Hello, very new here, looking for info/insight on used DHC

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Hello, very new here, looking for info/insight on used DHC

Post by VPT »

The slower rate doesn't put more heat into the material?

I cut some 14G stainless today, 45 amps, 300ipm. Lots of warp but I just cut small sections at a time.

VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by VPT »

More fun today! You wouldn't understand! :lol:

MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MIFab »

Its a jeep thing I do understand! I like the jeep :D VPT ! I m able to cut things on my table but out of no where my 16g started warping your post has me thinking now I need to go out and check some setting!
VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by VPT »

I cut the stainless with a drag tip in the torch which I am sure helped the warping. I am sure it would be much better with the fine cut and machine shield. I know stainless is just going to warp if your doing allot of cutting in a small area too.
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

If the torch is cutting too high off the metal you will get a lot more warping.
The height control is calibrated with the "Arc Voltage Shift" and is mostly dependent on the amperage nozzle used. By the way, you should run the amps to the rating of the nozzle.
For a Hypertherm with a 45 amp nozzle I would set the cut height to .063 and the Arc Voltage Shift to 1.05. Make a test cut and stop the machine after a few inches and see how high the torch is. If the torch is too high, decrease the Arc Voltage Shift. Change it by the amount you want the torch to come down. Let's say you want the torch to come down .01". So you will subtract .01 from 1.05 which is 1.04. If you need to raise the cut, increase the Arc Voltage Shift. Not so hard, eh?
George
VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by VPT »

Thanks George!

Just the other day I played around with the height control for around an hour. I was trying to get the torch to come down tot he right height by adjusting everything in the height control section but didn't have much luck. I didn't adjust anything with the arc shift because I didn't know much about it plus I was trying to get the torch to act right without actually cutting anything.

I have done some more reading about the height control and will try some more with some spare material and do some actual cutting and adjust the voltage shift and stuff like you suggested.

I read in a pdf from John that the machine should be initialized after each zero shift adjustment?
VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by VPT »

Cut up some 3/4" plate the other day. table and PM worked great!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”