Best choice for cut quality ?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Best choice for cut quality ?

Post by Mountain Home »

I am planning to buy a new Powermax in the next couple of weeks and am considering the PM 85, my question is can I get as good of cut quality out of the 85 as out of the smaller units such as the PM 45 or PM 65. My main interest is getting the best detail I can out of 1/4 inch and and smaller steel, but if i can get that out of the PM 85 I would prefer the capability of cutting thicker stuff also.
Thanks, Randy
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best choice for cut quality ?

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax65 and 85 will provide exactly the same quality as each other....and use the same exact torch and consumables, with the exception of course that there is a set of 85 amp consumables to use with the 85...as the 65 is limited to 65 amps.

The new Duramax (Powermax65/85) torch also has Hypertherms popular Fine Cut consumables available....these consumables are designed for finer kerf width and lowe cut speeds for more intricate cutting on materials thinner than 3/16".

The Powermax45 does not use the Duramax torch...as that torch is brand new and the Powermax45 is around a 3 year old product. The 45 torch does not have the ability to use the FineCut consumables. It does cut with its 45 amp consumables with almost identical quality as compared to the Powermax65 and 85 when they are operated at 45 amps.

So...to answer the question...the 85 and 65 cut thin materials as well or better than any previous Hypertherm air plasma system, and the latest technology allows for even better edge squareness and longer consumable life.

Jim
Mountain Home

Post by Mountain Home »

Jim, thank you very much, that answerd my question completly. I plan to order with machine torch
and buy a magnetic break away mount, would you recomend the standard size or the mini machine torch.
I am going to use it on a Samson table.
Thanks, Randy
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I would recomend the mini torch. Also would recomend the magnetic breakaway mount from Mick in Australia....it is a well designed piece of equipment, will bolt onto your Samson machine. If you need his info...let me know.

jim Colt
Mountain Home

Post by Mountain Home »

Thanks Jim, the mount that Mick makes is the one that I had in mind and your recomending it helps me
to know that it is a good decision.
Thanks again, Randy

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”