Replacement Gantry Bearings OEM Parts

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
DieselMonkey
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Replacement Gantry Bearings OEM Parts

Post by DieselMonkey »

Yesterday I replaced the Gantry bearings (Cam Follower Bearings) on my DHC2, there are 9 of them total, plasmacam wants 19.99 ea for them, I sourced them from a local bearing shop for $13.68 ea with no shipping charges, took 3 days to get them, they are the same bearing from the same manufacturer.

Item Number CR8-1VBUU

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Few problems in life can't be solved with the generous application of a cutting torch and a taco truck.... or something like that.....
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Replacement Gantry Bearings OEM Parts

Post by jimcolt »

Yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to make money! Their markup is not bad compared to most in this industry.

Jim Colt
DieselMonkey
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DieselMonkey »

No, its not bad, I know some other manufactures love gouging prices, just figured it was worth a share for some of the guys who do this as a hobby. Then again I'm more loyal to my local shops that I deal with day in and day out than I am to PCam, guess Im still a little sore in the wallet from all those $998 software "upgrades".
Few problems in life can't be solved with the generous application of a cutting torch and a taco truck.... or something like that.....
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

As a matter of fact, every single one of those upgrades to our plasmacam machine have paid for themselves MANY MANY times over. I'm not sure what to tell anybody who complains about them. If they are not going to help you save time, money and make your cause more efficient, then that is why they are entirely optional. There are plenty of folks who have done fine with a basic set up based on their cutting needs.

Typically those that complain about price, will complain no matter what the price is. In fact, when your productivity picks up, there is no doubt that any and all of those upgrades have been worth every single penny to me and many other that I know whom use their plasmacams day in and and day out for their livelihood.

I honestly cannot think of a better system that is sold at a better price (with or without upgrades) and that is as simple to use as a plasmacam....There are not very many things (that I have come across) that can be dropped off at your shop's front door step that will allow almost anyone to be business from one day to the next, like a plasmacam. Our 4x4 with upgrades does the work of 7 men without taking smoke breaks. It is by far one of the most important tools in our shop.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The upgrades have been worth it to me. On a Torchmate machine it costs around $4000 to upgrade to torch height control. On a Plasmacam it is about $1900 (two software upgrades) and no hardware or wiring involved. Sure seems like a better deal to me!

Jim Colt
DieselMonkey
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DieselMonkey »

Well I feel like any useful conversation that could have some from this post has now been lost. I posted the number for someone who might want it, not to create a pissing match about how great plasmacam is an wether or not they make a good table, they do, ours has paid for itself. If someone wants the numbers, great, if not, great. I'll leave it at that.
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

DieselMonkey wrote:Yesterday I replaced the Gantry bearings (Cam Follower Bearings) on my DHC2, there are 9 of them total, plasmacam wants 19.99 ea for them, I sourced them from a local bearing shop for $13.68 ea with no shipping charges, took 3 days to get them, they are the same bearing from the same manufacturer.

Item Number CR8-1VBUU
Curious, how long was it before you replaced the bearings?
My machine is only a year old, and I try to keep the bearings, gantry rails and everything clean and lightly lubed, but I am still surprised at the wear my bearings are showing already.
Thanks,
Carl
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
DieselMonkey
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DieselMonkey »

Bobcat320 wrote:
My machine is only a year old, and I try to keep the bearings, gantry rails and everything clean and lightly lubed, but I am still surprised at the wear my bearings are showing already.
Thanks,
Carl

They lasted almost 3 years but the first two years of this tables life were very uneventful.
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

DieselMonkey wrote:
Bobcat320 wrote:
Thanks,
Carl

They lasted almost 3 years but the first two years of this tables life were very uneventful.
Thanks for information!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Gentry bearings certainly take a lot of abuse.....they are subject to fine particles of the material you are cutting.....which are very abrasive. I have not replaced any on my 9 year old Plasmacam.....but being a hobby machine it likely gets used a bit less than others. Having an efficient downdraft fume control keeps the machine much cleaner as well....and likely will make moving parts last longer.

Probably not a bad idea to keep a few of the bearings in stock......and drive belts!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

These are discussion forums, everyone is entitled to discuss their thoughts and opinions. You actually (sort of) seemed to complain about the high cost of software upgrades......a couple of us responded with our thoughts regarding the cost vs the benefit. That is valuable info for other users....just like getting a better price on bearings is.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

DieselMonkey wrote:Well I feel like any useful conversation that could have some from this post has now been lost. I posted the number for someone who might want it, not to create a pissing match about how great plasmacam is an wether or not they make a good table, they do, ours has paid for itself. If someone wants the numbers, great, if not, great. I'll leave it at that.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I (currently) have three tables, so I bought 48 of those bearings to keep around.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

You can purchase these bearings for $8.50 here. Minimum order of 4 bearings ($34) and free shipping.
https://www.mrosupply.com/bearings/cam- ... o-bearing/
Hope this helps someone needing them.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

little blue choo wrote:You can purchase these bearings for $8.50 here. Minimum order of 4 bearings ($34) and free shipping.
https://www.mrosupply.com/bearings/cam- ... o-bearing/
Hope this helps someone needing them.

Rick
Awesome - Thanks Rick!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yep. That is where I bought them.
Uzaree
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Uzaree »

Yea I found a place local for buying the bearings and I get them for $5-6 a piece.
Amada CO2 3500 laser
Amada NT1303 CNC Press Brake
HAAS ST35Y
HAAS VF4SS
Solidworks CAD design
Tube Bending
Welding and Fabrication

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”