Replacing PowerMax 45 with 45 XP on DHC2

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Replacing PowerMax 45 with 45 XP on DHC2

Post by rickjamesbish »

Currently have the PowerMax 45 on my PlasmaCam DHC2 with hand torch. The table is basic configuration with none of the fancier features. I am able to cut everything I need, which mainly consists of 11 gauge and thinner metal art. The thicker material is typically less artistic cuts like plates with holes to make brackets, etc. I have no complaints really on the performance of the PowerMax and my current set up.

My question is if I were to replace the PowerMax 45 with the 45 XP with machine torch, will I be gaining any real advantage ? My interest really is in the fine cut consumables but will these really make a noticeable difference with the table being a base configuration ?

The option to upgrade to the cool features like the cut speed automatically adjusting in radius, automatic height control, etc are not options for me due to cost. I think its somewhere around $2,000 to $3,000 or maybe more for those features due to the way PlasmaCam packages them, otherwise I would keep my current torch and upgrade to those features.

My plan, if the XP will provide finer cuts with my current config, is to sell the PowerMax and then I only need to come up with the difference for the XP.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Replacing PowerMax 45 with 45 XP on DHC2

Post by SeanP »

Just buy the duramax torch, you don't really gain a lot with the XP unit, cuts are identical.
I switched but ended up selling the XP and kept the old 45 with the XP torch.
Fine cuts are great.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
rickjamesbish
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rickjamesbish »

SeanP wrote:Just buy the duramax torch, you don't really gain a lot with the XP unit, cuts are identical.
Fine cuts are great.
So you mean the XP Torch will connect to the Hypermax 45 and allow me to use fine cut consumables ? If so what part number is the torch ?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Not sure off hand, the XP torch or the duramax torch for 65 to 105.
Finecuts with that torch cut identical on the XP or the old 45 unit.
Just use XP cut charts to start with, if you get any probs slow down a little and raise cut height a bit.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I use the machine torch off a Hypertherm 65 on my 45XP. Just does not have the lock out.. Which does zip for me.. Cuts the same as the 45XP machine torch. Although you can use my torch on a 85/65 too..
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

This is a bit misleading: The Powermax45XP has a higher load voltage rating so it cuts a bit faster, has an auto air pressure sensor that compensates the air pressure based on led length, consumable wear providing longer consumable life and more consistent cut quality. Further, the Powermax45XP has the ability to mark plate as low as 10 amps using either air or argon (best marking quality), and has the ability to use the Finecut consumables for best quality on materials thinner than 10 gauge. The 45XP is smaller and lighter, has an optional voltage divider with CPC machine interface with 5 different divided output voltage ratios (to work with virtually all brands of THC systems including Plasmacam) and also has an optional RS485 serial interface for more advanced CNC machine use. You can get a plug and play cable from www.pjmetalfab.com for use of the 45XP on a Plasmacam, you cannot for the older Powermax45. So, smaller, lighter, faster, thicker, better cuts on thin material, marking, better machine interface and similarly equipped has the same list price as the original Powermax45! Much nicer machine, especially in mechanized cutting applications.

You can put the newer Duramax torch on the older 45, and you can use the Finecut consumables. (just no marking, no auto air, same load voltages and duty cycles, no plug and play interface to Plasmacam, etc.)

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

SeanP wrote:Just buy the duramax torch, you don't really gain a lot with the XP unit, cuts are identical.
Fine cuts are great.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”