Powermax 45 Gas Setting Not Working

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 45 Gas Setting Not Working

Post by sjo426 »

So recently I've been having issues with the plasma torch firing and over the last week or so the gas setting was becoming increasing difficult to get to come on (turning the amperage knob all the way counterclockwise). I replaced the internal regulator but that didn't work so I thought there might some blockage so I opened the machine and blew out the lines as best I could. The only couple of odd things I see (and trust me I'm no expert at this type of troubleshooting) is that when I blew into the bottom arrow of the pic the air came through the top arrow of the pic. Should the air have come out of the hole to the left?.....as this is where the tube goes to the regulator? And with the cover off and I try to set the gas setting I can hear a clicking where that white box/part/doohickey is in the pic.

Thanks!
Hyper.png
Hyper.png (418.51 KiB) Viewed 327 times
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45 Gas Setting Not Working

Post by jimcolt »

You have a dirty, sticking solenoid valve. One of the ports is the pressure to the torch, the other is the bleed down port that releases pressure to the torch so it will refire while in post flow. You could take the solenoid apart and attempt to clean it...or replace it. I'd suggest contacting tech service for any advice! technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . Jim Colt Hypertherm
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Powermax 45 Gas Setting Not Working

Post by sjo426 »

So I'm back up and running, and will try to explain as best I can without the terminology prowess of others.....so I removed the solenoid valve and then separated the right side of the valve (see pic) which allowed me to push on the piston (or whatever it is). I could definitely tell it was stuck/sticky so I sprayed a little WD40 down the hole and could work it back and forth. Anyway, while I'm still going to replace, when I put it all back together it was working again.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction Jim!!!

Shane
Attachments
plasma.png
plasma.png (279.41 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”