PLASMA CAM MODEL #98-Z

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
rholloway5960
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PLASMA CAM MODEL #98-Z

Post by rholloway5960 »

Had not been used for years and tried to set up on better computer. lenova using windows xp finaly got to inialize and now it comes with error codes module 1-21. do not know what this means. contacted plasmacam and was told they have not serviced this machine for a long time.
If this is from control board is there anybody that services them or do I have look for a different controller all together. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. CAN NOT OFFORD TO BUY A NEW PLASMA CAM. Found a pci board on amazon for computer that is suppose to support plasma cam machine don't know if this would help or not.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PLASMA CAM MODEL #98-Z

Post by tcaudle »

PCAM machines are totally proprietary and only serviced and supported by them. That is not unusual for a lot of tables but there is no option to replace parts of the machine from any other source. It all has to be from PCAM including software, hardware and support. You might be able to upgrade the machine to their newer Designedge , DHC and controls but it won't be cheap. You might be able to find a used set of controls although its doubtful it would work with your machine. Buying any used machine is a crap shoot and often asking before you do the deal could save you some frustrations.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I don't think the old 98-z can even be upgraded. It's ancient and for all purposes - obsolete. You could probably adapt someone's motors and controls, pretty much using the frame only but I'm not sure that's a big step in the right direction.

I don't know what the error you're getting means but if it has anything to do with communication to the table, a good Axion (softio.com) card and cable is a good start.
txskinney
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by txskinney »

this is from a paper I receive from Plasma cam.
The parallel port must use a standard legacy address or I will not work with versions windows Vista through 7. this means that the 98-z machine can only used with a computer that already has a parallel port on the motherboard. ( none of the pci add-on cards that we know of will work)
Don't know if this helps
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

TX I believe checking Enable Legacy plug and play support has solved this problem. I use Windows 10 with my machine, granted it is running the current version software and is NOT a 98-Z.

There is a lot of info about setting up parallel ports and the best advice comes from the manufacturer that I mentioned above. Just depends on how much time, effort, and/or money that RHolloway wants to put into this old of a machine.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If the unit "initialized" then you are past any parallel port issues. Initializing means the unit has moved to its x and y limit switches and is communicating with the computer / software. The 1-21 error code I have never heard of. I would suggest joining the Plasmacam owners community (bottom of website home page, you need your machine serial number)....there are a number of members on that site that use the 98-z on a daily basis. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”