Possible upgrade from a TM2 to a TM3

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Possible upgrade from a TM2 to a TM3

Post by jmsrbrt »

I doubt if anyone has both type machines, but I'm looking for insight. The Torchmate 2 comes with one X axis motor, whereas the Torchmate 3 comes with two X axis motors. My question is, would there be any noticeable difference in the accuracy of your cuts, with a drive motor on both sides of your table, as opposed to one drive motor and a driveshaft to the opposite side of the table? Thought??
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Possible upgrade from a TM2 to a TM3

Post by Gamelord »

I think you would only see an improvement if you are using a large table and your current gantry has some flex or movement in it. The second motor on the other side would help keep movement/flex to a minimum.

If you are using a 4' wide table or smaller, it probably is not going to improve anything.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Possible upgrade from a TM2 to a TM3

Post by jmsrbrt »

For any future respondents, I have a 4x8 table, and the gantry is that 80/20 extruded aluminum. The table is constructed from 3 inch square tubing. Everything is pretty much rock solid, so if I'm getting any variances between identical parts, then it must be in loose set screws, stretched belts, or possibly "play" between the spur gears and my gear rack. What, if any, are other possibilities?
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas

Return to “Torchmate Forum”