DHC2 Upgrade Offer

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

DHC2 Upgrade Offer

Post by yeomansjon »

I couldn't find anyone discussing this on this forum, but have the DHC guys seen the upgrade offer from Plasmacam to upgrade your machine to a DHC2 for around $6k? Looks like they replace the gantry with all new moving parts, new wiring, new controller, and it comes with the latest Design Edge. It also looks like it has advanced height controls (Digital 2?). For those that have this setup already, do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? I seem to be doing fine with my current DHC setup but maybe I don't know what I don't know. I do battle with height control but with some baby sitting I can get my consumables to last a long time.

A little insight on this would be great, or if you know of a better use for $6k for a plasma table i'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

-Jonny
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: DHC2 Upgrade Offer

Post by yeomansjon »

Second to this, is there anyone on this forum in the CT or New England / NY / PA area that has a DHC2 with advanced height control? I would love to swing by and watch it in action to get an idea of what I may be missing. Thanks again.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

No question at all. It is a bargain! It is by far the most cost effective approach for a DHC owner that is considering or has considered upgrading to a DHC2.

When it is all said and done, you would have a DHC2 with ADVANCED HEIGHT CONTROL, ADVANCED DESIGN SOFTWARE ADVANCED MACHINE CONTROL, and Extra seat license. The only thing that would really remain from the DHC machine would be the frame.

The cost of the upgrade is pretty darn low given that you end up having a very well equipped DHC2 cutting system that normally costs around $16,000 along with advanced and upgraded features.

Before this upgrade was available, a lot of DHC abusers were more than happy to pay full price to upgrade to a DHC2 because of the very innovative features and a much better height control mechanism vs the DHC The height control on the DHC2 is automated so well and to such a degree that it is... completely hands off and completely idiot proof! ( we are talking about almost zero user input. It has fabulous initial material sensing, Auto-zero Z and ark voltage shift...it all automatic) Here is something that I would never dare to do with a DHC: walk completely away from it while its doing a job and ......... go make a gigantic mess in the kitchen while attempting to construct a really large salami sandwich! the only difference on DHC2 vs a DHC is that when come back things are good!!! But even is there was a problem (piece of waste material pops up that failed to fall thru the grates) The machine will stop avoid a a disastrous collision... all by it self. The Collision avoidance height control on this machine is absolutely suburb! It avoids some very costly mistakes (no more messed up torch heads or dragged pieces of material)

A few other things that I like on the DHC2 (hardware wise) are the new carriage on the Dhc2 and the newer torch holder it has is definitely a whole lot less of a hassle to deal with VS the really frustrating one on that is on the old DHC machine (anyone with a DHC knows what I am talking about on this). You can keep the torch in place, simply just raise the Z axis in order to change your consumables, instead to having to take the entire torch out and deal with all of the fun associated with securing your torch back in that DHC holder.

On plasmacams owners community and it should be pretty easy to touch base with some near you on their. The owners community also has a lot of really great post is the achieves from owners that have had years of experience on both cutting systems.

all in all, you really cant go wrong with this upgrade on the DHC when it comes to price in relation to the really awesome features and that you'll be getting with it.

Good luck Fellas.

JAG
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

Thanks for the feedback JAG! You make a lot of good points and it sounds like a no brainer so I may have to start getting the finances in order now. Question about the collision avoidance, how does that work? Does it sense the collision after it happens and stops, or does it have some means of optical detection that stops the movement to avoid the collision all together? I can see this being a huge improvement for me because like you say, I would never walk away from the machine now. If I could weld, grind, and do other things while the machine is running I could see how the time saved will pay for itself.

Also, last question is will the wood router upgrade fit this setup? I know that's not included, but can it be added?

-Jonny
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Plasmacams advanced height control operates off of a combination of ohmic sensing and with arc voltage in combination with a very well integrated software platform (designedge) that meshes fabulously with its robotic control.

The method in which it has all been thought out and precisely integrated (with the various factors at hand) is why this machine brings you a very superb level of automation that is very stress free. Sure....the basis for this capability has a lot to do with the DHC2's ability to detect "ohmic resistance" on a conductive surface by method of various components that are integrated into to the robotic system and on plasma torch it self (an ohmic shield, retaining cap with a ohmic tab that plugs the servo plugs into via a wire)..... BUT the real innovation and the primary reason why this little machine is as good as it is actually lies in what happens behind the scenes to mesh all of this together in order work effectively.

Plasmacam has definitely gone about making its system differently than other machines and as a result has produced something that is actually in many ways much more effective than higher dollar cutting systems.

It is funny, the plasmacam actually breaks the rules when it comes to value vs innovation. It is actually very easy and very possible to buy something that costs a lot more than a plasmacam, only for it to be way less capable and a complete headache to use in comparison. For what you pay for one of these, compared to what you get and most importantly what it can do for you is nothing short of amazing!
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

Does anybody know if this upgrade offer is still available?

Also - what requirements does Plasmacam have to qualify for the offer?

Asking because I have a line on a relatively inexpensive Plasmacam which I believe is a DHC.

Does Plasmacam want the old parts sent back?
1MORECUT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 1MORECUT »

Yes , you send back the controller and the carriage I think. You need to own a DHC table.

John
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

It is a very solid deal for dhc owners. The upgraded designedge package software is included with the kit & it is at a very good price.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

The gantry is not replaced in the upgrade.

Joe
1MORECUT

Post by 1MORECUT »

The gantry tube is replaced in the upgrade.

John
Janurism
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Janurism »

I have both, DHC and DHC2. They will no longer service the DHC controllers, so if you are looking to continue cutting, save your money up for the upgrade. I recently sent in my DHC controller for repairs, and was told they no longer service or carry the old controllers, and the ONLY option is upgrade. Pretty frustrating when not planning on that expense, so now that table isn't running until I get the finances for it. If you don't upgrade, and your table goes down, you are up a creek.
1MORECUT

Post by 1MORECUT »

Janurism,
Did you buy your tables new ??

John
Joe Jones