4x4 Metal Conveyor Belt in the Works

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

4x4 Metal Conveyor Belt in the Works

Post by Joe Jones »

I am currently building a 4x4 conveyor belt that will mount beneath the grates of a 4x4 or 5x10 table and transport any parts which fall through the grates to a trough at one end (or side) of the table. It will catch any piece larger than 3/8" square. They must be assembled by hand, so it takes some time to link the sections together. Then I have to make the axles at each end and add a small electric motor. Smoke and dust will pass through the belt to the floor or dust collection device below.

I will either assemble them to order, or just sell the plans and source the materials. I haven't decided how much energy I want to put into this yet. :lol: My neighbor is looking for side work. i can have her assemble the belts in her spare time for a $-per-foot basis. It isn't difficult. it is just time intensive.

The prototype SHOULD be working by the end of June. Gotta stop everything to make another trip to CommieFornia at the end of this month. :cry:

Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: 4x4 Metal Conveyor Belt in the Works

Post by Capstone »

I commend the Maker spirit, but while good inventions start with an idea, every great invention starts with a true market need. I can see the possible need for medium sized shops that mostly produce small parts in very large batches, but for a lot of small one-man fab shops and hobbyists, I would think the bigger need falls more towards a better way to handle larger heavy pieces of metal (>50lbs) where there's a lack of floor space or height in their shop to employ cranes. I can fish out pieces with a magnet on a stick while I'm ensuring I don't have tip-ups etc all day, but it's a major production and frankly a risk to my health to try and solo lift a 4x8 sheet onto my table with limited space. A conveyor under the table will also eliminate a huge portion of your potential customers that use water tables.

It's a good idea to get more input from actual users before getting too far in with prototyping
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There are a number of different conveyerized plasma (and laser) cutting systems in use in the world....however most are on extremely high volume 3 shift a day production applications. On the low cost side of the market where Plasmacam tables live.....this level of automation and productivity will probably not be a real popular choice based on its complexity and cost. Nice idea, can't wait to see it operate!

A long term friend in the Industrial CNC table business has just patented a large water table that uses a submerged conveyor that removes all small parts as well as the slag from high end tables. We should see it at the trade shows being marketed later this year. Jim Colt Hypertherm
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

look at chip conveyors for industrial machines as they are designed just for this
stamping plants use them all the time, i did a lot of work for chain stamping plants
tapered chutes with a 12'' or 18'' conveyor would probably pull anything up that would fall between slats including slag

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

My conveyor belt can be built for about $300.00
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Capstone wrote: I would think the bigger need falls more towards a better way to handle larger heavy pieces of metal (>50lbs) where there's a lack of floor space or height in their shop to employ cranes.
What if I were to tell you that by the end of this year I will give you a way to pick up and manipulate a 1,000 lb. steel plate without any help?

I will have something by the end of the Summer or some time in the Fall ;) I am working on several things, but life keeps getting in the way. Two trips to Commiefornia this year (so far). One was 10 weeks, the second was 10 days. Now I am going out again for three weeks, this time on my motorcycle, and then back in late September on the motorcycle (weather permitting) or in my truck, as my sister announced she is getting married. So this year was chewed up by Left Coast visits, but I want to get some things done!

I have figured out a way for a single person to pick up a 4x8 sheet of material UP TO 3/4" plate steel from a rack, and place it onto a 4x4 or 5x10 table for cutting. When done, the remnant is returned to the storage rack for further cutting at another time. No lifting. No strained muscles. No overhead crane. No trolley system. No forklift. I hope to design this to be fully operational under a eight-foot ceiling height. It will also allow you to unload the sheet from a flatbed truck by yourself and set it into your storage rack. I have rough drawings, and everything looks like it will work as imagined.

I have to get the components together and I should have a prototype built by the end of October. I will certainly put out a You Tube video of the machine when I get it done. No, it won't be cheap, but it will be affordable. :mrgreen:
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

_Ogre wrote:look at chip conveyors for industrial machines as they are designed just for this
stamping plants use them all the time, i did a lot of work for chain stamping plants
tapered chutes with a 12'' or 18'' conveyor would probably pull anything up that would fall between slats including slag

Those look really expensive!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Well, my short visit to CommieFornia turned into a 10-week stay while I dealt with my sister's affairs. On my way out, and before reaching the LEFT coast, I received a call that she was in a bad rollover car wreck in Nevada. I turned north to Reno to find her in a coma in ICU with two broken arms and severe brain damage.

So now I am back in Kentucky, having just arrived yesterday (8/22). I will get back onto my projects soon. There are several mods on the blackboard. I just have to focus!

As for the utility of a conveyor belt for a home "hobby" table, I can tell you that with a bad back and a tired, old body, even ONE piece falling to the floor, requiring a hands-and-knees retrieval makes a conveyor well worth the money and effort. :mrgreen:

little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers going up for you and your family. Will be looking forward to seeing your prototypes.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am in a frump after three months in CommieFornia. It is taking me a long time to get back into the groove. I lack motivation. There is so much to do, and I really just don't care if any of it gets done.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

Joe I know what you are going through. Been there done that. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be your old self. Just take it a day at a time.

And stop thinking! Don't think about if you feel like doing something or are motivated. Just pick a simple task and do it. Don't think about it just do it. Then do another one. Pretty soon you will be in full swing. I know it sounds easy but it isn't. But a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”