Plasmacam/Hypertherm setup

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Plasmacam/Hypertherm setup

Post by Boneyard Welding & Fab »

Hello, as a new member here let me first introduce myself. My name is Mike, I'm from Ohio and been a welder/fabricator for around 15 years. Recently decided to strike out on my own as an independent shop. So I'm going from my old school ways of doing everything by hand and recently ordered a new Plasmacam 4x4.

Now as I said above I'm old school, so computers and electronics are not my strong point. My main question in a nutshell is this. With a new Plasmacam table and a new Hypertherm powermax 85 with machine torch what is needed to connect the two? I've tried searching different sources but have yet to get a straight to the point answer. My goal is to have the machines set up and running as soon as possible after delivery, and I'd rather not go through the trial and error or cutting and splicing headache on several thousand dollars of new equipment.
I've also ordered the hand torch so I can use the machine manual when needed, but I doubt that will make much difference.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Contiveros
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam/Hypertherm setup

Post by Contiveros »

Hello Mike
Im Cornelio Ontiveros from San Antonio, Texas I offer you any help you may need in your new venture sir. I can understand the old schools since for so many years it was the only way I knew myself because of the way I was taught, I was always asking question looking for a different way. I was prior Military a DAV now but still remembering to give back to others when possible. I've been a college and secondary educator for many years instructing welding technology and structural design, with experience in Plasmacam Tables sir. I hope your Plasma hypertherm 85 was ordered with both torches with a CPC port on the unit to make the use of both torches simpler to use. The need question you asked was about the machine torch intergrated to your table, will you have a choices sir. 1) Order a machine torch Alu. adapter block mount for the carriage. It would be BEST to purchase either the Snap-n-Cut torch mount or the BOSS Manufacturing torch mount and set it up using that 2) Either of the following are very good to use
a) Boss Manufacturing. Call 530-865-2134 plasmatorchprotectionsystem.com
b) Snap-n-cut https://snapncut.com

CPC port adapter Hypertherm 85 www.pjmetalfab this is the son of Jim Colt Hypertherm

Please note plasma torch mount is designed to breakaway from the carrier in the event of a collision with a piece of material. This prevents any damage that could result from the collision ensuring that if this magnetic mount saves your torch once, it paid for itself!

I hope this is what you were looking for email me with any questions or if I explained unclearly in the post sir.

Thank You
Cornelio Ontiveros
NCP Designs & Welding, LLC
San Antonio, Texas
DHC2 Plasmacam Custom 7’ x 18’ Plasma Table, Hypertherm 85 Plasma Machine Torch, Miller 875 Plasma Torch, Lincoln Aspect 375 TIG, Lincoln 275 TIG, Miller 200, Lincoln 250 SMAW, Lincoln 256 MiG Spool Gun, Miller 211, Miller 210 MIG, Miller Trailblazer 302
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thanks for the reply Mr. Ontiveros. This is a perfect example of why I've grown to love the metal fab industry. The willingness of other fabricators to help each other. I'm former military myself, I understand and agree on the rule of giving back. Like yourself I was taught the ways of the old hand, so to say some of this new technology is overwhelming at first glance would be an understatement.

My table has been ordered from Plasmacam brand new with all the bells and whistles I think I'll need at the moment. I sourced the PM 85 unit separate to save almost $1500 on my cost. It is also a new unit bought in a package available from Hypertherm that comes with both torches and the cpc port. My main confusion was getting the cutter and table linked together. The cable you've listed seems to be exactly the part I would need. I've heard good things about Mr. Colt and hearing he's involved in the product gives me some piece of mind it'll do what I need.

I've looked at the attachment blocks and I can see myself installing one on my table. Seems to be a worthwhile investment to have one. I have till after the first of the year before my table arrives so maybe I can convince the wife one of these would be a good Christmas present lol.

I greatly appreciate your assistance, I was starting to feel a little lost in the technical parts of these new systems. Granted I'm only 37 years old, but I've spent most of that time working with my hands and not electronics. I can weld in almost every process, fab off road bumpers, tube chassis, body panels, suspension parts and loads of other complicated things as well as smith knives and other small things by hand. Yet I can honestly say I'm behind the curve on computers. This is also the big reason I went with a Plasmacam system, for the easier to use software.

Hopefully as my business and experience with these systems grows I'll be able to contribute more than just asking for advice. Till then please excuse my ignorance if I tend to ask what should be by common sources some easy/dumb questions.

Thanks again
Mike Brooks
Boneyard Welding and Fabrication
Guysville, Ohio
nevetskrats
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by nevetskrats »

Mike,

I have this same setup and absolutely agree with everything Ontiveros told you. The cable from PJ metal fab will come with instructions on everything you need to know and makes it very simple. I didn't have any experience with plasmacam before setting it up and had no issue at all getting it up and running. If you haven't already start thinking about ventilation. I put skirts on my table and bought the 2000 cfm fan from plasma spider and I haven't had any issues so far.
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

I've been thinking of an efficient way to increase the ventilation in my shop. Currently I'm using rooftop vents and barrel fans. Been kicking around ideas for a downdraft system made from a fan similar to yours, sheet metal skirts or air box and some 8" flex duct. My mind says it should work but I won't be able to do anything with it just yet till I have the table in place.
Contiveros

Post by Contiveros »

Happy New Year!
So did you get your Table all setup afterall ?

Cornelio
San Antonio
DHC2 Plasmacam Custom 7’ x 18’ Plasma Table, Hypertherm 85 Plasma Machine Torch, Miller 875 Plasma Torch, Lincoln Aspect 375 TIG, Lincoln 275 TIG, Miller 200, Lincoln 250 SMAW, Lincoln 256 MiG Spool Gun, Miller 211, Miller 210 MIG, Miller Trailblazer 302
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I haven't gotten my order from plasmacam yet, it's scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

I'll post updates as I can, it's been busy here at the shop.
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

So far I've upgraded my compressor to an 80 gallon 2 stage, installed some extra vent fans, sourced a desktop computer with Windows 7 and parallel port and cable, and received both my Hypertherm 85 and cable from PJ fab both just today. According to the tracking number from plasmacam my table will arrive on the 1st.

Still waiting on getting a break away torch mount. Have to let the budget recover for a little while. Is there anything else I've forgotten that I'll need?
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Did you get the Hypertherm with the built in CPC? If so you'll need to open up the cover and change the voltage divider from the factory setting of 50:1 to 21.2:1
Boneyard Welding & Fab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Yep, I got the Hypertherm with the cpc port and machine torch. My table actually just arrived 30 minutes ago and I'm unpacking it now.... It's like Christmas came early. :D

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”