plasma cam newbie

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

plasma cam newbie

Post by bodiedyota92 »

hello everyone,

I am new to cnc plasma world. we have a 5 x 10 at work and I fell in love with these things... So I found a very nice used one that I am buying this week. I will be using my thermal dynamics cutmaster 50 with this.. I am glad I stumble on to this forum because there is a lot of knowledge shared on this website, and I am sure that I will rely on this forum till I get the hang of things as I am completely green to this... so thanks in advance. btw the table is a 4'x4' and for now I will be using the dhc software as the table is a few years old. so any beginner's advice would be awesome ...
admin
Site Admin

Re: plasma cam newbie

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will enjoy the members here and find it to be very useful.

Best of luck with getting your plasma table set up this week, there's lots of help here.
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

thanks glad to be a part of something that's is so awesome.. Cant wait to start cutting. ill post some pictures up when I get it Friday..
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

so im going to buy this table today.. Could yall give me a some things to check to make sure its in good working order.. He does not have it hooked to a cutter or computer. I know it was hooked to a thermal dynamics cut pac 100 I believe..
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

20140309_204422.jpg
20140308_220718-1.jpg
20140308_220718-1.jpg
20140308_220709_resized.jpg
20140308_220421_resized.jpg
20140308_220407_resized.jpg
20140308_154526_resized.jpg
20140308_154526_resized.jpg

so here it is. Its an older one but hardly used. Those are the original grates. The guy never had time to use it and finally got tired of it being in his way... Hardly has a scratch on it. Now I just got to get a new cutter. Should have done more research, my TD cutmaster 50 uses a high frequency start. Kinda bummed about that... But for 2500$ I paid for the table im still ahead I think. what do you guys think??

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I'm sorry that this is a late response.

You might have gotten the hardware for a good price, but since there was no computer, you will find that the software is the expensive part when it comes to Plasmacam. Of course i think this one being only the DHC isn't so bad vs the DHC2. It would have been better if it were connected to a computer so that you could then at least initiate and use the control center to see if the motors are good.

I hope this works out for you, but not seeing it run could be a costly mistake. the motors are costly if they don't work, and then again, the software is costly.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

he had the software, and i have a computer to run it.. But you are right about the motors. I went on this guys honesty so hopefully it dont bite me in the butt. Gonna try to get it hooked up and moving around this week..
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Just going off looking at the pictures and how few hours you say he had on it, I would think the motors should be okay, but obviously you won't know until you hook everything up and try it out. If everything does work sounds like you got a pretty good deal, congrats on getting a table.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

Thanks.. th guy was very honest with me. And I know him thru a mutual friend so I dont think he would have sold me something that he did not think would work... But I got alot of learning to do..
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

If he financed it, he may have just sold it for what he owed on it.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

I think im gonna just man up and buy a hypertherm. But should I get a 45 or 65? 3/8 is probably the thickest I will ever cut. Thanks for any advice.. im sure its a topic that been beat to death.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

If you already are thinking 3/8" maximum, then in the future you will be on 3/4" if you can afford it go with the 65.

Edit:

To further my information on the topic of the cutter, I will strongly urge you to make sure that you have a electrical circuit that can handle the 65 before you buy it, just something else to look at.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Product ... ax65.jsp#1

This shows roughly 50-52 Amps of input current, so I would say at least a 60 amp circuit to appropriately run this machine at 100% duty cycle, but i'm not an electrician :?
Last edited by weldor2005 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I'll second weldor2005's recommendation.

Allen
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

Wow.. That take a lot of juice.. Thanks for the input.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

bodiedyota92 wrote:Wow.. That take a lot of juice.. Thanks for the input.
Yea, in my studies of welding, I asked several of my teachers about what I needed to run equipment, they couldn't answer me. So then I learned a little bit about electricity and requirements on circuits and loads... don't take much to pop a main at full output on a plasma and your 25 amp air compressor and then the 5-10 amps drawn from the lights, whatever my radio runs.....and only a 100 amp main :(

So, I learned how to figure it all out and make sure it don't happen!

If you run the circuit for the 60 amp, and find you pop the main and not the branch, then you can always just upgrade your panel. The great part is that all the wires are already there for you :)
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
VPT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by VPT »

I have one 60amp outlet with an extension cord that a drag around from welder to welder to plasma cutter etc. Has been working out great for me.

But another thing to think about with power is not only the 60amps for the cutter but another 20+ for the compressor, 15+ for lighting in the area and more for the computer and stuff to run the table, etc.

Machine looks clean and in great condition, I wouldn't sweat it to much worrying about motors. Even if one motor is shot for some odd reason it isn't the end of the world, they are $240, cheap when you consider the big picture and what stuff could cost.
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

I got my computer ready to go.. So im gonna get it hooked up this week and check it out. Hope to get a new cutter soon too.
Dan-PlasmaCAM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dan-PlasmaCAM »

The last Software Version for that Machine is 3.11. If you don't have it go here.

https://owners-community.com/

Tech support can get it for you. There is an upgrade to DesignEdge available as well. Call me and I will send you the Transfer of Ownership form. You will need that to log in to the owners community. (No Cost).

Looks like a clean machine- Have Fun!

Dan-PlasmaCAM
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

Thanks Dan... I talked with Josh and he emailed me that form. Ok so my son got sick then I got sick but any way, I got my computer hooked up but it wont let me initialize the machine. It says to check parallel cable turn off wit 5 seconds and re try. Could the cable be bad? I got the computer from my father inlaw and he had to add a parallel port, could it be hooked up wrong? I know not much about computers. My neighbor said there are 2 kinds of parallel ports but idk. So any help would be appreciated...
VPT

Post by VPT »

Yeah I had a big problem with the parallel ports deal with my dell computer (actually bought a second computer and had same problem).

If you have a dell computer do this:

Open the plasmacam software

Go to settings

click on the "system setup" tab

In the parallel port box there are some settings to set.

First is the "base address" (hexadecimal) in this box put : 378

Check EPP optimized mode

Check low voltage port

And then click ok and try again.

If that works out you might want to go back and then try clicking the "auto detect settings" and see if anything changes and try those settings to see if it is better. If not go back to the manual settings.
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

Thanks for the reply, I tried it exactly a s you said and it still say no port detected. Mine is a dell also. I think im going to have to get some one better with computers than I am..
VPT

Post by VPT »

Let me check my table computer for the exact right parallel port address. It may have been something like 256 now that I am thinking about it again. I remember it took me a long time searching the internet to find the right one and it works good.

There is a way to check the parallel port address on your computer but I forget exactly how. It had something to do with hitting F12 (or whatever the "setup" button is) at startup of the computer. It will tell you on the screen which button to hit at start up for a few second to enter the "startup menu". In the startup menu there is a place that tells you the parallel port number address that you would put into the box in the plasmacam software.
VPT

Post by VPT »

Finally found all the info. Sorry, disregard the previous post, I was wrong (its been awhile since I did this).

You have to change the BIOS setting for the parallel port in your computer in order for plasmacam to see the computer.

Here is a link to all the instructions I followed with my dell and got it to work good.

http://plasmacam.wikispaces.com/file/vi ... amacam.pdf
bodiedyota92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bodiedyota92 »

I will try that. Thanks for your help..
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by drakus »

If memory serves me correct and my math is correct with the specs on the HT65 a 40 or 45 amp breaker is all you need for single phase.

if running at 15kW (Specs state 9kW I am over figuring) power you take 15000 (watts) / 480 (Voltage) = 31.25 (amps) Derate the circuit & multiply by 1.25 and that comes out to 39.06 so a 40/45 amp breaker should run it fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”