It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:05 pm

 

Powermax 65/85/105 family

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rbmgf7
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby rbmgf7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

How long has the Hypertherm's PM 65/85/105 models been in service? Just wondering for future growth.

I currently have an old PM45 (non XP). It does well but customers are coming to me with thicker stuff. The 45 can handle it but would be nice to reduce cycle time and increase my cutting capabilities (fine cut would be nice).

I've wrote HT on how long they intend to support the old 45 and they said it would be a for a while since it was their most popular plasma (good news for those of us with the old PM) but they can't tell me if they're working on new plasmas in their larger family.

I would hate to get to the point when I'm ready to upgrade, purchase a current PM85, and then HT releases new 65/85/105s.

If HT were to release new 65/85/105 plasmas, I wonder if they plan on keeping the Duramax style mech. torch and consumables since the 45XP is based on the bigger models?

jimcolt
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby jimcolt » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:41 pm

The Powermax65 and 85 models will be 7 years old in November 2017. The Powermax105 is about 5-1/2 years in production. With successful, reliable products we like to try to get at least a 10 year product life....then we will likely redesign (like we did with the Powermax45 to 45 XP transition) with the latest and greatest electronics technology, more power supply efficiency and better torch consumable life, cut quality and reliability.

We support older generation plasma cutters for as long as we can still get PC board components, etc. Usually that is in the 12 to 15 year range at least. We support all other parts...such as consumables and torches as long as there is demand. We still produce consumables and torches for one of our large industrial plasma cutters that was first manufactured in 1976!

I'm pretty sure you will see some new torch technology as we introduce newer products. If we develop something that performs better in our labs....why shouldn't we offer it!

By the way...you will see an announcement soon regarding upgrading the Powermax45 to the same Duramax torch that we use on the other systems...this gives you Finecut consumables as well as longer consumable life and better long term torch reliability. With 106,000 Powermax45's in the field....we certainly will pay attention to supporting them.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

User avatar
SeanP
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Co Kerry, Ireland

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby SeanP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:55 pm

jimcolt wrote:
By the way...you will see an announcement soon regarding upgrading the Powermax45 to the same Duramax torch that we use on the other systems...this gives you Finecut consumables as well as longer consumable life and better long term torch reliability.

Jim Colt Hypertherm


That's good news, might well give that a try.
Powermax 45XP
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw X8, Solidworks
Table build gallery

rbmgf7
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby rbmgf7 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:16 am

jimcolt wrote:The Powermax65 and 85 models will be 7 years old in November 2017. The Powermax105 is about 5-1/2 years in production. With successful, reliable products we like to try to get at least a 10 year product life....then we will likely redesign (like we did with the Powermax45 to 45 XP transition) with the latest and greatest electronics technology, more power supply efficiency and better torch consumable life, cut quality and reliability.

We support older generation plasma cutters for as long as we can still get PC board components, etc. Usually that is in the 12 to 15 year range at least. We support all other parts...such as consumables and torches as long as there is demand. We still produce consumables and torches for one of our large industrial plasma cutters that was first manufactured in 1976!

I'm pretty sure you will see some new torch technology as we introduce newer products. If we develop something that performs better in our labs....why shouldn't we offer it!

By the way...you will see an announcement soon regarding upgrading the Powermax45 to the same Duramax torch that we use on the other systems...this gives you Finecut consumables as well as longer consumable life and better long term torch reliability. With 106,000 Powermax45's in the field....we certainly will pay attention to supporting them.

Jim Colt Hypertherm


Nice. Good to know. Looking forward to the next series.

I was a production engineer for an automotive company for a few years. New model cycles every two years. Talk about overhaul!

BTA Plasma
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby BTA Plasma » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:19 am

That is great news Jim!

User avatar
SeanP
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Co Kerry, Ireland

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby SeanP » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:19 pm

[quote="jimcolt"
By the way...you will see an announcement soon regarding upgrading the Powermax45 to the same Duramax torch that we use on the other systems...this gives you Finecut consumables as well as longer consumable life and better long term torch reliability. With 106,000 Powermax45's in the field....we certainly will pay attention to supporting them.

