HELP! Production ALL Stop until solution! Jesus, Jim Colt, Somebody!

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HELP! Production ALL Stop until solution! Jesus, Jim Colt, Somebody!

Post by ssmtyper »

I have a roughly 6 month old PM45XP. It started this deal where sometimes it goes into a fault with the lights; Powr supply/Air/Ac all on solid.... I rechecked/changed consumables. Checked Air PSI 100 times. swapped to a different compressor with a different APR to be sure... Swapped to the Hand torch and still the same... With the hand torch I made a Video to show what its doing... The 45is fluttering the air psi, best I can describe... Watch the vid... https://youtu.be/ghqSgtDO_RU
Last edited by ssmtyper on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: HELP! Production ALL Stop until solution! Jesus, Jim Colt, Somebody!

Post by urbnsr »

Is it possible that there is something restricting the air flow? Teflon thread sealing tape drawn in, possibly?

Paul
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ssmtyper »

Hmm. I pulled the case cover. And don't see anything through the clear air lines... AND oddly enough it works perfectly sometimes still. For example. Just after I posted this I cut two different items flawlessly (roughly 30 min total cut time)...
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

It sounds to me like it's something internal, but wanted to be sure... you have a pressure gauge at the back of the machine right?
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ssmtyper »

I have tested with two different air compressors with different air regulators and different hoses... Though in both have gauges at tank side area... It's odd because it sounds as though something inside the cutter housing is trying to back the air off but it flutters to the point that during a cut the unit reads as low psi or something... And then farting with it a bit it will cut fine for a while again with no fluttering and no fault stops...
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ssmtyper »

I notice in my vid I say "power supply, air supply, and a/c lights" the one I called power supply I'm thinking the book calls something to do with electrode... But I've chased that idea down also to no avail
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As always....technical service is the best choice, the email and phone numbers are listed near the front of your operators manual. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 .

My first thought is to install an air pressure gauge hard plumbed at the inlet to the system. Read the gauge at static pressure, then activate air flow at the torch....read the same gauge again. You will see the pressure drop when you activate the torch....if it drops too low then that indicates some sort of air line restriction. Often the internal electronic air regulator will flutter if it is not being supplied adequate pressure. Could be an air hose with a small ID, air hose too long, too many filters, valves, fittings, plugged or frozen filters, etc. Jim Colt Hypertherm
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ssmtyper »

10-4. Thank you Sir... I will take these steps.
ssmtyper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ssmtyper »

UPDATE! it was the Solenoid pack, Hypertherm was a great help! All fixed up!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”