Torchmate signal generator

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Torchmate signal generator

Post by Maadman »

I've been cutting for about 2 years now. In that time I have had to replace 4 of the drive boards and the mother board in my signal generator. I realize that they are now making their own signal generators because of the quality of the one I have, but has anyone ever had this much trouble? It's a simple fix, but waiting for the parts creates a lot of down time, plus the expense of the boards. Any ideas??
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Torchmate signal generator

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I have a 2008 Torchmate (Fastcut) that hasn't given me any trouble. I have replaced the Torchmate driver box with a home made one so I could get full drive current and higher voltage to the motors. I used a Gecko G540 and power supply off of Ebay. The signal generator box hasn't missed a beat, knock on wood. My electronics do live in a nominally dust proof box.

John
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Never had a problem on mine and been running it for over 5 years. Check and make sure all your grounds are properly grounded in your plugs and breaker panels, check for phantom electrical feedback. I would also check for some type of high frequency input from somewhere that may be taking them out.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Great ideas. I am, again, on the road for craft shows but will check it all when I finally get home. They all make sense, there has to be something strange going on.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Back up and running. Checked it all, can't find a thing wrong. We will be at Torchmate for software training the first of December. Maybe I can get some more help then. Thank you all for your responses and help.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

No issues here. How much are they banging you on the cards?
You are better off buying them from flashcut cnc as they made the box for torchmate. I have had 0 issues over 3 years. Maybe you should send your box to flashcut and have them test it out?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

The mother board was over $600 and the signal boards are over $200. Before the company who made the mother board would send out a new one, they required a picture of my old board, with serial number visible, broken in half. That one surprised me!!! Is Flashcut the one who is making the signal generator now or previously? Torchmate has upgraded about 3 years ago. New signal generator runs about 6 grand! That's not going to happen.
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

Maadman wrote:The mother board was over $600 and the signal boards are over $200. Before the company who made the mother board would send out a new one, they required a picture of my old board, with serial number visible, broken in half. That one surprised me!!! Is Flashcut the one who is making the signal generator now or previously? Torchmate has upgraded about 3 years ago. New signal generator runs about 6 grand! That's not going to happen.

I just talked to flashcut this afternoon about retrofitting a kioke plasma table we bought yesterday with all new stuff. 9k is a bunch of money but comes with what seems like really great stuff. My explanation isnt the best but what im trying to say is before you give lincoln 6k for just a signal generator give Flashcut a call

Also we run a 12 year old Torchmate table with red face height control.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I just want to clarify that the 6k to Lincoln wasn't just for the signal generator, it also included all the product to adapt the machine to the new generator. The new generator is not backwards compatible without all the new parts to adapt it. The new setup is really nice. But I don't like being forced into making all those changes to replace 1 part. Wish they had a simpler, and less expensive, plan.
I have since finished the new building the machine was to go into. We have moved the machine and all seems well. It hasn't been that long since the move so only time will tell!
I want to thank you for the info on Flashcut!! If I have to go looking again I will include them in my search.
Fastyankee
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

Don't go with Acumove it is very unreliable and Finicky as all get out. Since I switched my table has been down more than up.

AJ
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

You are about 3 weeks late, but thanks anyway! Lightening strike took out my "black box". Had to move to the Accumove upgrade. Instructions for setup sucked and instructions for the new software don't exist. VERY disappointed! Had a great deal of frustration trying to get it to work. On top of that literally half the support team were taking classes the week I got it. They don't have enough people there to start out with! Wait time was always at least 40 minutes.
They were very helpful once I got them on the line. But, when we got to a problem with the Z axis loosing position, and they couldn't figure out why, it became a grounding issue. Then they were done with me. I have an earth ground that is on the grounding bolt of the machine, it then goes to my sheet of metal, there are no grounding issues. I finally have it working fairly well, just a VERY frustrating start.
DB2018
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by DB2018 »

islander261 wrote:Hi

I have a 2008 Torchmate (Fastcut) that hasn't given me any trouble. I have replaced the Torchmate driver box with a home made one so I could get full drive current and higher voltage to the motors. I used a Gecko G540 and power supply off of Ebay. The signal generator box hasn't missed a beat, knock on wood. My electronics do live in a nominally dust proof box.

John
Do you use torchmate cad/cam with the homemade driver box? I have a table that is over 10 years old and isn't supported by anyone. We are using the 401 Serial signal generator and Torchmate CAM 2. Table needs new motors but we were afraid that aftermarket stepper motors wouldnt be compatible with the old Torchmate 2 software. Thanks for any help!
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Look at the Gecko web site, they have an excellent tut on stepper motor applications.

The steppers don't care about your software or the other way. The steppers do care about what drivers you have (box between signal generator and motors). You will need to get the ratings for the drivers to find the correct motors. A call to Flashcut my get you the info you need. They will most likely also have steppers but will try and sell you a new system. PM me if you need more help.

John

Return to “Torchmate Forum”