How do you guys handle plate wattage, and height DHC

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

How do you guys handle plate wattage, and height DHC

Post by Binderman01 »

Hello guys, I've been cutting like mad lately, and have came up with some things that are bothering me that other people have to have had happen. When I load a sheet my best cuts come from the center or possibly one corner, which we all know is a huge waste. If I get away from certain spots, even during the middle of a large item when it touches the metal, it may try and pierce from way to high or while dragging. Part of this I've always said was due to sheet warpage from the heat during the cut. I'm starting to think that's only part of the problem.

I reset my z height before every item I cut, in the central location of that piece. I am set to touch material before each pierce. My stall height is .1. Now what I think happens most the time is it goes to stall, pushes the metal to the grate and obviously is way off on where the material is.

Z speed is set to 77 I believe. Ive tried running at .001 stall height and occasionally pierces the air, to me that is understandable, plasma cutting is dirty, .001 could be a piece of hard dust on the trolley Z rail.

I want to be able to nest my parts and hit go and not reset z after every cut. I've actually started cutting only 14 gauge and thicker for this reason, because it at least doesn't bow quite as bad, but still warps on some of my intricate cuts.

Someone please let me in on the secret!

Thanks all!
Luke Spencer
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How do you guys handle plate wattage, and height DHC

Post by OTHill »

Don't know if I understand your problem but if it's plate spring back spring loading your z will help a lot
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: How do you guys handle plate wattage, and height DHC

Post by PlasmaMac »

It sounds like you have one plasmacam's older system (a DHC). If you are using an older DHC, you probably need to re-calibrate the Hc by adjusting the arc voltage shift value The newer DHC2 have a more advanced height control mechanism and it is completely hands off and auto calibrates it self (automatically senses, detects the material and also has a collision avoidance feature).

There is a spot in your video manual that runs you thru this. If your issues persist, make sure give the plamacam's tech crew a call. they can definitely help, as well.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”