It's pissing me off!

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Poh
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

It's pissing me off!

Post by Poh »

So, This has been an ongoing problem..I have a 5' x 10' x table from torchmate, an HSD 130 Plasma machine, and a Hypertherm Height control.....The techs have came and gone, they have tapped into my computer from there office, and of course, while they are here, or via computer , the problem does not occur...
I can run several files with no problems...Then I can run several files with nothing but problems, (continuously erroring out) to the point where I have to reboot my program because it is no longer responding..The torch will make a pierce, then just stay right there for several seconds then shut off, so i have to reset my thc, put a thin piece of scrap over the pierce and hope it works, and it does... sometimes it will go 3 or 4 more pierces and do the same thing, long story short, my 12 minute file can take up to an hour to cut out due to all the resets..It does not mater the size of material either, the machine is an equal opportunity offender..The parameters I run come right out the hypertherm manual ...anyone else had this issue?
Poh, Stainless is Forever!!!
Torchmate 5'x10' water table,Torchmate 8 CAD
Hypertherm HSD 130
Plate Marker ,Tube Cutter, and Oxy-Acetylene
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: It's pissing me off!

Post by jimcolt »

A few more details may help:

-What cnc controller is on the machine? Is it a laptop, PC or industrial control....and if industrial make and model?
-Does this occur only on a particular thickness.....or on all thicknesses. What thickness range are you cutting.
-Is there a particular set of consumables and power level.....or does it occur at all power levels?
-Do you have to power down the cnc control when this occurs?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Poh

Post by Poh »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim,
Torchmate "red" cnc controller
It is a Dell pc Torchmate supplied
and again ,It happens from the 50amp range ,to the 130 amp range..from 14 g to 1".. It happens when it wants to..
The controller disconnects, does not power down, simply disconnects from the program, that is what the little pop up box tells me any how, then after several "mis-fires" I have to reboot the TM program, manually enter all the previous coordinates so it will start in the same place, and cover my pierce, so it will read.

Oh and the height controller is Hypertherm Sensor PHC
Hypertherm HSD 130
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
No Class
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by No Class »

I have a torchmate with the red control box and I have had a similar issue. Not exactly the same but similar. My torch would index down and touch. Raise to pierce height. Depending on the lunar cycle, tide level, or other unknown event it would either just wait there or a slight spark would leave the torch then just sit there. I did get a 'no pierce signal' received message or something similar to that displayed after approx 20 seconds. It was an intermittent problem that made me crazy!

To make a long story longer, after doing a good bit of reading and many many less than fruitful conversations with the tech support people. Who were very willing to help I will add, just didn't end up helping. I found a post on the Pirate 4x4 forum that fit my symptoms like a glove. I ended up removing the circuit board that is responsible for generating the pierce signal and cleaning the contacts etc and reinstalling. I have not had the issue since.

Maybe this will help?
I can take pictures or explain exactly where the ckt board is if you suspect it could be your issue also. Quick fix overall.

PS
I am running a Torchmate X 5x10, Powermax 85, Torchmate AVHC,
Captsomer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Captsomer »

Could it be a mechanical problem? Something like a sticking slide or the gantry getting hung up or something? Is everything moving cleanly?

If it's not mechanical, have you checked the G code? Is the table even getting the commands to move the torch from the G code? I know just enough about G code to be dangerous but I'm sure that some of the guys around here could help you troubleshoot that issue.

I would guess that if you pass both of those tests, then it would have to be a controller problem. If so, I'd contact the manufacturer.
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Captsomer wrote:Could it be a mechanical problem? Something like a sticking slide or the gantry getting hung up or something? Is everything moving cleanly?

If it's not mechanical, have you checked the G code? Is the table even getting the commands to move the torch from the G code? I know just enough about G code to be dangerous but I'm sure that some of the guys around here could help you troubleshoot that issue.

I would guess that if you pass both of those tests, then it would have to be a controller problem. If so, I'd contact the manufacturer.
Just a follow up to this mechanical issue and since the tech guys have combed pretty much everything technical. I had a piece of equipment (not plasma machine) that was giving me fits and it turned out to be a hidden bearing that had gone out causing the machine to hand up. Also saw a post on here awhile back and the plasma cutter was dirty causing a similar problem. I know I have to watch mine as most of us don't work in the most sterile environment.
Poh

Post by Poh »

Pretty certain its not g-code, I can run the same program several times without error, then whamo it goes crazy on me.
As far as grime, or stickiness.. maybe, But I do keep the machine pretty well polished, (being Government contractors, ya never know who will pop in for a tour),lubed, oiled...Everything is smooth... And as Stated, Torchmate has been contacted, They have been here for hours in person, and via internet..when they are here it seems to work fine..dunno..frustrating for sure.
Hypertherm HSD 130
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

I've never worked with a Torchmate machine. However, the symptoms you describe could easily be caused by interference.
I chased similar issues on my table for a while before I spent the time to attach proper earth grounds to it.

Do you have a good earth ground system installed and inter-connected to all moving parts of the table?
Is there a uninterruptible power supply or isolated power with good surge protection supplied to the control box as well as the computer?
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Poh

Post by Poh »

Well, Torchmate delivered,and set up the unit, because we didn't want issues..lol..
but yes, the ground rod is within 5' of table, computer is surge protected, and has a ups..and I run a ground clamp from the table leg to the work..Leg is grounded to ground rod, as is everything else..
Hypertherm HSD 130
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

How does Torchmate communicate with your PC? USB, Parallel, Ethernet?

If it is only happening at 50amps and up I think your connect cable (whatever it is) needs to be routed differently or shielded.

Sometimes you can run a communication a type cable on top of and wrapped around a power cable & have no problem. Then turn around and run it parallel 2 ' away and all hell breaks out . .

What ever cable try rerouting . . . Once you isolate the cause you can engineer a solution . .

Just a thought . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Ok, just because....do you happen to have anyone in the shop that is using a tig welder or other welder that uses high frequency? I have the same problem with my machine whenever I fire up my Tig to weld aluminum....it fritzes out the plasma....only on aluminum though. I can weld steel no problem while the plasma cuts. I have never been able to figure out why but it knocks out the controller whenever the tig fires.

Being a smaller operation I just don't weld aluminum while cutting on the table and the problem is gone. BTW, it also fritzes out my phone and my MP3 player.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by fergy »

Had a lot of problems with machine.
Would be cutting and then for no reason would just stop cutting
Ended up being from metal partials being stuck in the keyboard new keyboard all fixed
Then it happened again so got a wiz bang washable key board, keyboard fine
But cannot run a cut with it plugged in have to pull the cable out
When I do try it just goes to pierce and then stops
It's a bit annoying but just have to remember to unplug before cutting
Fergy
Poh

Post by Poh »

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I have thought about and addressed each one of them at one time or another..I'll just keep doing it the way I have, until I get a more definitive course of action.
On a good note, the machine ran the same file as the file I wrote this post about without any errors..weird , I know..
Hypertherm HSD 130
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I was to lazy to read everything above but mine does this at times..have narrowed it down to moisture in my lines..drain them and starts working like a charm again.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
Poh

Post by Poh »

Thanks all for your input... alas it were a bad ground...dohhh :oops: , working good for now.
Hypertherm HSD 130
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

Glad to hear you found it.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Glad to see it resolved. Do you mean the earth ground rod wasn't good enough? Or something else ?

Return to “Torchmate Forum”