Powermax 85...burning smell

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Powermax 85...burning smell

Post by jbc28 »

I have a 85 that I bought new back in 2014. It gets used about 10 hrs a week on average. Lately I have noticed when the cooling fan cuts on it has a faint burning smell. If you have ever smelled electronics that "has let the smoke out" this is what it reminds me of. So far it is operating flawlessly, no codes, or any other thing that would indicate a problem. Has anyone else noticed this with a Hypermax? I wondering if there is something I could check before a bigger problem develops. Thanks.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85...burning smell

Post by see&see »

In my case that happened once when I needed to blow the dust and lint out of the cooling flow area.. Maybe time to remove the panels and give er a good cleaning..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I would remove the cover from your Hypertherm (not Hypermax) Powermax85 and blow it out with an air hose. You may find something inside (bugs, dust, debris) that is making the smell. If an electronic point is burning you will likely see it immediately with a good once over inspection. Disconnect power before removing the cover...there are voltages up to 800 volts on the main Power board. Jim Colt Hypertherm
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

Thanks for the info. Yes Hypertherm...not max. Autocorrect kicked in there. I will pull the cover and check it out. I do have a 45xp that can be used as a back up, but I hope it just needs a cleaning.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

I know this has been a while but I wanted to give an update. No problems with the cutter. I had a loose connection in the plug that caused it to heat up and melt the plastic.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”