plate rollers for table?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

plate rollers for table?

Post by i_r_machinist »

Does someone make or sell plans for some kind of plate roller system for a plasma table? We have a Samson 5x10 table. We don't have a crane over the table and are having to load plate by hand from the end of the table. This is a real pain with the heavier plates. I would like to find some kind of a roller system that would raise and lower for sliding the plate off the end of the table.
Thanks
i_r_
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: plate rollers for table?

Post by BrianMick »

I found with the samson the easiest way is to use 7/8 round bar (3pc) the length of the table. lay them on the table and you can slide your sheet on with out hitting the grate points, lift one end with a forklift and pull the bars out..
Brian
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

BrianMick wrote:I found with the samson the easiest way is to use 7/8 round bar (3pc) the length of the table. lay them on the table and you can slide your sheet on with out hitting the grate points, lift one end with a forklift and pull the bars out..
Brian

Brian,

That has worked well for me also on my 4x8 Pcam table until I installed an overhead crane. Wandered why I didn't do the crane alot sooner but the round bar works well.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

The attached pics are of a tilting plate loader I made back in 2004 when I was still working from home.
I used serpentine belt pulleys that I'd bought at auction years ago however, any reasonable size bearing would do the job.
It would be an easy mod to get it to raise and lower but, I have an overhead loader at the shop and have no need.
I still use this to transport sheets from the rack to table altho, it has had one or two mods since then (bigger castors for one.
I've also fitted rollers along the bottom edge when its tilted and, I can load and move a 2400 X 1200 sheet of 12mm plate single handed using this loader.
I also gets used as a paint stand, mobile bench etc.....it's been such a valuable addition to the shop, I don't know what I'd do without it.
I'll take more pics when I'm at the shop tomorrow.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

That cart is EXACTLY what I'm planning to build, to move my sheets from rack to table! Thanks for posting it so I know it's worth making.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
crossfab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by crossfab »

Great idea! Looks like a sheet rock lift.
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

I can't take all the credit on the design, I only expanded an idea that Steve Peterson had shown on the PIG site years ago.
If anyone needs dimensions let me know, I'll measure it up tomorrow and post them.
cnchybrid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cnchybrid »

post dimensions would ya. easy enough to replicate but could save some time by seeing what you come up with so I can model it up in sketchup... Thanks
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

The tilting frame is made from 25 X 50 RHS and, measures 2160 X 1200.
The wheel frame is made from 50 X 50 SHS.....sizes would depend on type of castor you fit.
I've extended the wheel mounts further out ....my floor isn't exactly cherry and, I needed more stability.
The attached pics show how I store my plate, it's a simple matter of rolling the plates onto the transport, then to the table.
Using the serpentine pulleys means the plates never come off because of the outer flange and, always run in the grooves.

Cheers
Mick.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”