Cutting help

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutting help

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Okay, I have had my table (Plasmacam DHC2) for about 3 months and every time I use it I seem to have a different problem. I will list what consumables i'm using and the issues i'm having and would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction. I have always been on the design side and not much on the physical side of it, so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Please note I am using a hypertherm powermax 45 and the design edge software with basic height control

1st setup:
220674 Shield/Deflector
220719 Retaining Cap
220671 Nozzle
220669 Electrode
220670 Swirl Ring

I'm aware that i'm using a drag style shield/deflector but this is actually the set up that cuts the most consistently. Occasionally when cutting with this setup the head of my machine will drag causing the metal to move and the cut to be crooked or the cutter will stop cutting and I am prompted with a machine lost cutting signal error.

2nd setup: (Suggested by employee at my local welding shop.)
220717 Shield/Deflector
220719 Retaining Cap
220671 Nozzle
220669 Electrode
220670 Swirl Ring

I've only tried this setup a few times but was pretty unsuccessful. When this one cuts I get great results. The issue I have here is it doesn't always cut the lines for example when it tries to pierce it doesn't always "strike an arc" instead it just blows air and moves along the path. I am unsure of why this happens... I followed the Hypertherm manual for the heights and speeds and I get inconsistent results.

I have tried running fine cut consumable but would really like to start with the basics of getting a consistent cut every time I turn my machine on. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
A.M.
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting help

Post by wilber »

I would hate to say it as it is the first thing everyone says. Do you have the material grounded. I don't mean it is grounded when it touches the slats but i mean you have a ground clamp on the metal you are cutting. I have that problem every time i change my sheet of metal. BUT i aways forget to put the clamp back on. I have a check list but i am thinking about when i pull the clamp off hang it from a cord or rope so it will be eye level so i will remember to do it.

I could be wrong but after hearing it so much and having the same problem that is where i would start.

Wilber
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

Also plasmacam has a fourm where only they can post and lots of help over there. That is what i am told. You will need your serial number for the machine.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Yeah, we are grounded straight to a copper rod that's several feet in. Thanks for the reply though.
PlasmaCam DHC2 with Design Edge
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Unigraphics 9 (3D CAD software)
Solidworks 2013 (3D CAD software)
Adobe Photoshop
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

wilber wrote:I would hate to say it as it is the first thing everyone says. Do you have the material grounded. I don't mean it is grounded when it touches the slats but i mean you have a ground clamp on the metal you are cutting. I have that problem every time i change my sheet of metal. BUT i aways forget to put the clamp back on. I have a check list but i am thinking about when i pull the clamp off hang it from a cord or rope so it will be eye level so i will remember to do it.

I could be wrong but after hearing it so much and having the same problem that is where i would start.

Wilber
I agree, clamp the ground on the metal.

Dave Hanks
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

wilber wrote: Do you have the material grounded
I think he meant to have your plasma ground directly clamping your sheet.
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Ah yes... I quickly read and missed it. No we don't have it grounded to the sheet. Will try that and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks again.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I'd be more than happy to help you with your cut quality. More details regarding cut quality would help.....materials thickness, type of material.

You need to follow the specs in the Powermax 45 operators manual for machine torch cutting....and use the consumables recommended for machine torch cutting....even though you are using a hand torch. The drag torch shield will not be a good solution....you must use the machine torch shield as the manual recommends.

Since you have "basic" height control....you must follow the procedures in the Plasmacam video manual to calibrate the z axis and the arc voltage shift. (With the advanced height control using the ohmic contact function this process is easy).

There are no "Finecut" consumables available for the Powermax45......so when you say you used Finecut....I assume you have used the non-shielded 30 amp consumables.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Andrew_Metz wrote:Okay, I have had my table (Plasmacam DHC2) for about 3 months and every time I use it I seem to have a different problem. I will list what consumables i'm using and the issues i'm having and would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction. I have always been on the design side and not much on the physical side of it, so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Please note I am using a hypertherm powermax 45 and the design edge software with basic height control

1st setup:
220674 Shield/Deflector
220719 Retaining Cap
220671 Nozzle
220669 Electrode
220670 Swirl Ring

I'm aware that i'm using a drag style shield/deflector but this is actually the set up that cuts the most consistently. Occasionally when cutting with this setup the head of my machine will drag causing the metal to move and the cut to be crooked or the cutter will stop cutting and I am prompted with a machine lost cutting signal error.

2nd setup: (Suggested by employee at my local welding shop.)
220717 Shield/Deflector
220719 Retaining Cap
220671 Nozzle
220669 Electrode
220670 Swirl Ring

I've only tried this setup a few times but was pretty unsuccessful. When this one cuts I get great results. The issue I have here is it doesn't always cut the lines for example when it tries to pierce it doesn't always "strike an arc" instead it just blows air and moves along the path. I am unsure of why this happens... I followed the Hypertherm manual for the heights and speeds and I get inconsistent results.

I have tried running fine cut consumable but would really like to start with the basics of getting a consistent cut every time I turn my machine on. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
A.M.
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am trying to cut 16ga mild steel. I often switch between 22ga mild steel as well. When using fine cut I was using 30amp consumables.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Follow this cut chart exactly. Cut speed and cut height are the most important things. This is from the Powermax45 operators manual......you must ensure that the physical cut height is maintaining accurately. Use the correct part numbers for consumables as shown. You did not specify what the cut quality issue was. If it is dross (resolidified metal) then you are either cutting too slow or too high off the material or with too much power (amperage).

If the torch is misfiring....then ensure that the incoming air is between 90 and 120 psi (check it with the amperage knob fully ccw so air flows at the torch)....then set (with air still flowing) the regulator so the front panel air LED's are satisfied. Makes sure the torch retaining cap is not overtight....this will cause misfiring. Make sure there is no moisture coming from your air lines.
30ampcut chart.png
30amp consumables.png
Jim Colt

Andrew_Metz wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply. I am trying to cut 16ga mild steel. I often switch between 22ga mild steel as well. When using fine cut I was using 30amp consumables.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

That is the chart for 30 amp, correct? I am following the chart for 45 amp in my book. After grounding the sheet, it seems to be cutting consistently.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

Okay, new issue. When cutting small parts, some of my pieces are not dropping out. Just little pieces of metal still attached even after my loops are closed. This happens more on smaller items but happens frequently with text as well. Any ideas?

Also JimColt I have a quick question. If I am using an unshielded deflector (220717) do I need to use the 220718 nozzle or can I use the 220671?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Metz
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

This is exactly what I use for machine cutting with a powermax 45 on a plasmacam machine (the machine torch consumable set up are fully compatible on the hand held):
Pmx45 Consumables.JPG

Also, if you follow the torch set up cut charts in Hypertherm's operator manual (comes on a CD rom with your cutter), you'll be right on the money and cutting great in no time!(pay particular attention to torch to work distance,piece height, recommended cut speed ect.). Each cut chart is divided into sections according to material type, consumable type and units of measurement.

Also, the T30 consumables when used on the powermax 45, are great for cleans cuts on thin materials at 30 amps.

JAG

PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Andy,

Go to the settings menu and then under the Offset/Convert tab, look for "Gap at end of Loop" and input zero like so:

untitled.JPG
Hope this helps,

JAG

Andrew_Metz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrew_Metz »

I appreciate the help. Next time im cutting I will be sure to try your suggestions out. Thanks!
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Design Edge
AutoCAD 2014
Anvil (2D CAD Software)
Adobe Photoshop

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”