new duramax torch questions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

new duramax torch questions

Post by i_r_machinist »

I finally got around to wiring up the new hypertherm 85 machine and Duramax cutter this weekend. I made my own magnetic holder years ago and just modified it to hold the Duramax on my Plasmacam table. I have a refrigerated air dryer for moisture removal. Whith the 220854 retaining cap screwed on, there is a gap between it and the body of the torch, as seen in the picture. Do I have something wrong?
hypertherm.jpg
hypertherm.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Also, with the finecut tip, I can cut 12 ga. steel at 120 ipm. While that is 70% faster than what I was cutting, it is nowhere near what the manual states as cutting speed. Any ideas on that?
thanks
i_r_
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: new duramax torch questions

Post by i_r_machinist »

hypertherm2.jpg
I'll try for a better picture.
i_r_
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The gap is normal. What is the brass thing to the right side of the picture?

I guarantee that you can achieve the cut speeds in the manual. If you cannot, then something is wrong....these will affect speed: height, condition of consumables, inlet air pressure, cut air pressure, choice of consumables, amperage, and of course material type and thickness.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

The brass thing is my THC sensor ring.
i_r_
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Is it ohmic sensing? If so, why don't you use the ohmic retaining cap and appropriate shields?

Jim Colt
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by i_r_machinist »

Jim,
I'm in Dublin Texas, 90 miles west south west of the DFW metroplex. If I can't make it, it is just like the pomade in "Brother, where art thou." We are two weeks from everywhere. I thought that I could buy the right consumables from the local AirGas stores when I ordered this torch, but...., NO.
Anyway, Jim,
I want to tell you that I really enjoy the youtube videos that you, and you and that young welder are doing. I don't remember his name but he is like you, a true ambassador of the trade. Me and my son watch those all the time. That young man is going places.
thanks
i_r_

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”