DHC2 Basic adjustment help

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

DHC2 Basic adjustment help

Post by Andrew_Metz »

I purchased my machine several months ago (I think in October 2014.) I have had several issues with my setup and have decided to look for more help and start with the basics.

To start this, I reverted back to the Powermax45 Operator Manual and set my pierce heights and speeds per the guide. I then attempted to cut a smallish circle, maybe 1.5" diameter. The first time the circle did not drop out and was still attached to the sheet in many places. So, I adjusted my speed and my height slightly to get a good cut. I did this several times until I was able to make several consecutive cuts.

Cut height: .07"
Cut Speed: 340
Time to pierce:.05

After this I was feeling a bit more confident... I downloaded the Friends Napkin Holder from MetalTorcher in the DXF sharing section. (Thanks for the design) I let the machine cut and then checked it out. There was an abundance of spots not cut all the way through.
IMG_1729.JPG
I am now at a loss of what to do.. I'm not sure what my next step should be to fine tuning this machine to get close to a quality cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

PlasmaCam DHC2 with Design Edge
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Unigraphics 9 (3D CAD software)
Solidworks 2013 (3D CAD software)
Adobe Photoshop
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: DHC2 Basic adjustment help

Post by WyoGreen »

What gauge steel are you cutting? What amperage?

Looking at my HT tool table, the only thing at 340 ipm I find is 22 gauge at 30 amps (with the 30 amp consumables). All the HT 45 pierce heights should be .15 inch, and cut heights are at .06 inch.
These settings work very well with my HT 45.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

I was cutting 16 gauge mild steel at 45 amps. The book actually calls for 350 ipm I believe. I can try speeding it back up and lowering the cut height..
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you are using the Powermax45 hand torch...make sure you use the shield for the machine torch....then readjust your torch height.....the torch needs to run at .06" off the material with the machine torch shield. The hand torch shield is designed for hand held cutting.....meaning that the correct height is when dragging on the material. Your pictures look like the torch is too high.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Andrew_Metz wrote:I was cutting 16 gauge mild steel at 45 amps. The book actually calls for 350 ipm I believe. I can try speeding it back up and lowering the cut height..
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

jimcolt wrote:If you are using the Powermax45 hand torch...make sure you use the shield for the machine torch....then readjust your torch height.....the torch needs to run at .06" off the material with the machine torch shield. The hand torch shield is designed for hand held cutting.....meaning that the correct height is when dragging on the material. Your pictures look like the torch is too high.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Andrew_Metz wrote:I was cutting 16 gauge mild steel at 45 amps. The book actually calls for 350 ipm I believe. I can try speeding it back up and lowering the cut height..

It appears I was using the wrong "shield." I just want to clarify that the correct one is the 220673 Shield Machine Torch?

Thanks again,
Andrew Metz
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That number is correct. If you use the hand cutting shield the arc length is incorrect for mechanized cutting with a height control system. Almost everyone that uses a hypertherm hand torch for machine cutting makes that mistake.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Well at least I'm not the only one. I have ordered the part and it will be in sometime this week. I will post my results then.

Thanks for the help,
Andrew Metz
jimcolt wrote:That number is correct. If you use the hand cutting shield the arc length is incorrect for mechanized cutting with a height control system. Almost everyone that uses a hypertherm hand torch for machine cutting makes that mistake.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The cut charts in the Hypertherm operators manual for machine cutting for stainless, aluminum and steel list the consumable part numbers right at the top of the charts. All of them show the correct shield. The confusion comes in with those that use the hand torch for machine cutting......since it is mounted on a machine you cannot drag the torch on the material with any success.....so you need to use the specs and part numbers for machine cutting. The hand torch shield is for hand cutting and provides the correct arc length when dragging, the machine torch is for machine cutting (hand or machine torch) and provides the correct arc length (voltage) when the torch is .060" above the material.

Jim Colt

Andrew_Metz wrote:Well at least I'm not the only one. I have ordered the part and it will be in sometime this week. I will post my results then.

Thanks for the help,
Andrew Metz
jimcolt wrote:That number is correct. If you use the hand cutting shield the arc length is incorrect for mechanized cutting with a height control system. Almost everyone that uses a hypertherm hand torch for machine cutting makes that mistake.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

THANK YOU..

I received the part today and it is a cutting machine now (Pun intended).. I'm going to swap out all of my consumables for new ones and see just how clean this machine can cut.

Thanks for the help.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Good to hear!!!

I have been using the machine non-stop for the past couple of months (many different projects)....not sure what I would do without it (sure beats doing stuff by hand!!)

Good luck bro,

JAG

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”