Cutting Bad Curves - urgent help needed!!!

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
sion2413
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting Bad Curves - urgent help needed!!!

Post by sion2413 »

It cuts perfectly straight lines but jumps when cuts curves and swirls giving a jagged finish.
What can be the issue?

I have redrawn the artwork over 3 times and still get the problem

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting Bad Curves - urgent help needed!!!

Post by chasxjs »

I would suspect something is mechanically loose. Perhaps a stepper motor mounting or drive gear. Try powering the motors so they lock and then attempt to move the different axis's by hand while checking for any play.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Anything making noise when you move the Y or X axis?
Any debris on the screws or track or whatever setup you have?
Broken bearing?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Depending on how I look at the picture, I come up with a couple of different ideas. If I assume the X & Y axis are aligned with the grain of the metal, that is from lower left corner towards the upper right corner, it would appear the two right divots are in line with each other, which would indicate a mechanical problem. But then I look at the upper two divots, and I can see they are where you transition from a straight line into a curved line, which to me indicates a drawing problem. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to the cause. Perhaps if you post the whole drawing and cut file we can come up with better ideas.

Good luck, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

sion2413 wrote:It cuts perfectly straight lines but jumps when cuts curves and swirls giving a jagged finish.
What can be the issue?

I have redrawn the artwork over 3 times and still get the problem

I think this post might be in the wrong section, since it looks like it is not for a plasmacam machine.

All plasmacam have servos, which provide really excellent corner acceleration that can provide really smooth cuts on corners and round holes.

Anyways, if this was happening on a plasmacam machine you can control pretty much any aspect of the cutting motion, including corner acceleration (even specify lower cut speeds on smaller hole diameters) and also control rapid travel when crossing kerf to jet the overall job done faster. These perimeters can be easily adjusted for any custom job that requires precision on intricate cuts. You'll find this on your plasmacam software under Settings >Machine Control >Cutting Motion. Like so:
Cutting motion.JPG
JAG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Might try cutting a circle on one end of the table and see if it shows up. Then on the other end or another area. If it's still there and in the same spots, then it's the gear rack on the carriage and gantry top. If it's not there on both, then it's in the gear racks that are inside the rails.

One other thing to check, is to initialize and home the gantry. Pull it back against the microswitch, and look at the other corner. Is it touching too, or is it off just a bit? If it's off, then the gantry isn't in the gear racks straight. Could have been this way when you put it together, or you could have a weak spring, or the wrong spring, or maybe a hard collision. Anyways, it's easy enough to fix, just turn it off, pull the spring, and home the gantry with a small (SMALL) amount of force, and it should jump over a tooth or two and line the gears and the racks up. Reinstall the spring, and see if the prob is gone.

If it's off just a tooth or two, it will run but won't cut perfect shapes, and can sometimes bind and cause it to jump slightly, causing what you are seeing there.

Shane
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Please post the actual cut file you were using when you got these results.

I am betting that the file is bad.

If not, then there is a bit of slag on your gantry that the bearing is rolling over at a certain point, causing the carriage to jump over it and then fall back into line.

These are just guesses though. Post the file so we can really look for a problem in the cut path.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”