Jim Colt Hypertherm[/quote]

Jim I was making enquiries about the Duramax machine torch upgrade for the PM45 he said it was just the same part number as the XP45 machine torch, just checking that this is right?

I'm still in two minds whether or not to just go for the XP, would I really be missing out on cut quality if I just changed the torch?

Thanks in advance

Sean
Powermax 45XP
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw X8, Solidworks
Table build gallery

Brand X
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby Brand X » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I remember when it was posted that using a 45XP torch on a 45 would cause the world to fall off it's axis.. :lol:

I would sell your old 45 machine torch to recoup some of your cash, and go with the xp torch.. Although the 45 XP power supply is just excellent on every level.

jimcolt
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby jimcolt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm

BrandX........what was said was in reference that we had never tested the Duramax (spring electrode) torch on the original 45. The timing as well as the ramping of pilot and cutting current and pilot and cutting air pressures can dramatically affect the life of consumables as well as cut quality. Now that we have had the time to do reliability testing (takes 8 months or more).....we have blessed the use of the Duramax torch on the original 45. Part numbers from the Powermax65, 85, 105 torches will plug into the original Powermax45. We (Hypertherm) do not promote any of our products or upgrades until we prove to ourselves that they work under field conditions. Jim Colt Hypertherm

User avatar
Capstone
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Washington D.C. Metro
Contact:

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby Capstone » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

jimcolt wrote:BrandX........what was said was in reference that we had never tested the Duramax (spring electrode) torch on the original 45. The timing as well as the ramping of pilot and cutting current and pilot and cutting air pressures can dramatically affect the life of consumables as well as cut quality. Now that we have had the time to do reliability testing (takes 8 months or more).....we have blessed the use of the Duramax torch on the original 45. Part numbers from the Powermax65, 85, 105 torches will plug into the original Powermax45. We (Hypertherm) do not promote any of our products or upgrades until we prove to ourselves that they work under field conditions. Jim Colt Hypertherm


Jim, How should we go about calculating the cutting charts if we wanted to get a Duramax Machine Torch for our old PM45?

Any official announcements coming, say at FabTech on this subject?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
Cheap Royalty-Free Graphic Stock Images
DIY 4x4", VeloxCNC "Z" & C&CNC, MACH3, SheetCAM
HT PM45, WeldPAK 180

Brand X
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby Brand X » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Actually the post was about the load voltage the torch runs at, and duty-cycle of the 45 was going to be affected quite a bit.. Did that change or what?

jimcolt
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby jimcolt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am

I am sure there will be a downloadable cut chart for those that want to put the Duramax torch on the Powermax45. I am not sure if there will be any particular announcement at the Fabtech show regarding the use of the Duramax torch on the Powermax45, though a number of us will be present to be able to discuss it. Hypertherm will be in four different booths at the show....so make sure you find the one that is showing the Powermax systems in the welding pavilion....which is where I will be much of the time.

If you put a Duramax on the Powermax45 today....I would suggest that you use the 45 Amp shielded cut chart from the original Powermax45, and use the Finecut chart from the newer Powermax45XP for that process. (The shielded processes are almost identical).

Jim Colt Hypertherm



Capstone wrote:
jimcolt wrote:BrandX........what was said was in reference that we had never tested the Duramax (spring electrode) torch on the original 45. The timing as well as the ramping of pilot and cutting current and pilot and cutting air pressures can dramatically affect the life of consumables as well as cut quality. Now that we have had the time to do reliability testing (takes 8 months or more).....we have blessed the use of the Duramax torch on the original 45. Part numbers from the Powermax65, 85, 105 torches will plug into the original Powermax45. We (Hypertherm) do not promote any of our products or upgrades until we prove to ourselves that they work under field conditions. Jim Colt Hypertherm


Jim, How should we go about calculating the cutting charts if we wanted to get a Duramax Machine Torch for our old PM45?

Any official announcements coming, say at FabTech on this subject?

