Z height control

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Z height control

Post by RobertJohnson »

I was having the hardest time with my Z axis. I had my plasma cam table figured out when I had my powermax 30 set up. Then I upgraded to a bigger cutter powermax 900, and couldn't get the cuts I had before.

I just have Basic Height control. It wasn't until I read a post, and kept reading it, that it finally made sense. I've thought this as well. I couldn't figure how to keep my torch from diving into the metal or lifting way higher than it should. It wasn't until the other day, when I messed with my arc voltage shift. I noticed, messing with that number changed my cut height. Which is dumb, why can't I just program the height, and go? If my arc shift isn't correct, the height won't be correct, and the machine doesn't cut like it should.

I'll try to post pics tonight, better to show instead of explain. Anyways, now that I have it figured out, my cutter works fine. I'm .067 off the metal for pierce and cut height. Works great. Think my arc shift is at .66 or .066, can't remember which number, but it sets the cut height at .067, right where I want it to be. No more wasted consumables. That was getting expensive.

Basic height control. I'll eventually upgrade to the advanced. Put cutting on hold for a little while, slowly getting back into it. Now that my machine is working like it should.
Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Z height control

Post by Binderman01 »

I don't know if it was user malfunction or whether it is suppose to be this way, but I normally cut 10-14 gauge. I threw some 3/8s on the table a few weeks ago and had to assist my z from 1.2 to 1.5 to get it to not drag. It might have been a fluke however. How are you measuring height off the metal?
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

There's another post that says to touch the metal, barely touch the metal, then reset your z axis height. I need to do that with my thicker steel.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Robert....if you had the advanced height control the z axis calibrates at the beginning of each cut by making ohmic contact (using the torch shield) to the plate. With that capability you simply set the height and it is always correct.

Without that......every time you change consumable or cut processes you need to adjust the arc voltage shift. Best place to get the proper procedure for that is the Plasmacam video manual...or go to the Plasmacam owners community and ask on the forum. I believe they can email you printed instructions for setting the z shift.

I'd give you the procedure....however I have been using the advance ohmic surface sensing for 9 years...and I have totally forgotten how to do the arc voltage shift setting properly! Jim Colt Hypertherm
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

You can find an wealth of information about everything having to do with your older how to set the basic height control on plasmacams owners community. Also Tech support can email you a cheat sheet on how to set this up as well.

You'll see a huge improvement in not only machine control, but amazing changes to its design capabilities compared to the outdated version. My friend upgraded his machine to the advanced finally loves it compared to the basic height (you will too).

The advanced height control is automation at its finest and is completely hands off and requires virtually no user import. It will automatically zero out the Z-axis, in between material changes and from cut to cut. The collision avoidance feature on the more advanced height control is extremely nice as well (You can walk away from the machine! because it will stop automatically if something goes wrong).

As for setting the height control on the basic (use same process used on the older DHC1 systems and please note that you do not have to do any of this stuff with plasmacam's advanced height Control).

Calibrate z shift (affects piece height only) by doing the following:

Jog the Z-axis all the way up, and then Jog the Z-axis down until you are about the thickness of a washer above the surface of the material. Try not to stall on the metal to avoid doing it over again. Next go the height control setting menu and click the ZERO butter (at the bottom). Check to make sure that your Cut Height is equal (or lower) than the pierce height. Now re-initialize the machine

Now you have to calibrate the Arc Voltage Shift (effects cut height);

Increasing and decreasing the arc voltage shift setting corresponds directly to the distance of your cut height.
therefore, you have to adjust the arc voltage shift until the torch cuts at the height you want (usually about 1/10" to and 1/8" above the material). Adjust accordingly until your torch height is set. I recommend doing a few test cuts (usually a straight line is fine)

Once the arc voltage shift is set, write it down and make sure that you note consumable set that you used as well (arc voltage varies when using different types of consumables). Arc voltage may have some minor variations when cutting mild steel, stainless or aluminum. So make sure to adjust accordingly and save your settings for the different types of material that you cut.

Here are some other things to also check in order for your height control to work optimally:

1. Cut speeds that is recommended by the manufacturer of your plasma cutter for the material type and thickness of such. (if your cuts speeds are out of whack, your torch height control may not function properly).

