Hypertherm Copper Plus Electrodes

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hypertherm Copper Plus Electrodes

Post by Ironken »

Just a quick poll.....I'm about to order another load of consumables. I'm looking for opinions on the Copper Plus electrodes. Advantages, cut quality, life?

Also, if the electrodes last longer and Hypertherm recommends to swap the nozzle along with the electrode when replacing....will the nozzle keep up with the electrode in terms of life?

I usually cut no thicker than 1/2" and generally 16g or 11g finecut.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Copper Plus Electrodes

Post by jimcolt »

The Copper plus is for 1/2" or thinner, and with clean air and running at the book cutting specs you will typically get twice the life from this electrode as compared to the standard electrode, meaning the cost per cut is lower. Nozzle life is dependent on proper piercing height and pierce delay time. One pierce too close to the material, or starting motion before the pierce is complete can damage a nozzle. Piercing correctly and according to the specs in the Hypertherm cut charts....and you can expect the copper plus electrode and nozzle to last on a 1: 1 basis. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Thank you, Jim! I run straight book settings on my JD2 MAD table. I'm going to give the Copper Plus a try.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I run copper plus nozzles on 1/2" or less material. I really like them. I've been told they are more finicky on air pressure/quality, as are the fine cut nozzles. So, if you pair fine cut nozzle with CopperPlus electrode, you need a really good air supply to avoid issues. That being said, I run that combo quite a bit.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Thanks for sharing motoguy. The Hypertherm consumables catalog doesn't show the Copper Plus electrodes as an option for the Finecut consumables. I'll give them a go.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I use the Copper Plus with fine cut all the time and have no problems. Electrodes seem to last about twice as long.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Thank you ChooChoo!
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I agree, they last longer. In addition, the hafnium (sp?) doesn't retract into the electrode until the very end of their life. This means (if you are using a CandCNC system) that I don't have to change the cut volts to adjust for the eroding electrode. It can stay the same until the very end of the electrode.

If you are using a table that "learns" the correct voltage at the beginning of a cut, this likely isn't an issue for you.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I am finding that the Copper Plus is more sensitive with a swirl ring that is wearing out. I use a standard electrode with the finecut nozzle without issues. When I switch to a 65 amp nozzle and Copper Plus electrode with the same swirl ring, I get errors. I now keep a newer swirl ring ready for the copper plus and end up with fewer (or no) errors.

I wonder if this is to be expected and, more importantly, do others notice this, too??
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

OK

I use the copper + electrodes with Finecuts and find they work well. I just bought another 20 pack of the copper plus electrodes to get me through the first of next year.

John

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”