User avatar
SeanP
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Co Kerry, Ireland

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby SeanP » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for the info Jim.
Powermax 45XP
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw X8, Solidworks
Table build gallery

jimcolt
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby jimcolt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

That is part of what the delay in backing the use of the Duramax torch on the original Powermax45 was ......along with other things such as current up/down ramps, air up and down ramps, etc. Hypertherm tries hard not to introduce technology until we are quite sure it will work without causing failures in the field, so we tested the heck out of it in our reliability labs. I have been using the Duramax torch for cutting on my old Powermax 45 for over 5 years...and many others were as well. Now it will be an approved upgrade, blessed by the electrical and process engineers! Jim Colt


Brand X wrote:Actually the post was about the load voltage the torch runs at, and duty-cycle of the 45 was going to be affected quite a bit.. Did that change or what?

mechanicalmongoose20
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby mechanicalmongoose20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 am

jimcolt wrote:That is part of what the delay in backing the use of the Duramax torch on the original Powermax45 was ......along with other things such as current up/down ramps, air up and down ramps, etc. Hypertherm tries hard not to introduce technology until we are quite sure it will work without causing failures in the field, so we tested the heck out of it in our reliability labs. I have been using the Duramax torch for cutting on my old Powermax 45 for over 5 years...and many others were as well. Now it will be an approved upgrade, blessed by the electrical and process engineers! Jim Colt


Brand X wrote:Actually the post was about the load voltage the torch runs at, and duty-cycle of the 45 was going to be affected quite a bit.. Did that change or what?



Thanks Jim for all you do for the community. I have never seen someone so invested in the customer. YOU are the reason a Pmax85 is sitting in my cart waiting for me to hit confirm.

See you at fabtech2017!!!!!

jimcolt
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby jimcolt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 am

Push the button! You will like the 85.

Mine has been used and abused in my home shop for over 7 years now (it was an alpha test unit....so I had an 85 before we sold a single one!). The Alpha units are first builds that immediately take up residence in the temperature, humidity, dust and vibration chambers in our reliability labs....generally for a year or more while cutting metal (automated process so it can run 24-7 if needed). We expect the alpha units to fail in the various chambers (they are also operated at higher amperage output than designed for)....when failure occurs they get an autopsy, the failure analyzed, a beefier design is made and back to the chamber for the next failure. This testing is not complete until the units essentially stop failing. Then.....we build the Beta units that get into the field for use in the real world. Once satisfied with the alpha and beta's.....we review the whole project (sometimes takes 2 years or more), determine if the product is worthy and announce it's availability. The Powermax65 and 85 (the same design, just different power components for different amperage outputs) are a testament to the reliability testing process. Best regards, Jim Colt

User avatar
see&see
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm
Location: Minden, Nevada

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby see&see » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 am

Not long ago this year in Australia there was a Powermax 85 in a flood and was underwater for a day or so. The owner dried it out and is now using it successfully again. The owner posted some pictures of 1/2" MS cuts and It seems to be cutting perfect, just like new. Amazing!
PlasmaCam DHC2 4 x 4 & Sampson 510 Snap 'n Cut w/Safety Switch Interface Hypertherm 85 & 45XP

Brand X
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby Brand X » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 am

see&see wrote:Not long ago this year in Australia there was a Powermax 85 in a flood and was underwater for a day or so. The owner dried it out and is now using it successfully again. The owner posted some pictures of 1/2" MS cuts and It seems to be cutting perfect, just like new. Amazing!


I bought a Thermal dynamics (Year 1999) 38XL model on ebay for $129.00 I washed it out with a garden hose, let set half a day in the sun. Fired it off, with a upgraded torch,and works perfect.. Nothing new here except mine is 18 years old.. :lol: It really is a great USA built machine, even too this day..

Othog
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby Othog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 am

I am new to all of this. I have a Powermax 65 on my plasma table. Cuts great, when I want to cut 16 gauge metal I am pretty sure that it would do better with 45 amp consumables, What do I need to buy to accomplish this? I do not think that I need fine cut, any help would be appreciated

User avatar
acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 2821
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Powermax 65/85/105 family

Postby acourtjester » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 am

use the shielded 45 nozzle setup if you want but the shielded fine cut is what I use, the shields are not the same, both with 45 amps. Use a 0.090" pierce and 0.080" cut height works just fine on my 65 :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig


Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest