Upgrading Machine - Have Torchmate/Thermal Dynamics

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Feckless
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Upgrading Machine - Have Torchmate/Thermal Dynamics

Post by Feckless »

Hi All,
I currently have a torchmate 3 (8x4) with a thermal dynamics 100amp air plasma, I plan to build a bigger, better and stiffer table, I will stick with the stepper motors/cam belt drive combo and use precision ground V-rails. My issue is which power source to run with. I like the TD but when cutting 20mm plate which I do a lot the tips don't last, I understand the Hypertherm consumable life is better. I regularly turn away 25mm plate jobs and I just finished a big job that included me paying someone else to cut the 25mm parts, this amounted to ?5600. This meant a big hit in the total price going out of shop. In the 25mm parts there were a lot of holes which the laser could not do (30mm Dia), I had to drill all these.

I am looking for a plasma power source which will allow me to pierce up to 30mm plate, cut STRAIGHT Holes and not cost a bomb. Is the hole size a reasonable request in the plate thickness, a regular job for me is 20mm plate with 18 and 22mm holes. I am sick of drilling these, I like things round, very little taper and a clean edge, that is why I currently drill them, it is also why I get the customer comming back.

I am looking at either the Thermal Dynamics Ultracut series or the Hypertherm HPR series. I understand Hypertherm is a lot more popular and opinions may be a little biased towards them because less people will have used the TD. The TD Ultracut 200 is about 12K and I have no idea what so ever on the cost of the Hypertherm HPR series, it seems to be a big secret, I know it will varey between countries but all I want is a ballpark figure.
Do many of you fine people on here use mixed gas systems, I'd really like your opinions, including Jim's who has a lifetime of information.
We should get Mike from torchmate on here aswell :D
Many thanks
Gordon
If you dont want to post prices, thats fine also, pm me or click the link to my website and contact me through there.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Upgrading Machine -Feedback needed

Post by jimcolt »

If you need to truly pierce 30 mm plate, and want the roundest, straightest holes....you will need at least a 260 amp high definition class plasma system. A Hypertherm HPR260 with a manual gas flow control is in the $43,000 (US) price range. To get the best holes Hypertherm has a TrueHole process that requires the use of MTC Pronest software, and approved Torch height control system, an HPR260XD system with auto gas flow control, and a Hypertherm Automation cnc control. Round taper free holes are possible with plasma, however it requires that software, THC, cnc and plasma all comminicate perfectly with each other. To learn more about Hypertherm's capability with the True Hole process go to the www.hypertherm.com web site..there is a lot of good info there. Don't let anyone fool you.....to cut round, taper free holes with plasma requires a high level of complexity.....the plasma system cannot do it alone.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Feckless wrote:Hi All,
I currently have a torchmate 3 (8x4) with a thermal dynamics 100amp air plasma, I plan to build a bigger, better and stiffer table, I will stick with the stepper motors/cam belt drive combo and use precision ground V-rails. My issue is which power source to run with. I like the TD but when cutting 20mm plate which I do a lot the tips don't last, I understand the Hypertherm consumable life is better. I regularly turn away 25mm plate jobs and I just finished a big job that included me paying someone else to cut the 25mm parts, this amounted to ?5600. This meant a big hit in the total price going out of shop. In the 25mm parts there were a lot of holes which the laser could not do (30mm Dia), I had to drill all these.

I am looking for a plasma power source which will allow me to pierce up to 30mm plate, cut STRAIGHT Holes and not cost a bomb. Is the hole size a reasonable request in the plate thickness, a regular job for me is 20mm plate with 18 and 22mm holes. I am sick of drilling these, I like things round, very little taper and a clean edge, that is why I currently drill them, it is also why I get the customer comming back.

I am looking at either the Thermal Dynamics Ultracut series or the Hypertherm HPR series. I understand Hypertherm is a lot more popular and opinions may be a little biased towards them because less people will have used the TD. The TD Ultracut 200 is about 12K and I have no idea what so ever on the cost of the Hypertherm HPR series, it seems to be a big secret, I know it will varey between countries but all I want is a ballpark figure.
Do many of you fine people on here use mixed gas systems, I'd really like your opinions, including Jim's who has a lifetime of information.
We should get Mike from torchmate on here aswell :D
Many thanks
Gordon
If you dont want to post prices, thats fine also, pm me or click the link to my website and contact me through there.
Feckless
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Upgrading Machine -Feedback needed

Post by Feckless »

Thanks for the input Jim,
I watched your webcast through the Hypertherm Site, very informative.
This is going to be a serious investment, the Thermal Dynamics setup would come close enough on price.
Jim, is there an info pack available on the requirements needed and ideal setup for the HPR260XD. I will build the table but I dont know exactly what spec is needed, ie. acceleration, max cut speed, protection requirements for cabling and grounding, would it be High Frequency start and so there would be a real possibility of it driving things mental if not done properly.
I hope this is not too off the wall for you Jim, but I have the resources to build myself and I don't have the spare cash to buy a complete system. It's only another human who would be building it anyway, so if they can do it then I can :D

Any of you other lads use Hi Def ?

Kind regds
Gordon

Return to “Torchmate Forum”