What would you do? - Torchmate Upgrade

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: What would you do?

Post by JEd »

I have a Torchmate 2X4 table with the CAD light. I haven't seen a need for full CAD. I certainly wouldn't buy it just to do nesting on a table of your or my size.

I do wish I had height control, but I don't have to hold metal down when I cut. Just watch for tip ups. I get a little warping especially if I go as thin as 18 gauge, but with 14 gauge and up it hasn't been an issue. I do have a water table and I bet that is what is making the difference.

I'm on the fence as to whether I want to go 4X4 or height control next. Upgrading to a 4X4 is much cheaper, especially since I don't think hieght control will work with my Hobart Plasma.

Not knowing what or how big you cut, if you want to go one step at a time I would go to a 2X4 and build a water table big enough for the 4X4 that you will be wanting eventually anyway. See if the water table helps with your material warping enough to be able to get by without height control for a little while. Then upgrade as necessary from there.
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

you could sub some of your larger jobs out to someone that has a larger table while still keeping your table busy. Use the larger jobs to save for the a larger table. Personally i would hold out for a 4x4 table with the features you desire. Sooner or later youll be looking around your shop at all the money you spent on various tables and componets and think "why didnt i just buy the table i wanted in the first place". Sometimes having a little patience is worth the wait.

thats my 2 1/2 cents
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Another option is use the small table to cut yhe parts to build your own bigger table, Foe less than 3 grand candcncwill sell you the motors controll and thc. Just a thought
Mike
kel fab creations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: What would you do? - Torchmate Upgrade

Post by kel fab creations »

I would get the height control. It can be used on any TM table so you don't have to worry about buying something again. The height control will help you now and is a must when you do decide to go bigger. I would even argue that it's a must now as one peirce to close to the plate can ruin a nozzle. Once you have the height control dialed and know how to operate it correctly you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner. Longer consumable life, better cut consistancy, less edge angularity, far less chance of a tip up collision. Get height control.
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: What would you do? - Torchmate Upgrade

Post by fergy »

yep go the height control

Return to “Torchmate Forum”