Torchmate 4x4 losing position

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
t.pfaffle
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torchmate 4x4 losing position

Post by t.pfaffle »

Hey guys, hoping someone might have some experience with similar issues.

Have a 4x4 growth series table with a hypertherm 65, torchmate THC and machine torch.

Any time I run my table over 100 inches per minute, the thing loses position pretty rapidly. I've attached a picture of a relatively small cut that shows how crooked it gets in a short time. This was only 120 inches per minute on 12 gauge sheet. This cut is also all splines and smooth corners, so no crazy direction changing.

If I stay under 100, everything is fine. Generally don't have any issues.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been through the gantry twice trying to find the issue. Re-set all the set-screws holding the pulleys onto the gears, checked tightness, etc.

It's messed up two 18" round art pieces (See the DXF section for a file!) and I don't have any more plate to waste. Tired of this thing wasting more money than it makes and really want it fixed.

Thanks folks!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate 4x4 losing position

Post by comeoutswingin »

I think your entire machine probably needs re-squared. You're probably square enough at low speed that the motors can power through and not lose position, but at high speed they have lost enough torque to not be able to power through (meaning the resistance goes up).

I used to run my machine loose, because I was never able to get it to run through its entire speed range will all bearings touching. For plasma, it worked fine.
5x10 LDR
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

I have a TM3 5x10. I have had this problem from time to time. What usually helps is 1) blowing the dirt out of the control box, 2) making sure nothing is binding on the gantry. My typical cut speed is 215 ipm on anything up to 10 ga. It doesn't take much of a snag to make it bind just a little and lose a step or two.
These things usually fix the problem......usually. Good luck to you......let us know what fixes your problem.
t.pfaffle
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t.pfaffle »

Thanks guys. I'll re-check the squaring and clean everything out. While I re-square I'll run the gantry back and forth a few times to make sure there is no binding. Torchmate so far thinks the issue lies within the set screws or the belts, so we'll see what they can help me figure out as well.

Will report back when I verify and fix the issue just in case anyone else ever has problems.
Donnyjr
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Donnyjr »

I had the same problem with my 4x4 , tried everything. My issue was the set screws on the belt drives. Once I tightened them up no problems anymore.
Hope this helps.
KKesner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by KKesner »

I have a 4x4 growth series as well and today it started to loose position in the same way as yours. I have checked the pulleys and belts, all are tight. I have also checked for binding in the x&y travel and there appears to be none. Have you found cause of your issue yet?

Thanks for any help,
Ken
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom."
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

Mine did this too. After checking for square, torchmate had me open up the signal box and turn the motor screws up. (Apparently they were all set the same from the factory) Haven't had a problem since.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
madracing007
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by madracing007 »

what control box are you running jsd010?
mazuk9999
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mazuk9999 »

I have 2x4 GS and 100 ipm is the max I can run no matter how simple the file is Tm keeps telling me 1 its the set screw which have not been loose yet and 2 my drawing are no good with to many nodes, It even messes up doing a simple square at anthing over 100ipm and 3 my tables not square ( im a machinist by trade so believe me when I say my table is probably the squarest GS table out there) Not far from replacing it with a different brand

Return to “Torchmate Forum”