"Flying Z" issue- Powermax 45xp

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

"Flying Z" issue- Powermax 45xp

Post by Bobkovacs »

I've started having an unusual issue with my 6-month old 45xp- it happened two time randomly a while back (just one pierce each time), did it a few times the other day with one file, and now it's doing it on every file I tried to cut tonight (including some that I've cut dozens of times with no issues, so I don't think it's a software/file issue). Basically, the torch will touch down, fire, and as it starts moving, it rises off the table anywhere from 1/2" to 3" as it continues to move with the arc just flaming away in mid-air. It then touches down for the next pierce and either cuts fine, or does the same trick again. Meanwhile, the THC readings start going all over the place, starting at the 95 or so that I set it at, down into the 20's, 30's and 40's as the torch flies through the air. I've also tested it with a file with no path rules (which I believe also shuts off the THC), and had similar results.

I've changed the consumables twice to rule that out, and also changed the dessicant in my air drier even though it wasn't needed yet, just to rule out water in the line.

Anyone have any ideas??
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: "Flying Z" issue- Powermax 45xp

Post by jimcolt »

It sounds like a height control issue. If you are seeing 20 volts on your height control readout...and the plasma is cutting, I guarantee that the plasma arc voltage is over 75 volts....the torch will not cut at any less than that. What cnc machine and height control? Jim Colt Hypertherm
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: "Flying Z" issue- Powermax 45xp

Post by Bobkovacs »

It's a Delusional Designs table with a Proma THC. Spoke to him this morning and new electronics are being shipped out overnight, as he also thinks it sounds like a THC or control board issue. The THC is set for 95v, and shows that as it pierces, but runs off into the 20's as the torch moves up off the material.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”