with the table. Price point was awesome great service and air bladder table.
Technically not a "bladder", there is no physical bladder involved just a uniquely designed air pressurized water tank.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

Yea sorry I know its not a true air bladder but an air adjustable water level tank that has no pump so it makes finding drops and keeping water evaporation down very easy.
LDR 4x8 w scribe :D
Miller syncrowave 250
Hobart ironman 230
Baliegh tn 250
Bantam 12 ton 48"
JD2 model 32
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

The air bladder/water height system of LDR was a big draw for me. I have since found that it's pretty easy to add this type of system to an existing table. I'll be picking up some blue 55 gallon plastic barrels tomorrow, and building a system for my Bulltear. My table has a 2” NPT drain, so it should fill very quickly with only few PSI of air supply.

My 6x12 table holds 180 gallons or so, if I remember correctly. It's located in my garage, right next to the mill. I don't want the mill's ways exposed to that much moisture in an enclosed space, so I wanted to be able to drain the table at will. Just something to keep in mind.
Diesel
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Diesel »

+1 on the LDR table!

Dan and his brother were able to make a custom setup for my needs and they nailed it.
I spent a LOT of time researching my options including DIY and literally all of the commercially available units.

You won't find a better built table with all of the features at the price point they offer...period.
Welded heavy steel frame - not a bolt-together piece.

Not to mention - his pricing is all upfront on the website. ZERO sales pressure too...no sales people calling you after you submit an online form just looking for pricing info.

I too drove from WI all the way to Potsdam, NY (cool little college town, BTW) to pick it up and get some training.

Cheers,

Matt
Custom LDR Motion Systems 5x10 table w/ rotary axis and scribe
Hypertherm Powermax85
Quincy 325 compressor
Ingersoll Rand D18IN refrigerated air dryer
Millermatic 251 MIG
Everlast PowerPro 256 TIG/stick/plasma w/ water cooler
mtbitt
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mtbitt »

Thank you all for the responses! When I pull the trigger, I will most likely buy one instead of building. I would love to build my own, but as I may have stated earlier, I don't need anymore half done crap sitting around.
Jbearden
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jbearden »

I'm dumb to this form posting so spare me the compliments ! I would like to have a 4x4 machine like the burntable with the router and engraver but just not theirs. Heard lots of bad stuff on it. Any help or guidance would be helpful. Thanks
flimmy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by flimmy »

Check out Delusional Designs CNC tables , I have one of the 4x4 tables and love it. Works great and the customer support is great. No problems with the table all the help has been with my lack of knowledge on the software or a setting.
Jaked937
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jaked937 »

I just bought the Detrick Designs table that is made in Troy,Ohio. His table looks to be nice quality and he's a super nice guy for $6000 for the table that comes with everything to make it work including the software I thought it was a good deal. I'm going to run a Hypertherm 65 with it.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Doc Hollywood wrote:Very good info on Starlab. Thank you for posting, we don't hear a giant amount on spider about them.
Cheers!
Matt seems to have changed that. He's a regular here, now!
roooster158
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by roooster158 »

Jaked937 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:15 pm I just bought the Detrick Designs table that is made in Troy,Ohio. His table looks to be nice quality and he's a super nice guy for $6000 for the table that comes with everything to make it work including the software I thought it was a good deal. I'm going to run a Hypertherm 65 with it.
I am also looking at Detrick Designs for my 1st table. Troy, Ohio is a couple hours from me and I would really like to have the company close.
How has your table been working for you and how has your customer service experience been with them since purchasing?

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”