Duramax torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Duramax torch

Post by Old Iron »

Two questions:
Is it worth buying a retro fit Duramax machine torch for my PM600 or am I better off buying a PM 65?
Will I get the same cut quality from the PM600 + Duramax machine torch as I will from a PM65 (up to the 600's machines thickness limit)?

Thanks Jim
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Duramax torch

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax 600 is a 40 amp air plasma from Hypertherm, it was last produced about 12 years ago. It was replaced by the 45 amp Powermax45, which was replaced a year ago by the newer technology Powermax45XP. So the Powermax600 compares closer to the Powermax45 and 45XP than it would with the 65 amp Powermax65.

The Powermax 600 is rated for production cutting and piercing on 3/8" steel.....it can cut thicker, but that is the maximum recommended pierce thickness. Upgrading to the Duramax torch buys you faster cut speeds , better cut quality and longer consumable life, however the recommended thickness stays the same as the Power supply thickness (3/8") as that is the limitation on cutting power.

The Powermax45 is rated for production cutting and piercing on 1/2", as is the Powermax45XP. The Powermax65 is rated for 5/8" production cutting and piercing.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Duramax torch

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond to my questions.
I'll be purchasing a 45XP to replace my 600
Jim Hunt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”