Pipe cutter

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Pipe cutter

Post by Borntofabricate »

How feasible is it to cut square and rectangular tube with the Pipe cutter attachment?

I have a plan to spin the tube with an adapter system. So that's not a problem.

However, I'm not sure if the software and advanced height control could handle shapes?

What do you think, thoughts, concerns, ideas?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pipe cutter

Post by tcaudle »

Never heard of anyone doing it with the PCAM but hey, maybe you will get it to work and then there WILL be someone!
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

What's the likelihood that DesignEdge can handle the fast rise and drop as the torch goes over the corner of square tube while it's spinning?

Would that be a function of the height control?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Speed won't be a problem but the nature of square tubing might be a little tricky. I'd be inclined to do square tubing one side at a time for pretty cuts or notches by using a jig.

Also, the factory Z motor only has 2 inches of travel so you'd probably do well to consider the kit that John Derby sells to extend your Z travel to 4.5"
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Are you saying cut one edge at a time at 90 degree angles to the torch, but still use the pipe cutter to spin it?

Like so:

Cut one side and letting the torch run off the edge.
Raise the torch so the pipe cutter can spin it 90 degrees to the next side.
Then continue on with the edge cut.
And so forth until all 4 sides are done.

What do you gurus think?
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

A true rotary sqr/ rect tubing setup is actually a 4 axis machine that not only uses the THC on flats but raises the Z and moves the Y (cross axis) as it rotates and also compensates for the rounded corners on larger, thicker tubing. Its 905 in the CAM program. The Rotary Plasma Plugin for SheetCAM knows when to lift Z and move X and at what rate compared to the rotary speed. That way you get a continuous cut instead of cutting a side, then indexing 3 times. You have to have a fully independent Z axis to do it properly and the rotational move has to be in sync with the ZY moves.
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thank you. I do have Design Edge not sheetcam. I looked at some youtube videos and saw some industrial pipe cutters cutting off the edge. I didn't see any that tilt the torch actually. Just travel up and down and side to side.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I could do it with my Design Edge (Except I didn't buy the pipe cutting attachment and probably won't as I don't have a need). Because I have the '3d upgrade' I can assign independent Z-axis heights for the move. That said, unless I was cutting hundreds of them a day it would be MUCH simpler on just about any machine to just use a jig and index it the 3 times.
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Not hundreds a day, but the same cut file over and over.

I could see how flipping it by hand might be easier and faster than loading each one in the pipe cutter.

Changing subjects, what are the pros/cons of John Derby's kit versus the Klemmbot?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Borntofabricate wrote:Not hundreds a day, but the same cut file over and over.

I could see how flipping it by hand might be easier and faster than loading each one in the pipe cutter.

Changing subjects, what are the pros/cons of John Derby's kit versus the Klemmbot?
Correct on the indexing or super special rotary settings. When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. Sometimes it's not! :lol: Holes and notches on the plasma then an Evolution saw might in fact be miles faster and easier.

I have Klemm's rail lift system. I am thinking of jumping up to the linear actuators that Joe linked to on the owner forum. They're a grand but with some fab they will accomplish the rail lift and be easier than the mechanical version.

That said, they do two different things. The rail lift will give you more clearance under the gantry so you can get larger items under it to cut. You will still be limited by the 2" of Z axis travel. Say you're cutting a dome shaped piece like a plow disc that has a 5" height. You'll be able to get it under and cut a lot of it using just the rail lift but if you're cutting up at the top and want to cut all over the disc you will run out of Z travel and have to change the rail height to do it in sections. With the increased Z travel from John's kit you would be able to cut most of it without changing the rail height. (note, customizable size upgrade is required to take full advantage of John's kit)
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Have you had any issues with the rails and gantry staying aligned/square with Klemm's lift?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

No, I haven't had any trouble but I do find that the chain drive can be a pain and that's why I'm considering the actuators to replace.
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Gotta. I looked at Joe's actuators. Those are way taller than I need. Wish I could find some shorter ones.
Borntofabricate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Speak of the devil Joe posted some other actuator options today over on the owners group. https://owners-community.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50028

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”