2. Check to make sure that your minimum and maximum cutting signal (typically it should be 3 and 12 respectively.

3. Z-axis Speed (for DHC1 or basic hc only) should between 40-50 (and never beyond 50…. this is NOT true for the DHC2 though, which is substantially more robust z-axis motor)

Don’t mess with the factory settings any for the other height control stuff or you might regret it later (i.e. height tolerance, max climb, max dive, climb zone and dive zone ).

Good luck brother,

JAG
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

IMAG2175_1.jpg
Thanks JAG!

I have Basic Height control, and DHC2 which contradicts each other. Why even sell it that way! LOL

Anyone else that may have the powermax 900, be careful with the manufacturer's recommended settings. The 14 GA and 18 GA are swapped. I think, I can't remember which two gauges are swapped, the speed for fine cut consumable aren't correct. I noticed that, after blowing through a couple sets of consumables.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman01 »

I can't see where pcam sells a upgrade from DHC to DHC2. Is it avavilable? I"d love to have the ohmic sensing and auto z calibration.
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

A longtime plasmacam owner stated that a conversion kit or a trade in trade in program was offered. He got in on it just before it ended. I guess as far as the trade ins went, it lasted for something like 5 or more years. You'd probably wouldn't have a problem selling yours and upgrading to a dhc2. People have a tendency to definitely purchase older models of plasma cam if they become available.

JAG
Binderman01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Binderman01 »

I have no problem with the table, and really don't want to spend the money to upgrade, but if i could convert to a dhc2, it'd be awesome. I can't see where you'd have to change much more than the carriage assembly and a wiring harness?
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the advanced height control, any advice once I get it? Is it that much easier to use? Sick of the table acting up. Had it dialed in for 16 GA, went to 14, now it won't cut worth a lick. I zeroed the height, I reset. I set my material height, adjusted the speed, adjust the arc voltage shift, done with basic height control. I never had this problem with my powermax 30; the 900, has been a headache. I can cut thicker material, but it's been such a headache. Hoping the advanced height control takes care of the issues I'm having.
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

Here is an overview of the "Arc Voltage Shift".
The Digital Height Control works by reading the voltage of the arc. The voltage of the arc will depend on the cutter and consumables being used. The software has no way of knowing what plasma cutter and consumables are being used. So the Arc Voltage Shift is used. You set the Cut Height to .07 and then use the Arc Voltage Shift number to calibrate the height.
The Design Edge with Height Control has a setting to automatically set the Arc Voltage Shift(AVS). It is the "Auto zero arc voltage shift on next cut".
The AVS can be manually adjusted also. Increase the AVS to raise the torch and decrease the AVS to lower the torch.

George
Rudeone
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Rudeone »

Hi,
I’m new to the group and am enjoying the wealth of knowledge here in the forum. I’m also a new owner of the Plasmacam Samson 510. Plasma unit is the Hypertherm 105. I have the DHC and have been cutting some 3/8 plate nicely with it. I thought I’d try some 1/8 sheet with the same cutting consumable and it cut ok. I then tried with some 16gauge sheet again using the same cutting consumables. 65 amp i think. On the 16gauge the tip dragged the surface, moving the sheet. I input the correct manufacturers parameters for the cutting of 16gauge, cutting height etc. but the tip dragged. Is this because i have not change the consumables to fine cut? Can this cause problems with the cut height sensor?
Rod
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Rod,

Did you go through the process of zeroing the arc voltage shift when you switched material? That's an important step that gets overlooked often. I do use Fine Cut on anything up to 10 gauge personally. The Fine Cut is much more finicky about height so proper calibration is a must with them as well.

I explain it in decent detail in the video on settings (when I get to the height control tab) on my YouTube channel if that will help. Link to that stuff is in my signature.
Rudeone
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Rudeone »

Robert,
I must admit I haven’t zeroed height control. My next stop will be to watch your vid. Thanks for the heads up. 😃
Halocreations
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Halocreations »

Hello new user with plasmacam 4x4. Needing help with the height control using the wood router.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

The Video Manual, Chapter 9 has information of setting up the router. What are your specific questions?
David
Plasmacam Routing Attachment Instructions.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

software settings 1.jpg
software settings 2.jpg
software settings 3.jpg

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”