Torchmate Issue's

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Rudy198
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torchmate Issue's

Post by Rudy198 »

So I just got a job at the local high school as the welding instructor. The welding shop has a torchmate table with a HT 1250 plasma cutter. I don't know much about the table but what i ahve found out is it was suppose to be 2x4 then another 2ft table was added so now it is a 4x4. However something is wrong because the torch can only go 43 in the Y and 46 in the X . I can work with that as long and i don't make anything bigger. My is issue is when we started the cutting a dxf it seems like it has a mind of its own and it will cut wherever it wants to. So I'm looking for a little advice on what it might be.
Would an old laptop cause something like that?
Electrial short?
Something out of alignment?
I've attached a picture of what it is doing, I used the TC Laser fonts on solidwork then imported to Torchmate CAD. Was cutting 3/16" with shielded heat shield and a 60 amp nozzle which what the HT manual recommended.
Is these a better font to use for plasma cutting? Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate Issue's

Post by acourtjester »

I don't have a torchmate but there are a few things that can be common with CNC tables. It looks like you have movement problems from the long pierce cuts, and placement of the cuts on some of the cut operations. As to the cut sequence that is controlled by the CAM part of the job plannings
it can be arranged with all inside cuts first, or distance between cut places.
From the amount of dross in the picture I would think not much maintenance has been done on the table, bearings or rails may be toast. As an instructor you may need to teach the importance of maintenance of equipment :oops:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rudy198
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Rudy198 »

The table hasn't been used for a couple years now,so i will be the only one using this equipment.
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by runninwild400 »

Check the set screws in the drive gears and shafts. Also check the fit between the gears and gear rack. My table has done that before and there was a real tight spot between the gear rack and drive gear which caused the motor to bog down, then it would lunge ahead once past that spot and everything would be off.
Brian
Metal-Magic
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

The bottom picture looks great, can't really see an issue with the actual cut - movements other than the pieces are not dropping out. What you will need is to set up your lead-ins and lead-outs. That can be set on the torchmate CAD software. You can find it in your tool paths menu.....are you creating tool paths? or are you cutting straight from the DXF?

Tool paths are set up so that your cutter / torch cuts on the outside or inside of the image (set by male or female toolpath). When you import your DXF into TorchmateCAD, select the first object and then select toolpaths from the drop down menu (male or female) and it will bring up a popup that allows you to set the parameters along with lead ins and lead outs and overcuts. Once you have the tool path set, delete the original object so that only the tool path remains and then export that out to your CAM software to cut.

The bottom pic looks like the torch has shut off right before finishing the cut, leaving a small piece of material holding the letters in. The overcut will usually fix this issue. I usually use a .25" for my overcut.

As for the others, as mentioned above check your set screws, racks, gears etc... Even if they seem tight, pull them apart and make sure. The motors have incredibly strong torque and what happens is that the set screws get lose and the shaft spins inside the gear, losing the step rates and messing up your cutting.

As for size, you can also set that in your CAM software. Look for the X and Y maximums.

It also looks like your drawings have a couple segments in them and are not completed (closed) objects. On the bottom pic, the letter "U" appears to have three pierces and the letter "F" has four pierces. You should only have one pierce per object to have a clean cut and proper dropouts. Check your drawing and make sure that all the nodes are connected and that your image is not segmented.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Rudy198
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Rudy198 »

I just imported the dxf and let it do the cutting. I did see the lead in and lead outs, i used male lead in. In th3 bottom picture the letters are suppose to removed but as you can see they are still attached. We noticed after the cut that a few segments were not closed so that's why all the pierced cuts. I have heard a lot about the set screws becoming loose.
runninwild400

Post by runninwild400 »

I've never had the set screws come loose but I did have a problem with the gear rack and drive gears being to tight.
Brian
Metal-Magic
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

On the same page as the lead-ins/lead-outs there should be a setting for overcut. I usually go .25" and it works great.
Best of luck.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
BAR M
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BAR M »

I have had a set screw loosening problem and solved it by first tightening the set screw then adding another set screw on top of it.

Return to “Torchmate Forum”