Communication timing out TM2

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
IHscouts
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Communication timing out TM2

Post by IHscouts »

I just purchased a used TM2 and am having issues with the communication between the tower and the signal generator. I keep getting a fault because the communication to and from the signal generator has timed out. I'm able to jog X and Y for a few seconds before the fault hits. The USB cable I'm using is 30' long. Would this length of cable be causing this issue? I have personally seen the table work with no issues before I purchased it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Communication timing out TM2

Post by islander261 »

hi

30' is way too long for a passive USB cable to work reliably. Use a short, 2m (6'), good quality cable between the signal generator and computer for best results. I have never had this problem with my system, also bought second hand, in the 5 years I have had it.

John
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

islander261 wrote:hi

30' is way too long for a passive USB cable to work reliably. Use a short, 2m (6'), good quality cable between the signal generator and computer for best results. I have never had this problem with my system, also bought second hand, in the 5 years I have had it.

John
X2 the USB specification says maximum cable length is 5.0 metres (16') but that is under ideal conditions. When I tried a 5.0m cable some years ago, it did not work and I had to shorten it and add a USB hub to act as a repeater. I'm with John, don't go over 2.0 metres.
IHscouts
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by IHscouts »

Thanks guys. I moved everything today to use a shorter USB cable. Everything worked flawlessly. Now to figure out the torchmate CAD program. It's completely different from any Auotcad program that I'm use to. ;)

This table has a torch height controller on it. If I was wanting to extend the Z axis cable, would a regular DB9 work or would it need to be a null modem cable? Is there any limitations on it's length?

I tried to get support from torchmate, but they don't like talking to me since I'm not the original purchaser. Which I disagree with.

Thanks again guys for your knowledge.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Try T/M again sometimes it's hit and miss on customer service, they talk to me and I'm a second hand owner as well. Here is the link to their online help site:

https://www.fabricationforum.com/

Return to “Torchmate Forum”