Newbie questions about powermax 105

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
williamgray
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie questions about powermax 105

Post by williamgray »

We screwed up and bought a TD 102. fine hand cutting, lots of issues with a table.
We are looking for something that will pierce and cut 1" steel. Being able to use the finecut consumables would also be nice.
I did not see much on the specs for the 105. I was looking at the 85 but I saw it would only pierce up to 3/4"

Would the 105 be fine cutting 1" mild steel, and also is it available as a single phase unit? I have 3 phase 240 in the shop but the outlets for the TD cutter are already ran, but they are only 240 single phase. Also, what torch would be recommended?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie questions about powermax 105

Post by djreiswig »

I believe the largest single phase machine is the 85.
If you can use a ramp pierce, you may be able to pierce 1". I have a 65 and have pierced 3/4" using a ramp pierce.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

If you have three phase, you only need to add one more wire to the conduit for three phase. If you are pulling single phase (two of the three phases) you are paying the electrical company for all three. The electrical meter is billing you for the highest usage phase.
Often find business that can benefit from have a load study done and then moving loads around to balance out all three phases.
Even a HT85 will be about 30% more efficient on 3phase (lower electric bills) than single.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax85 will operate on single phase power and is rated to pierce 3/4" steel, can sever to 1-1/2" with an edge start. The Powermax105 can only run on three phase power, can pierce 7/8" steel, and can sever 1-3/4" with an edge start. The Powermax125 is rated to pierce 1" steel, sever to 2", again, 3 phase power only.

If you need to cut a lot of 1" steel on a cnc table we would recommend one of our 100% duty cycle liquid cooled plasma systems. The MaxPro200 is one choice, or you could step up to the high definition class HPR260XD. (three phase only for each of these systems).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

williamgray wrote:We screwed up and bought a TD 102. fine hand cutting, lots of issues with a table.
We are looking for something that will pierce and cut 1" steel. Being able to use the finecut consumables would also be nice.
I did not see much on the specs for the 105. I was looking at the 85 but I saw it would only pierce up to 3/4"

Would the 105 be fine cutting 1" mild steel, and also is it available as a single phase unit? I have 3 phase 240 in the shop but the outlets for the TD cutter are already ran, but they are only 240 single phase. Also, what torch would be recommended?
williamgray
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by williamgray »

Replaced the TD 102 with a Powermax 85. The machines are worlds apart. the PM85 is giving us excelent cut quality. Just decided to run three phase. I could not talk the owner into a 105 right now but its possible in the near future.
Thanks for the help Jim!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”